Breaking

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
From what I remember, Mr. B. said that full-rack was more like a strategy game of picking balls off the stack here and there as opposed to breaking it open..

For short rack, I was trying something the other day that usually works well for me in 9b.. using a rail break with draw to pull the CB back up table for what is more often an easy shot on the 1. I noticed it gave me easier options than when it is left towards the middle, since many times the rack end is a bit of a mess to bank from. I then tried a bit with hitting the break softer and trying to drive more balls closer to the rails to open up the middle.

That being said.. I was just thinking about seeing some of the breaks on youtube being hit hard. Since, in theory, more balls are likely to fall, does that clear up more room for banking?

Thanks!

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Breaking

I think the main thing is to kill the cue ball near the side pocket if possible, and above all avoid scratching on the break. i think the odds of having a makable shot are on your side if you leave the cue ball in the middle of the table.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Does anybody safety break a 9-ball rack when banking? It seems to me that if you're betting high enough you should. Of course, if you're betting high enough you should be playing full-rack anyway. I suppose at the top echelon of guys who can break and run 5 & out maybe the open break is a good idea?

Dennis

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Jim, I haven't played that much, but I felt I got more long-table banks blocked after the break.. that's when I started using my 9b break more and pulling the CB back up table and getting more short banks and even cut side banks. I'll spend a bit more time on it this weekend (as I just got paid and the g/f works tomorrow) and see how the center leave treats me.
*note: I play primarily on a barbox, so table mess can be more of a problem than on the open range of a big table.

Dennis, from the B&R question, it sounds like short rack is much more offense oriented than full rack.

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cowboy Dennis said:
Does anybody safety break a 9-ball rack when banking? It seems to me that if you're betting high enough you should. Of course, if you're betting high enough you should be playing full-rack anyway. I suppose at the top echelon of guys who can break and run 5 & out maybe the open break is a good idea?

Dennis

All the 9 Ball Bank tournaments I have played in you must hit the head ball and drive at least one ball past the side pocket. I have seen this in most gambling matches as well. I also see a lot of full rack banks being played with wide open breaks.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
New 2 You Qs said:
I also see a lot of full rack banks being played with wide open breaks.

New 2 You,

What kind of bets (or players) are you talking about where guys would open break a 15 ball rack playing banks?

Dennis

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cowboy Dennis said:
New 2 You,

What kind of bets (or players) are you talking about where guys would open break a 15 ball rack playing banks?

Dennis

I saw guys playing $100/game full rack banks breaking them wide open. I know that isn't huge, huge $$$, but I was still surprised.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
wide open

wide open

Wide open on full rack is the way to go.You both have the same opportunities either way.Either way the best man wins.Plus you keep your stroke alive and not sleeping bunting.Its the American way.OTOH some will prefer the other no doubt.Many paths to salvation,cheers,James

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
New 2 You Qs said:
I saw guys playing $100/game full rack banks breaking them wide open. I know that isn't huge, huge $$$, but I was still surprised.
Yes, I'd be surprised too. Nobody that I knew, who works for that $100, would open-break a full rack.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Dennis,sometimes I break em wideopen playing fullrack, when gambling and giving up a spot.
It helps me outrun the nuts sometimes,so to speak. Why wouldn't you If you knew you could make at least one on the break? But some of the old school players won't let you break them open.They call It "have to bank a ball before you can shoot again"
I have never heard of being allowed to safe break In short rack. That would be kinda like defeating the purpose of the game,I think.There's an old break playing shortrack where,If they will let you, you can hit the second ball and make a ball straight in the corner. Most places I have been,It's not allowed.
hope that helps. JB

Viffer

Verified Member
thats how dippy breaks!!!!!!!!! still cant make a ball tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!