Artie Bodendorfer story I was told

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
A couple of years ago I had the privilege to play Frank Tullos one pocket for about 4 or 5 hours in North Carolina soon before he passed away . After we played we spoke about how he learned the game from Marvin Henderson who he met when he was a kid and he told me many stories about some of the best players he played in his time . I asked if he ever got to play any of the Chicago players because I was always fascinated with that style of play and the characters like Bugs, Cannonball , Artie , etc. He told me he played Artie at Bensingers in the 70s I believe and I believe he also said it was a 5 by 10 . He told me he lost 10 or 11 straight games . In my curiosity I asked well how did he play Frank ? He just said perfect lol . He moved too good he told me . Frank and I had become friends before he passed away and I enjoyed all I learned by playing him . I wish there was video of Artie Bodendorfer playing I find his story fascinating. Beating players that banked and shot better and then beating Vegas . How does this man not have a book about him or a movie ?

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Hi Sam, I worked tirelessly with Artie for a couple of years trying to get his story/life told in book or film. We ran into some conflicts in that industry along with the parameters Artie demanded that he be portrayed.

The funny thing about Artie banking and running balls is, playing one pocket, he played the banks he shot as good as anyone except maybe for Bugs. For shooting straight, he ran the balls in one pocket as good, or if not better than 95% of the players back then.

Artie didn't let his opponents put him in traps where he would have to come with a, 'Magian' shot! He saw the moves 2-3 ahead.

I'm glad You met someone that played him, especially a player like Frank Tullos and that he used the word, 'Perfect' to describe his playing. That's almost become like a, 'Four letter word' around here about his play from people that Never saw him play in his prime!

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
Hi Sam, I worked tirelessly with Artie for a couple of years trying to get his story/life told in book or film. We ran into some conflicts in that industry along with the parameters Artie demanded that he be portrayed.

The funny thing about Artie banking and running balls is, playing one pocket, he played the banks he shot as good as anyone except maybe for Bugs. For shooting straight, he ran the balls in one pocket as good, or if not better than 95% of the players back then.

Artie didn't let his opponents put him in traps where he would have to come with a, 'Magian' shot! He saw the moves 2-3 ahead.

I'm glad You met someone that played him, especially a player like Frank Tullos and that he used the word, 'Perfect' to describe his playing. That's almost become like a, 'Four letter word' around here about his play from people that Never saw him play in his prime!
Thanks for the reply . I appreciate one pocket.org and I read all the player interviews they really put out great information. I met Freddy the Beard soon before he passed away while he was promoting his book he was really cool .

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I never had the pleasure of seeing Artie play in his prime. But having become friends with him later in life, and playing him during several lessons, I can tell you that Artie was/is occupying a higher level at one-pocket than just about everyone else, which is a tall statement. There are good strategists like JJ, and superb game managers like Chris Gentile, but Artie stands alone. His spatial awareness of all the balls on the table, and super human concentration abilities, along with an intense desire to win made up a formidable player that few could overcome-- none consistently.

Freddy told many stories about Artie's immovable stubbornness. Once he made up his mind you could not shake him off of it...... ever. One of my favorite Freddy revelations was that two guys actually dropped dead playing pool with Artie!! He literally played them into coronaries.

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
I never had the pleasure of seeing Artie play in his prime. But having become friends with him later in life, and playing him during several lessons, I can tell you that Artie was/is occupying a higher level at one-pocket than just about everyone else, which is a tall statement. There are good strategists like JJ, and superb game managers like Chris Gentile, but Artie stands alone. His spatial awareness of all the balls on the table, and super human concentration abilities, along with an intense desire to win made up a formidable player that few could overcome-- none consistently.

Freddy told many stories about Artie's immovable stubbornness. Once he made up his mind you could not shake him off of it...... ever. One of my favorite Freddy revelations was that two guys actually dropped dead playing pool with Artie!! He literally played them into coronaries.
The interview online for onepocket.org has many great stories . He gives away great information also . I actually practice short rack 8 ball a game him and Freddy talk about in their interviews . I try to pick my pattern before I shoot and stick to the plan if not I lose . There’s also a (US open match with Scott and Alex where he and Larry Schwartz do commentary and it’s excellent. I hope someone can do a full length interview with him one day and just listen to the stories .

