Carom/3C Standard Bridge?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In regards to a standard bridge;
in Billiards they either curl all fingers tightly together and back, or just leave out the pinky.
In Pocket Billiards usually all fingers have a spread.

Why in Billiards do they do this?
thanks, Whitey

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Well I'll say that for Carom (excluding 3c)
There are over a dozen Bridges expert players will use, all depends on the shot at hand

In Xavier's 700 page book(PDF) on his extensive Carom knowledge, it has atleast 2 pages with photos of the various Bridges he uses

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Well I'll say that for Carom (excluding 3c)
There are over a dozen Bridges expert players will use, all depends on the shot at hand

In Xavier's 700 page book(PDF) on his extensive Carom knowledge, it has atleast 2 pages with photos of the various Bridges he uses
Yes, I understand that but for a normal shot easily addressed that does not take any special bridge, but just the 'standard bridge' with the fingers together and curled back, almost underneath and appearing that the weight is on the pinky which is on the bottom and underneath the other fingers, is this a European standard bridge.
Is it almost considered a click-ish style, that if you are going to play Billiards then this is the bridge you use.
Or,
is there some kind of an advantage or reason for this style.
Or,
is it all non-sense, and a regular pocket billiard bridge will work for normal playing shots.
Anybody know?
thanks, Whitey

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
here is a pro explanation dennis :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks, in mr3c post #4 he explains that the cb is bigger and that is the reason for this special bridge, to raise the height of the cue while still maintaining a solid bridge.
It is very impressive that Bill puts a coin on his bridge hand and then does a 9 rail and the coin does not even quiver.
I am going to be trying this bridge and see how it works for stability on the higher stroked shots.
I also have Bill's book that he gave me, very appreciative of it. I could of answered my own question by just referring to his book. I better pay more attention!
Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is a pro explanation dennis :)

Good find richard
i was going to call mr3 cushion yesterday about it but forgot
i also forgot that thread
i guess I am officially a member of the old farts club😱

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
nah, your ok, im the one whos glued to the forums all day instead of paying attention at work 🤓