Bustamante vs Pagulayan-Master of The Table Challenge May 1-5 2020

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
An edit to one of the above rules:
  • If a player A fails to contact the lowest numbered ball (table scratch) the incoming player B can:
    • play from where it lays
    • have the lowest ball spotted and have ball in hand behind the head string
    • put Player A back at the able to play from where it lays

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Frost vs Pagulayan now playing on the PoolActionTV 24 hour replay loop channel

Anybody that bought Alex vs Busty all around has access to this match

One of the best One Pocket Action Matches EVER recorded on video.
Scott Frost vs Alex Pagulayan-8 Ahead with 50K in the middle
Five Epic Days of World Class Play-Over 100 Games Played
Recorded 2015 in Las Vegas at Good Timez Billiards

1588380761287.png

1588380775331.png

keoneyo

Verified Member
Beautiful break and run out by Busty to take the hill game. 15 to 12.
Tomorrow 9 ball banks
Tough competition here.
Thank you Ray and Terry.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Will there be a replay for tonight's set?

The replay of Friday's session (15 Ball Filipino Rotation-Race to 15) is playing on a loop.
That will play all night and tomorrow up until few minutes before Saturday's live play (9 Ball Banks-Race to 16) starts at 5pm central.
Some great commentary from Larry Schwatz & Ray Hansen
To Purchase a Pass Go To www.PoolActionTV.com

1588386526302.png

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
watched a bunch last night
who won the lag?
from there did they decide the order of disciplines with the winner of the lag choosing first?
it seem the commentators knew it would be 9 ball banks next

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
AtLarge posted this on AZB
i bolded some of the rules
Here are a few stats from the Alex Pagulayan vs. Francisco Bustamante 15-Ball Filipino Rotation race to 15 played May 1, 2020 at Ray Hansen's home in Texas. Pay-per-view live streaming was provided by PoolActionTV.

This was Day 1 of a best-3-out-of-5 Champions Challenge All-Around match, with a different discipline played each day for up to 5 days. Bustamante won the right to choose the discipline and the opening break for Day 1 and chose Rotation. Remote commentary (by phone) was provided by Larry Schwartz. Ray Hansen also commentated, from a room in his home separate from the pool room.

Bustamante jumped out to a 6-1 lead. Pagulayan brought it back to a tie at 12-12, but Bustamante then won the last 3 games, including breaking and running the final 2, for a 15-12 win.

Conditions-- The conditions for this set included:
  • - Diamond 9-foot table with standard pro-cut pockets and blue Simonis cloth;
    - Aramith Tournament balls (I think) with a measles cue ball;
    - triangle rack;
    - winner breaks;
    - rack your own with the 1-, 2- and 3-balls on the corners;
    - first player to reach 60 points (not 61, to avoid the possibility of tied games) wins the game;
    - on a foul, the opponent can play the balls as they lie, spot the lowest-numbered ball and take ball in hand behind the head string, or pass the shot back;
    - a shot is legal as long as the lowest-numbered ball is the first one hit by the cue ball and a rail is hit either by the cue ball before the object ball is hit or by any ball after the object ball is hit;

- jump cues not allowed; and
    - no shot clock.
■ Bustamante broke 15 times -- successful 10 times (resulting in 4 game wins and 6 losses), no fouls, and 5 dry (4 wins, 1 loss).

■ Pagulayan broke 12 times -- successful 7 times (resulting in 5 game wins and 2 losses), 2 fouls (both losses), and 3 dry (all losses).

Successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
  • Bustamante -- 10 of 15 (67%)
  • Pagulayan -- 7 of 12 (58%)
  • Total -- 17 of 27 (63%)
Breaker won game:
  • Bustamante -- 8 of 15 (53%)
  • Pagulayan -- 5 of 12 (42%)
  • Total -- 13 of 27 (48%)
Break-and-run games -- on all breaks:
  • Bustamante -- 2 of 15 (13%)
  • Pagulayan -- 2 of 12 (17%)
  • Total -- 4 of 27 (15%)
Break-and-run games -- on successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
  • Bustamante -- 2 of 10 (20%)
  • Pagulayan -- 2 of 7 (29%)
  • Total -- 4 of 17 (24%)
Break-and-run packages:
  • Bustamante's 2 B&R games were a 2-pack to end the set.
    Pagulayan's 2 B&R games were singles.
Games with 1 or more safeties -- 59% (16 of 27)

Average number of balls made on the break
:
  • Bustamante -- 0.8 on all breaks, 1.2 on successful breaks
  • Pagulayan -- 1.0 on all breaks, 1.6 on successful breaks
  • Total -- 0.9 on all breaks, 1.4 on successful breaks
Number of innings -- 26% (7 of 27) of the games ended in one inning. 4 games ended on the breaker's first inning (B&R games), 3 games ended on the non-breaker's first inning, 5 games ended on the breaker's second inning, and 1 game ended on the non-breaker's second inning. 52% (14 of 27) of the games went beyond the non-breaker's second visit to the table, with the longest game ending on the non-breaker's 12th visit.

Match length -- Just over 4 hours, for an average of 8.9 minutes per game. This includes racking and timeouts.
Add to AtLarge's Reputation Report Post

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There was one odd situation when Busti was at the table, and shooting at the 2-ball, which was very near the side pocket but at a bit of an angle. The cue ball was nearby, and Busti's desired position for the 3 ball was nearby but there was a stripe in between, so Busti played the 2 very lightly, and it did not reach the pocket or a rail, but the cue ball did come off the side rail to go around that interfering stripe for position on the 3. Whereupon Alex scooped up the 2 and spotted it and took BIH. Ray and Larry Schwartz were both mystified as to why Alex took ball in hand there, since that would have been a completely legal shot in any other pool game (cue ball hits lowest ball, then cue ball clearly hits rail, but indeed the 2 did not hit a rail).

So my question is, was that actually considered a foul or did Alex just not notice that the cue ball came off the rail after it nudged the 2 ball???

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
I was surprised that Alex picked Banks for day two. I know Alex is a great bank player,but i was thinking that might be Busty's best game lol

What about you guys what discipline do you think he should of picked ?

Both these guys are such great all around players, all games are almost a toss up :)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The only thing I might add to the rules is you have to contact a rail before or after contact with the object ball

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I was surprised that Alex picked Banks for day two. I know Alex is a great bank player,but i was thinking that might be Busty's best game lol

What about you guys what discipline do you think he should of picked ?

Both these guys are such great all around players, all games are almost a toss up :)
I thought after the first round was chosen then the other rounds went in order. Your friend Larry is a little droll for me. It would have been nice for someone who understood the rules to do the broadcast.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
I thought after the first round was chosen then the other rounds went in order. Your friend Larry is a little droll for me. It would have been nice for someone who understood the rules to do the broadcast.

The agreement was players got to choose each day and they lagged for 1st pick

2nd pick day two Alex chose banks

3rd pick day three Busty chose 8 Ball

4th pick for day four if needed Alex chose One Pocket

Day five will be 10 Ball if needed

I am not really sure who we could of got to do commentary that is familiar with the rules to Filipino style rotation.

Today's set is Banks with Double J doing commentary & and he knows the rules well :)

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
who we could of got to do commentary that is familiar with the rules to Filipino style rotation.
Can no one find a set of rules for Filipino rotation? Or is is just that you can't find anyone to read Tagalog? 🧐

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It's interesting -- I know Ray and Larry are keeping the digital score, but Alex and Busti just seem to "know" what the score is as the game progresses. I see them moving balls to their side in the tray, but they never seem to have to go back and count lol. It seems like they both have played so much they just know what the score is and what they need to get out??

keoneyo

Verified Member
It's interesting -- I know Ray and Larry are keeping the digital score, but Alex and Busti just seem to "know" what the score is as the game progresses. I see them moving balls to their side in the tray, but they never seem to have to go back and count lol. It seems like they both have played so much they just know what the score is and what they need to get out??
Well in some cases its automatic. If your opponent has no balls, you know that if there is 5 balls left ( 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) you need one more. Since the total is 65. Once you get that 11 ball your opponent cant win. If youre down to the last 4 balls your opponent needs a total of at least 7 points to win. If he has more than that you need to clear the rest of the balls incrementally. You kind of know by whats left on the table as opposed to whats in your or opponents rack.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well in some cases its automatic. If your opponent has no balls, you know that if there is 5 balls left ( 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) you need one more. Since the total is 65. Once you get that 11 ball your opponent cant win. If youre down to the last 4 balls your opponent needs a total of at least 7 points to win. If he has more than that you need to clear the rest of the balls incrementally. You kind of know by whats left on the table as opposed to whats in your or opponents rack.
Suddenly I am reminded that in one of my interviews I spoke with a player from the midwest -- I am not sure who -- and he told a story about when Efren Reyes first came around there, which would have been maybe mid 80's. There was a local player that was a pretty good player and Efren offered him what seemed like a huge spot in points, PLUS anytime the guy asked what the score was, Efren had to know or he lost, and any time the guy wanted to he could ask Efren to name what ball went into what pocket (they must have been playing on a drop pocket table), and if Efren couldn't name the pocket, he lost. It turned out the local player did not stand a chance lol.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Can no one find a set of rules for Filipino rotation? Or is is just that you can't find anyone to read Tagalog? 🧐
Neither one. I asked over at Zany if there were any Filipino players who had a connection, or could find one, to a Filipino site that formally listed the rotation rules. No one has stepped up so far, but some offered some opinons..;) My guess is that someone on that site is Filipino, and might help us out.