Break

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think I got it now.

So SVB didn't think twenty was a big enough spot, he wanted thirty.

Meaning SVB wouldn't bet on his making 80 before Russian Kenny got to 100.
The whole point of the story is that if you give someone enough time to practice, they can do amazing things, including manipulating the break in one pocket. If the current win rate is 60%, then doing anything to improve the breakers odds probably damages the game. Imagine allowing a guy to continue to run out after making a ball. Even if it improved your win rate to just 67%, it kind of ruins the game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The aim line from the corner pocket to the OB in order to pocket the ball is a perfect half ball hit. I shoot the spot shot the same way, on the same line, but from the head string, which is a lot easier. My best score? 11 in a row, and I think 18 out of 20. Whenever I get ball in hand from the Kitchen to shot a spot shot, I always use that method simply requiring a half ball hit. To me it's far more accurate than shooting the spot shot from the long rail.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
The aim line from the corner pocket to the OB in order to pocket the ball is a perfect half ball hit. I shoot the spot shot the same way, on the same line, but from the head string, which is a lot easier. My best score? 11 in a row, and I think 18 out of 20. Whenever I get ball in hand from the Kitchen to shot a spot shot, I always use that method simply requiring a half ball hit. To me it's far more accurate than shooting the spot shot from the long rail.
Good observation, @gulfportdoc. Putting the cue ball on the head string about a half diamond out gives you a half-ball hit and this is pretty much the same shot.

I'm a big advocate of warming-up with half ball hits, not so much for aiming but because focusing on the edge of the ball trains your "Quiet Eyes." Also because you're pretty much guaranteed to make the shot which frees you up to focus on other things like stroke and tempo.

Last edited:

beltsander bill

Verified Member
Agreed. I just linked to a sample of AtLarge's stats for convenience. Anybody who wants to see them all can search AZBilliards for more.

I did find one challenge match (not included with links) where Chohan made a ball on the break twice in a row, so there were actually TWO re-racks for the same game before he got a good break on the third attempt.

Here's the stat from DCC 2023 that's I find most interesting ...

Matches won by winner of lag -- 12 of 18 (67%)
If 67% of matches were won by the winner of the break, why would an skilled player not practice the lag shot. Are we just lazy and will take 50/50 on a coin flip? The Europeans have destroyed us in the Mosconi Cup for years by winning the lag in races to five. :) all one pocket should start with a lag....

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If 67% of matches were won by the winner of the break, why would an skilled player not practice the lag shot. Are we just lazy and will take 50/50 on a coin flip? The Europeans have destroyed us in the Mosconi Cup for years by winning the lag in races to five. :) all one pocket should start with a lag....
You are correct, it's not an all new phenomenon either. Efren was usually about 1/2 ball from the rail, some of the pros were 2 diamonds short, that's just silly.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Exactly! Winning the lag is a bigger advantage than the break, yet nobody pays any attention to it. And it's definitely possible to perfect the lag, most people just find it too boring.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think we have hit on the one thing a player can do to improve his chances in one pocket tournaments. Find the table you are going to play on and do nothing but practice the lag and the break.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think we have hit on the one thing a player can do to improve his chances in one pocket tournaments. Find the table you are going to play on and do nothing but practice the lag and the break.
In Houston about 1980 or so they had a all round tourney Lassiter(Wimpy) drew Craig Stevens (Big Train )in the 9ball. Race to 11 Stevens won the lag, broke and ran 5 racks, 6th game broke dry, rolled out tough cut !
Lassiter said go ahead. Stevens sawed it in ,ran out, broke and ran 5 more racks.
Lassiter is walking toward the front, some little jagoff says to him "Tough what could you do ?
Lassiter said " well I've gotta work on my lag."