another nevel/owen

John Brumback

Verified Member
Does draw (or follow) on the CB really have much effect on bank angles, especially when either of these is true?

- the OB would be rolling anyway when it hit the rail
- the bank angle is steep

pj <- questioning the President of the Bank :eek:
chgo

Well,it sure won't help to shorten it up like the way I would shoot it. Draw for sure makes most banks go long.Also draw will make the pocket play small on most banks. JB

PS: question away:)

John Brumback

Verified Member
Hey. That reminds me of one of my old prop bets. You have to go inside the two balls frozen on the center diamonds without touching them. I use to miss this a few times until I could get somebody to ask me what I was doing. Then I would let them try it a few times. Use maximum center draw. I'm sure it was easy for SuperDuck, but I missed it a couple of times, even when trying. I liked to get two tries, and be careful using house cues with bad tips..

I used to get people with that one too. Goin to get my buddys on it the next chance I get:lol Thanks for the reminder.. JB JB

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Does draw (or follow) on the CB really have much effect on bank angles, especially when either of these is true?

- the OB would be rolling anyway when it hit the rail
- the bank angle is steep

pj <- questioning the President of the Bank :eek:
chgo

Yeah, high english on the CB will shorten a bank, whereas low english will lengthen them. I don't know at what angle the effect is diminished, or what the maximum transfer is at which angle. Perhaps Dr. Dave has some slo-mos of those.

The effect is not as great as applying side english.

~Doc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
To answer your own question PJ,..rack all 15 balls on the spot, then shooting from behind the kitchen string, (anywhere you want to place the cue ball) try and shoot the cue ball, 3 rails around the rack, without disturbing it...You will find it impossible to do, using high, or even center cue ball !

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your instructions, Dick, but I can miss the rack with a range of shots using a "naturally rolling" CB (the red line on the rail shows the range of "rail targets" that work from the CB starting point on the other side rail at the head string).

pj
chgo

View attachment 34816

Attachments

• 1p shot.jpg
    1p shot.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
...using low (draw) english, you can place the cue ball anywhere from 0" to 20" from the side rail. and you can do it with ease, every time..That is of course, an extreme demonstration, as you can't transfer that much english to an object ball..But the principles are the same, with regards to the first rail effect. :rolleyes:

Well,it sure won't help to shorten it up like the way I would shoot it. Draw for sure makes most banks go long.Also draw will make the pocket play small on most banks. JB

PS: question away:)

Yeah, high english on the CB will shorten a bank, whereas low english will lengthen them. I don't know at what angle the effect is diminished, or what the maximum transfer is at which angle. Perhaps Dr. Dave has some slo-mos of those.

The effect is not as great as applying side english.

~Doc
I appreciate the advice, guys, but I've always questioned this common wisdom. Seems to me that too little follow or draw can be transferred to the OB to last all the way to the rail for most shots, especially with table surface friction turning everything into "natural roll" so quickly. Even sidespin (which doesn't have to fight against table surface friction nearly as much) wears off pretty quickly.

Maybe I can think up a way to test this - or maybe Dr. Dave or Mike Page or Bob Jewett have already done it.

pj
chgo