'Boston Joey' passes

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Joe Kiley, AKA 'Boston Joey' died this morning.

I received this news from a friend of his from the town where Joey had been living for his later years:

Well, Boston Joey got his wish this morning. He passed peacefully this morning in the hospital.

Unfortunately, like I said, I met Joey after his "hey day" when he was settling down here in Waukegan. That was the mid to late 80's. I had heard of him but never really realized his "fame" until one time we went to Fond Du Lac, WI. for a tournament and a lady walked up to him and asked for his autograph.

From what he had told me, he left home when he was around 15/16. He had a job in a hospital for about 6 months back then and that was the last job he ever worked. He supported himself his whole life by playing pool. Late in his life, after he moved here (Waukegan,IL.) he moved in with his long time friend and stakehorse Bill Gaines. He and Bill did quite a bit of traveling/playing pool. Up until about the last year or so he still played pool in local tavern leagues and ALWAYS took first place in individual standings. He always liked telling the story about when he ran into Minn. Fats on the road and asked Fats if he wanted to play for $1000 a rack and all Fats said was "Joey, I can't beat you", but he would also tell me that he could never beat Fats on a big table playing straight pool. He was definitely an honest man, I never had to "watch the count" the few times I staked him. Of course when I
staked him it was never for any really big money.

quazycat

Boston Joey's memorial service

Boston Joey's memorial service

There will be a "memorial" for Boston Joey on
Friday July 24th at:
Salata Funeral Home
4190 Old Grand Ave
Gurnee, IL 60031
From 4 - 7
I thought maybe some of you might want to know.
Carl

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Boston Joey

Boston Joey

I had a half page tribute to Joey started but my computer crashed and I aint gonna do it again. Ill summarize, Joey was a top, top bar pool player. Only the very best could beat him. He was an alcoholic. He never came into any Chicago pool rooms. I never played him. I didnt even know what he looked like. He lived and played in the northern suburbs of Chicago, near the Wisconsin border. He was well liked.

the Beard

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I had a half page tribute to Joey started but my computer crashed and I aint gonna do it again. Ill summarize, Joey was a top, top bar pool player. Only the very best could beat him. He was an alcoholic. He never came into any Chicago pool rooms. I never played him. I didnt even know what he looked like. He lived and played in the northern suburbs of Chicago, near the Wisconsin border. He was well liked.

the Beard
If you wrote it once you should do it again. Out of respect and its the wright thing to do. And people will see you care and it does matter what happins. When we are gone. But it counts what you say when you say goodby. And it will be remembered. Let everyone know what you wrote and what you feel and think about. Joey. Its the least we can do when someones journey ends. And I know you care and have good warm feelings. It showes your human feelings. If it was worth doing once it is worth doing it twice.

quazycat

Joey lived here in Waukegan (7 miles from Wi.border). We ran around to many pool tournaments in his later years, all of them bar table tourneys. We did hit Des Moines, Ia. Fond Du Lac, Sheboygan, Marinette, Wi. First tourney I ever took him to was in Fond Du Lac I finally realized his "fame", when a lady walked up and asked for his autograph. Like I mentioned before, I NEVER had to watch the money, he was definitely a gentleman. As I recall, everyone that met him liked him. I know I will miss him.

Last edited:

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Hi

Hi

I met Joey years ago and he was one hell of a bar player that really made it look easy and he was as consistent as anybody just run out over and over . Louie Roberts came to town when the Nortshore was open and wanted me to stake him and I told Louie I'm not a horse I only bet on them . Louie wore me down begging so I told him we can go play Joey at this bar he was hanging out in and we went and they played for 500 five ahead and Louie won !! I hadn't seen Joey play in awile and had never seen Louie play on a bar table and after watching Joey had the nuts only got very unluicky to lose . The good thing was the bar was closing and they couldn't play another set . I gave Louie his end and told him he could go back and play with his own cash tomorrow , Louie naturally ironed himself out the next day and that was it !! I like Joey's style playing pool and he sure played like a gentlemen and it was unusual the more he drank the better he played . Another great player is gone and although it happens to us all it still is sad to hear of ones passing .

My condolences to his friends and family .

R.I.P. Joey Your were a champ .

Phil

SJDinPHX

Suspended
philip guagliardo said:
I met Joey years ago and he was one hell of a bar player that really made it look easy and he was as consistent as anybody just run out over and over . Louie Roberts came to town when the Nortshore was open and wanted me to stake him and I told Louie I'm not a horse I only bet on them . Louie wore me down begging so I told him we can go play Joey at this bar he was hanging out in and we went and they played for 500 five ahead and Louie won !! I hadn't seen Joey play in awile and had never seen Louie play on a bar table and after watching Joey had the nuts only got very unluicky to lose . The good thing was the bar was closing and they couldn't play another set . I gave Louie his end and told him he could go back and play with his own cash tomorrow , Louie naturally ironed himself out the next day and that was it !! I like Joey's style playing pool and he sure played like a gentlemen and it was unusual the more he drank the better he played . Another great player is gone and although it happens to us all it still is sad to hear of ones passing .

Phil

Never knew the man Phil, but he sure sounds like my kinda guy. We could have drank and played a while. RIP Joey.
(Kiley is definately an Irish name, so that woulda 'splained it)

quazycat

philip guagliardo said:
I like Joey's style playing pool and he sure played like a gentlemen and it was unusual the more he drank the better he played . Another great player is gone and although it happens to us all it still is sad to hear of ones passing .

Phil
Funny thing, Joey used to brag to me that he was "the best drunk player in the world" ! I guess he meant it!
God Bless You Joey.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
My friend

My friend

In the mid 70s in Mobile the only loser Joey booked was to Keith,,,,,, GETTING THE 8. But they all got the 8 from Keith on the bar box then.

Joey played as close to Keith as anyone when he was right. Joey was my friend. God rest his soul....