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The interview online for onepocket.org has many great stories . He gives away great information also . I actually practice short rack 8 ball a game him and Freddy talk about in their interviews . I try to pick my pattern before I shoot and stick to the plan if not I lose . There’s also a (US open match with Scott and Alex where he and Larry Schwartz do commentary and it’s excellent. I hope someone can do a full length interview with him one day and just listen to the stories .
If you do a member search here for him — he posted a lot up to a few years ago. I think he is raising a granddaughter these days.

thanks for bit the interview compliments and your first posts!!

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
If you do a member search here for him — he posted a lot up to a few years ago. I think he is raising a granddaughter these days.

thanks for bit the interview compliments and your first posts!!
Thank you

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
If you ever want to get a good perspective of this man who's still alive he's got the back story, who?
George Michaels, originally from Chi Town.
He, I, Tommy Spencer, Joey Gold, Jarvis, were in the same mix, tho in our youth, George was a better player, and smarter.
In his prime, any top pro in match play had better manage his game he's beat most all of em in match play.
Me, I called em....Gorgeous George, because he was a very good looking young man.
G.M has this style/laugh/cackle that easily took the edge off when he made a game with you.
Saw em in Vegas, he told about the time Vivian Villareal when Liquored up at a tournament, Grabbed George and tried to flip em on too the ground. She didn't and George then, made a comment about her ''ridiculous move'' and told her....you don't wanna ever do that again.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here is an early example -- a tribute to the late great Bugs Rucker:

Leonard “Bugs” Rucker

Bugs was his name and pool was his game. He was a dream come true, Bugs wanted to be a great pool hustler and that is what he became. The older he got the better he played. His reputation grew bigger the better he got. He became more intimidating and he beat everyone. He played for the money not for the glory. Bugs was fearless and his aggressive style was awesome to watch. I remember the memories we lived and shared. I will remember Bugs. We played each other about 25 times. Every where we would meet we would play each other, it was our thing. We were both pool hustlers and we both loved action. Everyone was scared to play Bugs. Bugs and I loved the competition and that is why we loved playing each other. We have many stories and it was very exciting each time we played. We never talked while we played either. There were no cheap shots taken by either one of us, by checking each others rack, or by stealing balls or by forgetting to spot a scratch. Everything was above board. We never had a discrepancy and we had too much respect to cheat each other.
Bugs was a fierce competitor and when you played Bugs he would run out from anywhere on the table. He was a run out player and Bugs and Ronnie Allen were the best two run out players in life. Bugs and Taylor were the greatest two bankers in life. And Taylor might have been a little bit more consistent, but Bugs had more heart. Bugs would bet all the money on one game. If Taylor and Bugs would play in a tough neighborhood on bad equipment I would bet on Bugs because he had more heart and he was used to bad conditions. Taylor and Bugs were in a class by themselves. The two most intimidating one pocket players were Ronnie Allen and Bugs. And watching them play was very special. In their prime they would fill a stadium. I have had many great experiences with Bugs and they were all fun and exciting. Bugs was like a brother to me and at the end of his journey Bugs would tell me every time we talked for months he also loved me like a brother. Bugs always looked out for me and if someone would bother me he would step in and say he is with me and if you want a problem you and me can go outside and straighten it out. No one wanted a problem with bugs. He hung out with a tough crowd and everyone liked Bugs and Bugs was their hero. Bugs was to pool what Muhammad Ali was to boxing. I have known and been friends with Bugs for forty years. We never had an argument or disagreement. Bugs loved life and he never gave up. He once told me, Artie don’t ever give up and that is exactly what he did all the way to the end even though the odds were against him. I loved Bugs not for what he did but for who he was, a great man. There will only be one Bugs the unique kid with talent and an innocent smile that people loved and admired. His great attitude and love for people always showed his true colors.
Bugs was a cool character and people would point and say that’s Bugs the best bank pool player in the world. He had a very powerful nickname and a reputation to go with it. He was really in a class by himself. Bugs could have been anything he wanted to be, a pro baseball player, a pro basket ball player but he chose to become a champion pool player and hustler. Back in those days there were no tournaments so it was like this, hustle pool, get a job, or starve to death. He lived a good full exciting life. He was always his own boss and did it his way. I will miss Bugs and I’m sure the rest of the world will too.
Bugs never backed down from a challenge and loved competition. I remember a guy named Sunshine, he idolized Bugs in every way. He tried to bank like Bugs and even act like bugs. He would try to talk and walk and even dress like Bugs. He would say Bugs is the coolest guy on the planet. He was a younger version of Bugs and became a pretty good banker. Sunshine had a lot of talent but the rough pool environment got the best of him.
Bugs was ahead of his time in everything from talking, walking, dressing you name it. Bugs was the coolest man alive. And for all you rap stars and musicians I got news for you Bugs did it all fifty years ago. And he was a natural not a want to be cool guy. Bugs had an unbelievable following everywhere he went. Everyone wanted to see Bugs play. He was a great showman and when he got down to shoot you knew he was a great player. It was like watching Babe Ruth or Hank Aron at the plate. He had class and style like know one else. When he went to put powder on his hands he would get it all over the pool table. It looked like someone spilled a bag of cocaine on the table. I will always remember Bugs and I hope one day we will be together again. I know Bugs good friend Paul Jones will be waiting at the gate for him. They will be together in paradise. Bugs journey is just beginning and God wrapped his hands around him and said come with me Bugs to paradise you’ve suffered long enough.
My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and everyone that knew him. Good bye, my friend.

