California Billiards

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
minimum would be 8. getting through 3rd round on loser side is your loggerhead - they you're simply at the mercy of the slowest player(s). i think southaven rec has 9 (icbw) which we have made work. me and steve have had a couple "spiritied debates" on how you could have everyone play at least one on the first day, and winners play two - which polulates you bracket for approximate start times on day 2. but it would require a modified 3-2-3 format (which means everyone plays at least two days instead of 1/4 the field being out in the first evening after traveling across the country....). pros and cons to each. but steve is admamtly against it - so a moot point it is....no matter what format, gotta play 5th/6th games on day 2.
:)
We tried multiple times avoiding players getting knocked out day one. It only works if you don’t mind ridiculous late nights Sat and Sun. I mean truly ridiculous like 3 AM. Basically it simply doesn’t work. Two rounds winner side Friday and at least one full round on the one loss side (one more for the willing I.e. not too late a start), then down to final 4 for Sunday is what works with 32 players, and what we have done the last three MOT’s.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I got knocked out the first day by playing a third round after I was told no more pool. I was in no shape to resume playing because I was in a nap when I got the text. I also had taken my pain medication which is very strong. Anyway I will complain at the proper moment. I should just go to the tournaments and not enter but I figure paying $200 to get a bunch of gamblers who want to play OP together is reasonable. We Need a rule that gambling tables takes precedence over mini-tournaments.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
We tried multiple times avoiding players getting knocked out day one. It only works if you don’t mind ridiculous late nights Sat and Sun. I mean truly ridiculous like 3 AM. Basically it simply doesn’t work. Two rounds winner side Friday and at least one full round on the one loss side (one more for the willing I.e. not too late a start), then down to final 4 for Sunday is what works with 32 players, and what we have done the last three MOT’s.
Didn’t we play two rounds on the loser side Friday? In any case Sunday timing was great.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Didn’t we play two rounds on the loser side Friday? In any case Sunday timing was great.
about half did -- about half of the first one loss round finished pretty late and got a pass to Sat AM

Saturday is always a long day, but it is also the best day to be long. The earlier the room will let us start Saturday the better, basically, because we have about 5 one loss rounds to get through in that one day. Those can be tough. We finished the last one around 1:30 in CA I think. Getting to 4 players for Sunday is still three full rounds, even with the final match reduced to a single race to 4. That final is supposed to be hot seat winner gets the first break, but I think I missed the actual start of that final, so I am not dead sure who ended up breaking first. The format we are going with is a single lengthened race to 4, but with the hot seat winner having the advantage of the first break.