Another Boston pool hall bites the dust

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
twister said:
Another sad day for Boston pool players as Boston Billiard Club, one of the only decent places left to play anywhere near the city shut down last week (this article is mainly on the closing of their facility in West Springfield, MA, but it mentions the Boston location closing towards the end):

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/wwlp_local_business_westspfldbostonbilliardclubclosed_200901061624
That's a shame. It is one of the few Boston rooms I never spent much time in, because naturally I prefer the poolroom like rooms, versus the "night club with pool tables" that the BBC was (to me anyway). That leaves Country Club in Chelmsford & World Class in Saugus. What else is left?

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Yeah, I didn't much like the atmosphere either as I'd much rather spend time in a smaller, or at least more serious pool hall, but they had nice tables, were located in central Boston and had some decent early rates for practice time. I even played a little one-pocket there, which was surprising. Now, yeah, there isn't really anywhere left in Boston. Plenty of college kid and night club pool halls, but nowhere resembling a real pool hall with serious players. How is the one-pocket at Country Club these days? I haven't been there in a long time.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
twister said:
Yeah, I didn't much like the atmosphere either as I'd much rather spend time in a smaller, or at least more serious pool hall, but they had nice tables, were located in central Boston and had some decent early rates for practice time. I even played a little one-pocket there, which was surprising. Now, yeah, there isn't really anywhere left in Boston. Plenty of college kid and night club pool halls, but nowhere resembling a real pool hall with serious players. How is the one-pocket at Country Club these days? I haven't been there in a long time.

Hey man.......How's my ex-One Pocket student doing there in Boston ?....are you still playing ?....did you get better or worse, or neither ?.....:)

- Ghost

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Hey Ghost. I definitely haven't gotten better as there isn't really much competition or places to play around here. I haven't been playing at all really either because of the same reasons and also I got a kid now, which is always an easy excuse. I really don't think there's a single pool hall within 20 miles of Boston right now where you could find a decent game of one-pocket on a regular basis. I need to move to the burbs and get a basement big enough for a 9' diamond... :D