artie at the eightball

jay helfert

Verified Member
Like Artie, I also think the current rules suck big time. When they changed the rule and said you don't win when you make the 8 on the break, they lost me. Everyone knows how hard it is to make the 8 on the break. It is a rare occurrence, and definitely should be a win. I mean c'mon, they are still counting the 9 on the break in 9-Ball which is a helluva lot easier to do than making the 8 on the break.

As for the other rules, I don't like most of them either. You are what you make! That's the way Eight Ball should be played. And if you scratch on the 8 you lose!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
John,

I sure understand where you're coming from. Texas Express 9 ball rules came into effect during my time out.
Talk about culture shock. All the young guns, were jumping balls, and turned the game (as I had known it) into something completely different.
I did not adjust well either, and soon gave up on 9 ball.

Dick <---is NOT aging like "fine wine".

I played pretty fair shoot out 9 ball for a working stiff from the 60's to the 80's. Around 1990 I was hanging around Hard Times in Bellflower and winning pretty good in the Golf/Liability snooker games on Big Bertha, so I was liable to tee it up with anyone. Cuban Joe came in with a guy who wanted to play a $500 set of 9 ball. I knew Joe wouldn't put him on me if they didn't have the best of it but I played anyway. We played Texas Express Rules and I beat him. He offered to play another set with the old shoot out rules and I agreed, figuring I had a free shot at $1,000. Turns out the guy was Toby Sweet, who was a master at two shot shoot out and he spanked me. Playing Texas Express for a few years didn't help my game playing the old rules, but I couldn't have beat him on my best day.

I would rather play shoot to hit than one foul ball in hand.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
8 Ball sucks! there are to many possible rules for the game, I cant think of a pool game that has more varaitions of rules than 8 ball. The new league rules are by far the worst rules possible.

I'm a flexable guy,I remember when TE ruels came to town for 9 ball, It was ok with me, now 10 ball is the game and I have seen different rules for it at different matches etc. Its all ok with me, I will never be to old to adapt to new rules, but I'm too old to adapt to stupid rules!

junior

Verified Member
could someone explain the old 8-ball rules?

could someone explain the old 8-ball rules?

Okay, I've gathered that an 8 on the break wins and you are what you make on the break. That is still the norm in bars, I think, unless they are playing some weird league rules. But could someone explain what happened on fouls? Or was a non-scratch foul even a concept in the old rules? I have seen last-pocket 8 ball played where you don't have to hit a rail and it is legal. Also, was it a loss when you scratched on any attempt at the 8, or only if you made the 8?

thanks

jay helfert

Verified Member
junior said:
Okay, I've gathered that an 8 on the break wins and you are what you make on the break. That is still the norm in bars, I think, unless they are playing some weird league rules. But could someone explain what happened on fouls? Or was a non-scratch foul even a concept in the old rules? I have seen last-pocket 8 ball played where you don't have to hit a rail and it is legal. Also, was it a loss when you scratched on any attempt at the 8, or only if you made the 8?

thanks

INCORRECT! The eight on the break is no longer a win. It re-spots. Nice rule huh.