Arthur Bodendorfer

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
If you ever want to get a good perspective of this man who's still alive he's got the back story, who?
George Michaels, originally from Chi Town.
He, I, Tommy Spencer, Joey Gold, Jarvis, were in the same mix, tho in our youth, George was a better player, and smarter.
In his prime, any top pro in match play had better manage his game he's beat most all of em in match play.
Me, I called em....Gorgeous George, because he was a very good looking young man.
G.M has this style/laugh/cackle that easily took the edge off when he made a game with you.
Saw em in Vegas, he told about the time Vivian Villareal when Liquored up at a tournament, Grabbed George and tried to flip em on too the ground. She didn't and George then, made a comment about her ''ridiculous move'' and told her....you don't wanna ever do that again.
The Best player in this crew was, Tommy Spencer! He played All games Very well! Tommy's best game was, straight pool, then 9 ball, Banks and 1P. Joey Gold was the weakest, Had a lot of sucker in him. The one thing in common they all had is they loved Weed.

Since this thread pertains mostly to Artie, He could play this crew, 11/8 - 10/8, or 10/8 - 9/7.

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
I would watch Artie play at Howard Paulina pool hall in Chicago...The late 60`s...He was always on the same table and If not in a match...He was practicing...Sticking the rock in the rack or on the rail....When he was playing someone,I never saw him complain (had no,reason too lol) and he did have that " Southern carnie crackle/laugh" that made you comfortable,when he knew he had the best of you.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I would watch Artie play at Howard Paulina pool hall in Chicago...The late 60`s...He was always on the same table and If not in a match...He was practicing...Sticking the rock in the rack or on the rail....When he was playing someone,I never saw him complain (had no,reason too lol) and he did have that " Southern carnie crackle/laugh" that made you comfortable,when he knew he had the best of you.

good to see you steve.....hope you are well pal.

i'm down for some more AB stories....

go easy.

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
Thank you for replying , not many left who may have seen him play in person .

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The guy sitting at the counter in the red sweater was, Lee 'Reno" Poklacki, He was a painter by trade, always in his paint covered overalls. He was like the Pool room Father to, Freddy, Artie and myself at Bensingers when we were all coming up. In actuality, Reno was a better Hustler than Artie. He would keep customers not for days or weeks, but for years! Reno would be crying every game as he won each one. He taught Artie how to play one-handed, in fact, Reno played 3C one-handed pretty sporty, in one game I witnessed on table 7, He ran 5 & out and the last was a one-handed 3 cushion force-follow!

BTW, The black kid at the counter with Reno was, 'Sunshine,' Artie taught him how to play 1p and hustle pretty good. When Artie left for Vegas, not long after, Sunshine followed and became a runner for him.

Last edited: