Anybody have, or seen Kohlers Upscale 1pkt?

GoldCrown

Verified Member
I guess UNOPERRO will have to read/decide how much value Upscale has. I hate to be ignorant saying it was not really a good 1p book but did nothing for me to get started. I did like the line about Herding Balls but all in all I did not care for it. However everyone learns differently...maybe it's good for some. unoperro should read it and and I'd like to hear his comments....Upscale is not that expensive.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I guess UNOPERRO will have to read/decide how much value Upscale has. I hate to be ignorant saying it was not really a good 1p book but did nothing for me to get started. I did like the line about Herding Balls but all in all I did not care for it. However everyone learns differently...maybe it's good for some. unoperro should read it and and I'd like to hear his comments....Upscale is not that expensive.

i am curious goldcrown when in your journey with one pocket did you read it??
as mentioned it was the first book out there on onepocket
but i still would recommend it to a neophyte to onepocket
i have had a chance to skim thru it the past day or 2
it gives a beginner some basics in fundamentals
some systems to help in banking
talks about gaps in the rack affecting the break
how to break
banking lanes for multi rail banks
basic strategy like playing the score
some practice drills
these are just some examples
all in all
i still like it and would recommend it as part of a 1p library and as an introduction to one pocket
unoperro if you do buy it and read it your thoughts would be appreciated
p.s. from your posts i am not sure how much is in there to teach you

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I would agree with others who have pointed out that when taking the date of publishing into consideration and the amount of information out there on One Pocket at the time, the value of Upscale's content was pretty good.

The information world has changed dramatically since then and comparing Kohler's book by today's standards, it may not measure up in some reader's opinions but on the other hand is that all that fair to do?

Like the gas street lights of the 1800's which were a great addition to a city maybe Upscale One Pocket has outlived its usefulness.

Tom

unoperro

Verified Member
Thanks for all the replies. I never looked into cost. Price is low enough to buy and try and find 1 gem of info. If I get nothing from it maybe a friend will glean something.
Funny as I searched to buy the book, a thread from here, from 04 came up. Only recognized 3 posters.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
i am curious goldcrown when in your journey with one pocket did you read it??
Yes did read it.
I will try to be objective about Upscale. To begin with 1P is complicated game and having mediocre shooting skills really complicates it. I started playing with 2 guys in my community. None of us had any idea of where, what, why, how, to play. I bought 3 copies and gave them each a copy. Did not hear any comments..not sure if they read it. If I read Upscale today I might say it reinforces what I already know and picked something new up. But reading it in the beginning did nothing for me. Did it say somewhere to practice Taking Out the hangers. Taking out how? The book might be ok for a proficient A or B straight pool or 9ball player that already understands moves, traps, etc. As a beginner it gave me nothing substantially valuable.....which is what lead me to 1p.org...to you...to Tom.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Yes did read it.
I will try to be objective about Upscale. To begin with 1P is complicated game and having mediocre shooting skills really complicates it. I started playing with 2 guys in my community. None of us had any idea of where, what, why, how, to play. I bought 3 copies and gave them each a copy. Did not hear any comments..not sure if they read it. If I read Upscale today I might say it reinforces what I already know and picked something new up. But reading it in the beginning did nothing for me. Did it say somewhere to practice Taking Out the hangers. Taking out how? The book might be ok for a proficient A or B straight pool or 9ball player that already understands moves, traps, etc. As a beginner it gave me nothing substantially valuable.....which is what lead me to 1p.org...to you...to Tom.

Just curious, did you learn anything from W1P or SM&S?

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Just curious, did you learn anything from W1P or SM&S?

Hi. Have not read either. Did not know they existed when I developed an interest in playing/learning. And would not buy at those selling prices. Upscale 1P is not on the same page (no pun).
Kindly compare ... W1P, MS&S...Wirth's CA. I'd like to hear some thoughts.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hi. Have not read either. Did not know they existed when I developed and interest in playing/learning. And would not buy at those selling prices. Upscale 1P is not on the same page (no pun).
Kindly compare ... W1P, MS&S...Wirth's CA. I'd like to hear some thoughts.
Tom's book is about $400 cheaper...:D

~Doc

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Tom's book is about $400 cheaper...:D

~Doc
I'M SPEECHLESS..... Upscale1P is looking good. It's a good beginning lesson in 1P...don't be a sucker. Amazon is not a bargain house book store.

Winning One-Pocket...As Taught by the Game's Greatest Players 2nd Edition
by Eddie Robin (Author)
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 customer reviews

Hardcover
from $1,264.99
Other Sellers
from $1,264.99
More Buying Choices
2 New from $1,264.99 4 Used from $1,517.91
6 used & new from $1,264.99
See All Buying Options