Charlie The Ape

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
When I was traveling with Pucket in th early 60s' we had Charlie on our list.

We went to a bar in San Pedro and Pucket beat him out of all his money, his diamond ring and the title to his Cadillac. Charlie came the next day to redeem both the ring and the car with cash.

We rented a place by the water and Pucket would go out on the fishing barge and bring home lots of fish to cook.

He taught me the best way to fry fish.

Bill S.
And how was that Bill?
Lightly coat the fillets with French's yellow mustard, add salt & pepper, then lightly coat the entire fillet in white corn meal. Fry in very hot vegetable oil until the fillet turns a light golden brown and floats to the surface. Serve with hush nannies, French fries, cole slaw & ice cold beer. I miss Puckett, he was a true character.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Brings back good (and not so good) memories. In 1983 played Charlie 5-6 times at Orange County Sports Arena, usually $25 a game one pocket. I think I gave him 8-7. Never had any problems with Charlie but that game was one I couldn't win much if anything with. With Charlie you more or less had to give him his way to play. I do recall he was a purveyor of stimulating powder which seemed to be quite popular at that time.

During a few of my forays into Orange County, a pool buddy from Detroit, Glenn Atwell came with me. He played Charlie one pocket at the Sports Arena. I know we won several hundred the first time they played and there were a few game adjustments made which slowed Charlie's loss rate. The next time they played I seem to recall it resulted in a draw or close to it with a big time tab. With my part of my winnings from the first Atwell/ Ape encounter I shopped at a leather good store on Ventura Boulevard near the House of Billiards. I bought a pricey and well made leather men's toiletry bag that lasted me for more than 25 years!

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Jazznpool, is your friend the same Glenn Atwell that relocated up to the Ore./Wash. area? Great player.

~Doc
Yes, I've known Glenn since about 1977 before he went in the Navy. I knew his first wife. I didn't know him very well at first. Met him at Tom Cobb's poolroom in Mt. Clemens Michigan. When Glenn came home on leaves from the Navy I put a few players on him (Ricky McCallum and Tommy Lazlo) to relieve him of his bankroll at 9-ball. Back then chopping up a $600.00 score was an accompishment. Easily like winning 2K today. Glenn turned himself into a strong player despite his unconventional stance. He is a very likable guy who taught me that some guys will play and lose if they feel like they are being entertained. I lost touch with Glenn about 3 years ago. I heard he was dealing with health issues.

Glenn, talked about how much he liked San Diego where he was stationed in the Navy. When the Detroit economy soured in late 1981, I packed up my van, headed for San Diego and never looked back--influenced in part by what I heard from Glenn and from staying a month in North Hollywood in 1977.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes, I've known Glenn since about 1977 before he went in the Navy. I knew his first wife. I didn't know him very well at first. Met him at Tom Cobb's poolroom in Mt. Clemens Michigan. When Glenn came home on leaves from the Navy I put a few players on him (Ricky McCallum and Tommy Lazlo) to relieve him of his bankroll at 9-ball. Back then chopping up a $600.00 score was an accompishment. Easily like winning 2K today. Glenn turned himself into a strong player despite his unconventional stance. He is a very likable guy who taught me that some guys will play and lose if they feel like they are being entertained. I lost touch with Glenn about 3 years ago. I heard he was dealing with health issues.

Glenn, talked about how much he liked San Diego where he was stationed in the Navy. When the Detroit economy soured in late 1981, I packed up my van, headed for San Diego and never looked back--influenced in part by what I heard from Glenn and from staying a month in North Hollywood in 1977.
Yeah, Glenn is (was) a very good player, who surprised some guys who were not familiar with his game. He was in that group of players who were just a shade below the top players-- like Chris MacDonald, Mike Surber, Dee Adkins, Dan Louie, and the like. Do you agree?

Didn't he have some congenital problem with his leg or hip, which caused his unorthodox stance and gait? If he's having health problems currently, I hope that they're transient. I recall that he was a heavy smoker.

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Glen became one of the premier bar table eight ball players on the west coast. Battled for the all around title at the bar table championships in Reno for a few years. And Yes Doc, I think smoking probably had something to do with his ailments.