Burnout

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Who has had it? After how long and how long did it last? Did you come back stronger or were you just “Done”

As many here know, I have had the good fortune to have played consistently for the past 10 years. Usually gambling high multiple times a week. Never tiring of playing and working in my game. The last two years it’s paid off and my game has really jumped from where it was.

About a month before this virus stuff I just couldn’t settle down over a ball. I lost 4 matches out of 5 and was missing EASY balls worth 100-300 bucks. I’m not lying when I say I have never lost like that in a short time. Normally I would figure out what was wrong with my fundamentals, double down, and beat whoever I lost to. Easy peasy. But this time I didn’t even care to.

I tried a few times to “work it out” but the motivation just wasn’t there. The last 3 times I played before the hiatus twice I quit after 20 minutes and once I quit a guy even after 2 games. I just felt burned out! Now I do have a huge about of non pool issues I’m in the middle of so maybe that is a contributing factor, though it has never been before. Doesn’t matter why though. Frankly I am not missing playing at all during this quarantine.

I’m sure it has happened to many at some point but has never happened to me, so I am curious if other people’s experiences. Because right now I just have no interest in playing. Even if I was able to lol. Meh.

Your experience?

unoperro

Verified Member
I only have it after a long trnmnt weekend. Takes about 3 days to get over.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Who has had it? After how long and how long did it last? Did you come back stronger or were you just “Done”

As many here know, I have had the good fortune to have played consistently for the past 10 years. Usually gambling high multiple times a week. Never tiring of playing and working in my game. The last two years it’s paid off and my game has really jumped from where it was.

About a month before this virus stuff I just couldn’t settle down over a ball. I lost 4 matches out of 5 and was missing EASY balls worth 100-300 bucks. I’m not lying when I say I have never lost like that in a short time. Normally I would figure out what was wrong with my fundamentals, double down, and beat whoever I lost to. Easy peasy. But this time I didn’t even care to.

I tried a few times to “work it out” but the motivation just wasn’t there. The last 3 times I played before the hiatus twice I quit after 20 minutes and once I quit a guy even after 2 games. I just felt burned out! Now I do have a huge about of non pool issues I’m in the middle of so maybe that is a contributing factor, though it has never been before. Doesn’t matter why though. Frankly I am not missing playing at all during this quarantine.

I’m sure it has happened to many at some point but has never happened to me, so I am curious if other people’s experiences. Because right now I just have no interest in playing. Even if I was able to lol. Meh.

Your experience?
I think you make too much money... has nothing to do with the game or pool. Maybe start betting 1k-3k a game.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

Your experience?
The older i have gotten the more i seem to loose interest and therefore concentration. I take long breaks like a month at a time and come back refreshed. Before the mess, i was mainly playing just once a week bar box tournaments and that along with a maybe twice a month one pocket matchup was working out well.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Maybe turn inward for awhile. Stop matching up and spend your pool time working solo on the facets of your technical game that need improvement. Practice drills, if you can stand it. Set goals, challenge yourself and try to reach them.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Your experience?

Been there, too. That's why I took up squash, which is much healthier anyway.

As a result, I'm playing much less pool. That has two effects: (1) I don't play as well as I'm capable of playing, but (2) I still appreciate and enjoy it more when I do get to play.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Every time I took a short while off , month or 2 I came back and played better a year or more and you will need to do a lot of practice to get your A game back
because it's all about speed

