Changing Gears

Rhino

I am new to this wonderful game. I love it. I think about it all the time, even when I am shaving in the morning. This should bring some chuckles to you veterans out there.

While I consider myself an "O.K." shooter--I can run a couple racks of nine-ball on a big diamond, or 4 to 5 racks on a bar-box--I am having trouble with shooting simple shots after banking with pocket speed, spinning, bunting, and thinning quite a few shots in a row. Playing pocket speed on easy shots or playing position by moving into a "higher gear" seems to throw me off. I end up missing a shot that I should never miss, and often sell-out. Then I have this little fear in the back of my mind concerning shots I would normally fire in all night.

Is this normal? Will it go away with more playing time? Do you consciously change gears? Or does it become natural after awhile?

By the way, I love this site.

R

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Your problem is normal. Join the club. If your pre-shot routine is not that regimented you may want to think about providing yourself with the same process before EVERY shot.

kollegedave

Rhino said:
I am new to this wonderful game. I love it. I think about it all the time, even when I am shaving in the morning. This should bring some chuckles to you veterans out there.

While I consider myself an "O.K." shooter--I can run a couple racks of nine-ball on a big diamond, or 4 to 5 racks on a bar-box--I am having trouble with shooting simple shots after banking with pocket speed, spinning, bunting, and thinning quite a few shots in a row. Playing pocket speed on easy shots or playing position by moving into a "higher gear" seems to throw me off. I end up missing a shot that I should never miss, and often sell-out. Then I have this little fear in the back of my mind concerning shots I would normally fire in all night.

Is this normal? Will it go away with more playing time? Do you consciously change gears? Or does it become natural after awhile?

R

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I think that my One Pocket "stroke and approach" to shot making is different than my 9 ball game. I also can say the same for 14.1 and 9 ball. I know it is mostly mental. In 14.1 and One pocket, my mistakes can cost me more than in 9 ball.

I also found that after the first couple of sets of 1P, that my confidence level increases to overcome my fear of making those costly mistakes. Unless, of course, I am losing.

The more you play, the more difficult it is to quit.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I might be one of the least qualified to answer this, since my 9-ball game (what little there ever was of it :) ) went south a long time ago, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I think of a couple of things,

1, is Steve Cook's advice, to always "work as hard on the easiest shots and moves as you would on the most difficult". If you do that, you are never really letting up on your focus, and you can't let up on your stroke either, or you simply won't deliver the object balls and the cue ball with precision.

2, Take full advantage of all the opportunities that do come up to fire either a firm bank or a firm safety (like a stop-shot safety) to help you stay 'in stroke'.

3, Watch some early Shannon Daulton videos, or maybe Ronnie Allen in the 5-tape match with Di Liberto. They both shot pretty aggressively, so how could they get out of stroke?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
1pocket is a game that requires you to shoot shots “you know” at speeds and with position that you don’t -- that’s why all the 9ballers try the game, flub shot after shot, and then claim the game “gets them out of stroke.”

It is a game that rewards attention to minute detail and precision, while brutally punishing the careless.

It is a game that requires a familiarity with one, two, three, and four rail banks and kicks not commonly shot at other disciplines.

Equally, it compels you to execute caroms, banks, and combinations, with a PhD in speed, english, and throw.

It is a game that demands you play not only your opponent, but the table, the score, and your inner demons.

And, it is a game that requires a level of study, creativity, imagination, and guts that shooting 9 balls in rotation does not stimulate or cultivate.

Stick with it and you’ll learn that that which you thought you knew is unlearned… but knowable.

Lou Figueroa

Rhino said:

R

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
Great name Rhino!...I had problems when I first started playing 1P with shots that NEVER came up in other games, it's just something to get used to...... an old friend told me to just think about torturing your opponent on every shot. There is no room for "mr niceguy" in the great game of 1P. You can be a great guy to play, but still twist the knife while being nice, and enjoy every minute of it:D

Gerry

Gerald

Verified Member
Rhino, I like you are a newbie to the game and doubt that I bring the same 9 Ball skills to the game that you have. You are in for some frustrating times and some totally satisfying times. Sometimes you will be so intent on not selling out you will miss shots because of the different speeds that you have to use. Other times you will be elated as your 2-3-4-5 rail shots become more accurate and your speed becomes pocket speed. Sometimes you will make what you feel is a good shot only to have a more experienced player see something in the rack you missed and go 8 and out on you. All games require skills and are a constant learning process but none more so than One Pocket!

Matt_24

Verified Member
Here is the thing.

The fundamentals of making a shot do NOT change from game to game. Position play changes, so when you switch from 9 ball to one pocket you're suddenly going for shots and moves which you aren't used to, thus your pocketing ability is affected. Adjusting for this won't take long. What does take long is improving your banks and moves. Once you improve these banks though...you'll find your 9 ball game improving immensely! When I'm playing, there isn't a short rail bank to the corner that I can miss very often and this comes in handy with 9 ball. You gain a confidence in these banks that you didn't have before.

Coming from a 9 ball background, I fell in love with one pocket a few years ago...and there is nothing I would RATHER play now. I love running out, don't get me wrong...but now it is running 8 balls into one pocket. I also love the amount of creativity you can bring to one pocket, unlike ANY other game.

Simply put, there is no better game than one pocket. I know I've gone off on a tangent....Sorry!

Official_Donator

Rhino, I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe we should play and it could possibly turn into the ugliest game ever! :D

One other thing I've found after starting to play one pocket: I start playing shape in 8-9 as if I have to make everything in the same corner instead of choosing an easy path for the runout. Am I just crazy or do others find themselves doing this too?