Bank Pool Tournament @ Red Shoes Billiards November 12th, 2022

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Red Shoes Billiards will be hosting a "BANK POOL TOURNAMENT" on Saturday November 12th, 2022. This is a $50 Entry Fee (green fee included), ***$500 ADDED***{based on a full field), Double Elimination-FULL RACK (race to 23 balls...both sides), One Day ("IRON MAN") event played on 9 ft. tables. For additional information CONTACT: John Lavin @ Red Shoes Billiards 12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip, Illinois 60803 tel. (708) 388-3700 or website: redshoesbilliards.com or FACEBOOK. Players meeting 11:00 AM. Field closed to the first "30 PAID PLAYERS".

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Once again, John LAVIN, proprietor of Red Shoes Billiards, hosted an admirably run "bank pool tournament" which had 21 entries. There were only a few "dead money" participants yet the two top rated bank players in Saturday's "Iron Man" tournament, Neal JACOBS and Mark JARVIS, prevailed in this double elimination format. The payouts were $600 for 1st, $300 for 2nd, $200 for 3rd, and $115 for 4th. There is no "Calcutta" at Red Shoes Billiards because of the State of Illinois rules and regulations in reference to video poker gaming restrictions.

Neal "the Meek will Inherit the Earth" JACOBS, having defeated Mark "the Best 60 year old banker in the World but he's only 59" JARVIS in an earlier bracket round, went undefeated into the Finals. However, in the Finals, JARVIS prevailed in the one and only final race to 23.

Mike ALMODOVAR, who played Neal JACOBS for the "hot seat," came in 3rd place.

The "guy in the monkey suit" as pictured to the upper left captured 4th place.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Once again, John LAVIN, proprietor of Red Shoes Billiards, hosted an admirably run "bank pool tournament" which had 21 entries. There were only a few "dead money" participants yet the two top rated bank players in Saturday's "Iron Man" tournament, Neal JACOBS and Mark JARVIS, prevailed in this double elimination format. The payouts were $600 for 1st, $300 for 2nd, $200 for 3rd, and $115 for 4th. There is no "Calcutta" at Red Shoes Billiards because of the State of Illinois rules and regulations in reference to video poker gaming restrictions.

Neal "the Meek will Inherit the Earth" JACOBS, having defeated Mark "the Best 60 year old banker in the World but he's only 59" JARVIS in an earlier bracket round, went undefeated into the Finals. However, in the Finals, JARVIS prevailed in the one and only final race to 23.

Mike ALMODOVAR, who played Neal JACOBS for the "hot seat," came in 3rd place.

The "guy in the monkey suit" as pictured to the upper left captured 4th place.
Hey John, Did Jarvis forget about J. Brumback? I thinks He's 61 or 62. JARVIS quote: "the Best 60 year old banker in the World but he's only 59." Maybe 1P.org can Host/Sponsor/Promote this matchup between these 2 Bank players.

I know who I'd bet on.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Hey John, Did Jarvis forget about J. Brumback? I thinks He's 61 or 62. JARVIS quote: "the Best 60 year old banker in the World but he's only 59." Maybe 1P.org can Host/Sponsor/Promote this matchup between these 2 Bank players.

I know who I'd bet on.

I don't know if you remember Neal JACOBS from Chris's poolroom. His dad was a fairly good player and frequently brought his son, Neal, to the poolroom as a youngster. Neal is now in the neighborhood of 40 years old and is a very, very good bank pool player, but he does not play the Chicago grind style. Instead, he shoots at everything with speed. He'll try a crazy multi rail bank shot rather than play a safety. Nevertheless, he is the best bank player Chicago has to offer since Chris Gentile doesn't play anymore on a regular basis.

Mark JARVIS on the other hand was a fantastic banker. As good as any player I had ever seen. Today, he still is formidable but could never keep up with the top talent out there including John BRUMBACK. In my tournament match with JARVIS on Saturday we were tied at 15 going into the last rack. He ran a very good 4 in a row and prevailed 23 to 19. Afterwards he was bragging about how good at 60 years of age he was still shooting. JARVIS said it multiple times being 60 years of age. But earlier he spoke about how he and Bobby HUNTER shared the same birthday in May but were 10 years apart having HUNTER born in 1953 and himself in 1963. I was never good at Algebra or Geometry but I can still add and subtract with the best of them including Einstein. Mark you are 59 and not 60! So it was me being facetious and flippant when I wrote in my post "in the World" as part of his 13-worded-alias (the Best 60 year old banker in the World but he's only 59).
After Mark beat Neal in the Finals, he again ranted about how great he was playing at 60 years of age as if he had just beat the best players in the World.

Now the best part of this early November Saturday bank tournament story begins before anyone played a match. There was a group of us together near the Red Shoes Billiards counter talking about this and that. In the group was myself, Neal JACOBS, Mark JARVIS, John LAVIN, Bobby "Mad-Dog" MADISON, Tommy KARABOTSIS and several others. Tommy asked an innocent question that was directed at Neal and Mark about who was the better of the two at banks. Within seconds both Neal and Mark were idiotically badmouthing each other which quickly escalated to let's go outside and fight it out and the onlookers trying to quell the disorder. They never went outside. It was comical that their egotistical and narcissistic personalities were symbolically head-butting each other over who played the game of banks better.

Because JACOBS is a loose cannon who won't play a safety, I would bet on JARVIS.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: