California Billiards

cabilliardclub

Verified Member
Sorry for the delay!, Wanted to say that I am blessed to have hosted the MOT 2 times now. This year was awesome. It is always a pleasure having members come from all around the country to just have fun and gamble all night long. Wanted to thank John Henderson for being the go between with Steve!! Have to give it up to POSTUP for an amazing stream and Daniel Busch (POV) for helping. Ernesto Dominguez for doing a rush job on tables for me, even though Simonis failed to get me cloth in time for event (showed up on Tuesday after event). Brunswick for sending me cloth for event as well as new centennials. But most of all I have to thank all members of Onepocket.org for trusting California Billiards and my awesome staff for this Great yearly event!!!!!! It is always a pleasure meeting you all and look forward to hosting all of you again in the future if you will have me!!!!!

Shit, Forgot all about Bee Davison. Special thanks to bee for stepping up last minute and running another fine tournament while also playing in it!!! Bee Money!!!!!

Thanks,

Chris Swart
California Billiards

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Sorry for the delay!, Wanted to say that I am blessed to have hosted the MOT 2 times now. This year was awesome. It is always a pleasure having members come from all around the country to just have fun and gamble all night long. Wanted to thank John Henderson for being the go between with Steve!! Have to give it up to POSTUP for an amazing stream and Daniel Busch (POV) for helping. Ernesto Dominguez for doing a rush job on tables for me, even though Simonis failed to get me cloth in time for event (showed up on Tuesday after event). Brunswick for sending me cloth for event as well as new centennials. But most of all I have to thank all members of Onepocket.org for trusting California Billiards and my awesome staff for this Great yearly event!!!!!! It is always a pleasure meeting you all and look forward to hosting all of you again in the future if you will have me!!!!!

Shit, Forgot all about Bee Davison. Special thanks to bee for stepping up last minute and running another fine tournament while also playing in it!!! Bee Money!!!!!

Thanks,

Chris Swart
California Billiards
Thank you, Chris!!!

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Amazing place for our MOT Chris!! You and your entire staff took such good care of us, we HAVE TO come back soon. Impeccably maintained equipment, THANK YOU!! Full field too 👍👍 Thank you VERY MUCH for your above and beyond support Chris!!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
sounds like all had a grand time. and a good and humble, gregarious host......chris seems to "get it." thank you for that mr. swart.

steve has decided that every second year that the MOT will be held there. hard to argue with that (helps with the internal debate none of you have never been part of). it tracks.

but i'm gonna buzzkill a little bit.....where where chris cruz and wayne pullen? wtf?

(and although you all gave him some fins, what has bee davison ever done for 1p.org?)

anyway. whatever.

the guy that did the stream did overall good (it's an aquired taste) - did't know who anyone was.....but daniel dialed it in for him on last day......

guess we'll see these guys (like jay helfert, simon, etc.) contributing to the site again in a couple of years for a couple days....

carry on. (or prove me wrong and i'll wear it)

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
steve has decided that every second year that the MOT will be held there
Miller I’m curious where you got this. I don’t think I ever said every that. Prove me wrong and of course I apologize. I know I have definitely spoken for making CA Billiards part of a “short rotation”. But I do not believe I ever came down as to a decision for how short. It’s all speculation and conversation still at this point. The one given thing that is proven, is that CA Billiards belongs in any short rotation.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
sounds like all had a grand time. and a good and humble, gregarious host......chris seems to "get it." thank you for that mr. swart.

steve has decided that every second year that the MOT will be held there. hard to argue with that (helps with the internal debate none of you have never been part of). it tracks.

but i'm gonna buzzkill a little bit.....where where chris cruz and wayne pullen? wtf?

(and although you all gave him some fins, what has bee davison ever done for 1p.org?)

anyway. whatever.

the guy that did the stream did overall good (it's an aquired taste) - did't know who anyone was.....but daniel dialed it in for him on last day......

guess we'll see these guys (like jay helfert, simon, etc.) contributing to the site again in a couple of years for a couple days....

When it appeared we were going to be short of a full field after we were into it a month or so, because some of the regulars declared they could not make two tournaments so close together, or out to CA., I understood that, so I started recruiting locals to join onepocket.org so they could play in the tournament. As the closest member and coordinator, I felt it was my job to fill it up, always checking with Steve, and I did the best I could. The people I recruited were either long time members who do not post much, or new ones. Some of the guys you mentioned played in the last one we had here. Bee Davisson was a godsend for me. He also played in the last tournament. Bee is CA Billiards regular tournament director. I asked for a little help from him and he took it over and did a much better job that I could have done. This allowed me to concentrate on playing, and I had a great tournament. If some of our key members (you included) can't make it, I think we did the right thing and had a great onepocket.org tournament. Chris went to Great lengths to make sure we had a stream at all. Collins is Hard Times streamer in a permanent booth he built. He also has a portable booth he put in his truck and brought down and put together with his equipment. Post-Up is an interactive stream with Collins responding to all comments and a guest commentator talking about the match taking place. We probably had three times the viewers we would have had with our own stream (If we had one at all).

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well said John and thank you for everything!

Anyone who wishes to back check, I believe Bee (long time member but not very active poster) was the only forum member who did not technically qualify. Since he had played last time I approved him again. We only had about 5 Facebook only qualifiers in the field. Mostly the “unfamiliar” players in the field were simply CA and western players who don’t get out east that often, but who definitely support CA Billiards apparently every time we go there. So those players are only unfamiliar to our east/central/southern members who have yet to make the trek to CA.

It’s worth mentioning that it was obvious the small contingent of east/central/southern members that made the trip all had a GREAT TIME — the rest of you — we sincerely missed you!!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

anyway. whatever.

Steve never said that, I did. I said it in the context that we were spitballing about future MOTs. If I said to have Chicago as a host every other year, half the posters would immediately vote to do it. Let me tell you why it was so good without Wayne and Chris.
The Holiday Inn. Lovely rooms with king size beds and dark window coverings if you like sleeping in. ( I do). Free hot breakfast, not just cold cereal and packaged rolls. Close to the pool room. Less than two miles on the same street as the pool room. Ice cream shop right next door. The banana was excellent.
And then there is the pool room itself. Lots of tables. Good playing spaces between tables. Good new cloth. Good food at the pool room, not brought in food because the room didn’t have food. Permanent tournament director who also provided hid services free to OP.Org. And a streamer, although not my preference, who will be there the next time we have a tournament. A welcoming host. If you ever met Bee, he is a member if he never host a thread. He is just the kind of one pocket player everyone should be.
I’m prejudice about CB’s but find fault with a room that meets or exceeds all the qualifications we want in a room for our MOT. Airport close? Yes, two. Restaurant in the house? Yes. Hotels close? Yes two again. One that gives a discount. Enough tables? Yes eight diamonds dedicated to the tournament. parking? Yes. Streaming? Yes. Simon, since you picked him out, he does occasionally post on subjects he prefers, not to gossip. So not so much as gossiper's. You would not recognize him when he does post and Jay post also. They both are long time members as Al, Ed, Lee, and Bob. All long time members who post occasionally.
And then there is Chris Swart the owner who would have our MOT‘s for us and add money. We should be looking for other owners like him. Myself I think having permanent rotation of rooms would let us plan on travel and the ability to purchase tickets months in advance. We had thirty two players and a waiting list. We could have 48 one day soon.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Can't say enough about California Billiards and owner Chris Swart. Even better than 1st MOT there. To you who did not or could not make it,
all I can say is, too bad. Friendly people, great action, well maintained tables and a pretty good kitchen. Bee ran the tournament like a pro.

Collins (PostUp streamer) did an excellent job. Watched Collins take down his streaming booth, piece by piece.
Know that it took twice as much energy to put it together. I don't know if you that watched the stream noticed, but Collins has some of the most
sophisticated and best cameras that I have seen. Kudos, Collins.

I had all the action that I wanted. I had all I could handle playing with Tobermory(Michael Singsen). Think he has spent a lot more time on
the pool table than in the law books. Very nice guy, for a lawyer:). Warmed Mike Eck up for his tourney win. Talk about improved players,
Johnny Daminato(johnytronic) was a force to be reckoned with.

Give a big shoutout to John Henderson for his high level of play and endurance after all he has been through the last 2 - 3 years.

Of course, you have to applaud Kentucky(as he is known in California), scrzbill, for his continuous playing and keeping the action going. Bill and Steve were battling it out for a while.

Paula had a great time. She really enjoyed seeing Kathy Tomassoni again and meeting Di Gross. Great wives, all three. I don't know how
my wife puts up with me.

Again, if there is a next time to California Billiards, you have to try to make the trip. Plenty of friendly people and great action.

Cannot forget the 4 players that make the trip to Bogies nearly every year - ATM Eddie Neves, Bob Bealieu, Al Makarski and Lee Wallick.

Also, my favorite nephew, Nick Beretanos.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Well said Robert…Everything ran well, the establishment was everything a pool player could ask for, and Chris was a wonderful host and runs a great room. Collins was a lot of fun and his pop up booth was pretty incredible!!! I had a wonderful time as I summarized in my previous post and it was fantastic to see the guys and butt heads in some good play. Looking forward to our next event!

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Great tournament, great action, great pool ,great time ,kinda all I think needs to be said. I wil ltry to go to any of the members tournies I can but definatly appreciate it being at ca billiards not just cause I can sleep in my own bed but also it is with out doubt one of the premire rooms in the country

jay helfert

Verified Member

anyway. whatever.

Haters gotta hate.

jay helfert

Verified Member

Thanks,

Chris Swart
California Billiards
Thank you Chris for being such a good host. You have a beautiful room! I'm always glad to see successful poolrooms. It proves it can still be done. I always say that people (all people) are looking for places to go to enjoy themselves. NO ONE wants to stay home all day, every day!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
an absolutely clueless assertion that only corroborates one of my points.

(i invite you to research who has done what in supporting MOTs over the years.)

(and i haven't even got into the timing of the event and how fundamentally fukd up how it was that came about....)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Regional may be the way to go. We have Derby City, Buffalos, the regional in Ms and our MOT, plus any local tournaments near wherever we live. Lots of events to choose from, but we can't make them all. I have been offered a free flight to come to Buffalos next year and hope I can make it.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
There is a new place in Louisville that may be a good solution to a plan to rotate from East to West. Trying to get members to agree on something new each year takes a lot out of everyone involved. I know Chris will have us as much as WE want. I think Buffalos might be another choice to rotate too. I liked being able to go to three tournaments in a row. We could have our MOT around the Buffalo event in case we wanted to stay on. Same with Louisville. We could have it near the Derby and what a blast that could be. I have had a grand time going to three tournaments but not everyone can be away for a month at a time. A lot of us can be gone for two weeks though. If there is enough action.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There is a new place in Louisville that may be a good solution to a plan to rotate from East to West. Trying to get members to agree on something new each year takes a lot out of everyone involved. I know Chris will have us as much as WE want. I think Buffalos might be another choice to rotate too. I liked being able to go to three tournaments in a row. We could have our MOT around the Buffalo event in case we wanted to stay on. Same with Louisville. We could have it near the Derby and what a blast that could be. I have had a grand time going to three tournaments but not everyone can be away for a month at a time. A lot of us can be gone for two weeks though. If there is enough action.
I seriously doubt Buffalo will want to host us