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Mitch this Corn situation, brings us out into life in a different manner/mindset, especially when all the pool rooms/bars and restaurants and coffee shops are non interactive. If I was you, I'd take the summer off, enjoy/focus on home more and it will percolate out in due time, or NOT???? Only mother time will tell. My divorce years did a similar mindset change to me, I found that out after 13 yr marriage went south pool was on the shelf, life, daughters and income were most important. Now wanting to bring the possibility of bringing anything home/unexpected may be in play. Time off is good.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Funny Mitch before I saw this post I texted you this morning asking how you and the family were. Its not like you not to chime in every now and then. I was worried.
You know ever since my boy reached 10 years I been more concerned about his future and upbringing. He has been a joy yet at the same time so much has been on my mind since he is coming into his own. I remember you and your beautiful wife and I had a conversation about this over dinner.
My game had been going to slop. And I wasnt interested in playing with anybody. Particularly people who I didnt like or have anything in common with. I found that I just couldnt play my game and I just was indifferent to anything. This was about 2 months before the virus.
Then I started playing 9 ball and would just let my stroke out and was finally getting back. Just enjoying stroking the ball and making long hard shot.
.I was playing all the young 9 ballers, losing but having fun. And would surprise them when this old man could put together an out.
But then this virus thing happened and poof. But we shall see what tomorrow brings.
Im looking forward to that day and seeing my old pool friends again.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Thank you fellas for sharing your experience. I will enjoy the time away as suggested. I have always said that life is cyclical. When it’s time my game or interest will come back. Hopefully they come at the same time lol. Fats when I’m back I will take you up on your offer to be my backer. 👍. I will reread this thread over the next few days and again when this is over so really do appreciate the replies.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
as you know, I was playing about once every 2-3 months before the craziness, so every time I got to play a match, I was drooling, couldn't sleep due to anticipation, etc...

Now, I an dying to get my own table set up here in the garage so I can start hitting some balls so that the next time I get to match up, I will stand a better chance!

Mitch, I envy your play time, or did...seemed like you were literally matching up almost every damn day, haha!

I am not surprised of the burnout with as much as you were playing (and it showed at the derby when you cleaned all our clocks) ;)

When this is all over and rooms open up again, you will no doubt get the itch again and have the pool bug back in full force.

Enjoy the break and stay safe man!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I am not missing it as much as I thought I would. I was playing some of the best one pocket I had played in years. I played around three days a week, cheap $30/50 action and sometimes more. Perhaps I realize I can’t do anything about it and I am not the kind to stew about things.

Pool is embedded in your nature now, and after achieving so much, there had to be a letdown. When it is time, you will be back better than ever.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
What I miss is the daily routine, prior to the virus I was playing about 3 hours per day every day. Wasn't really playing a lot of different people just some of the guys at the rec center. My game was I believe, getting better. It was an important part of my life. Now to be honest even if they reopen our room I am not sure how quick I would be to start playing again, not because I don't won't to but because of the uncertainty of the situation. The virus will still be around and all it takes is one exposure and the results could be dramatic. Just hoping for the best as I'm sure is everyone else.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
uncertainty of the situation. The virus will still be around
I know that when I do find myself back out in the world, I'm going to be hyper-aware of anyone around me. Are they coughing, sniffling, etc.
However careful you might be, there are plenty of people that will not be so.
A few days before the doors at my haunt were closed, I saw a fellow I'd talked to a few times. We greeted each other and I said 'haven't seen you in a while'. He said something like "yeah I've been sick for a few days *cough - cough*, still don't know if I'm over it but couldn't stand being home anymore". - 'yeah - well take care' - (exit stage left).

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Mitch your game has really improved. the tough part is going to the next level. take a break and work on your mind set when you feel you're ready .TakeCare remember it's only a game. FastEddieF.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I tried a few times to “work it out” but the motivation just wasn’t there. The last 3 times I played before the hiatus twice I quit after 20 minutes and once I quit a guy even after 2 games. I just felt burned out! Now I do have a huge about of non pool issues I’m in the middle of so maybe that is a contributing factor, though it has never been before.
It sounds like you are giving yourself a pretty strong message to focus on other things this moment. Take a break and see how it goes, pool will always be here when you come back.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
some one when ,I was 21 said to me it is stupid to quit pool as it will be with you for the rest of your life. That said breaks can be very good for you and your game

beatle

Verified Member
mitch it has nothing to do with all of that. i gamble very high stakes during every week. and have done it for decades. after you win for awhile you get de-sensitized to the winning . meaning the high from winning is less than the low from losing. so unconsciously you have less and less drive to win. and playing becomes more routine. not enough that you notice it, but you blame it on luck or performance. its really mental.
so yes a layoff may work for many or most. or if you are able to know what it is and bear down and have a more short term goals during the session rather than just winning for the day or the game it may help.