Chicago Players

8NOUT

Since this board has a strong Chicago presence I would like to know how strong these players were, all of them were mainly from Chicago during the 60s and 70s: Jim King, Pete Johnson and how good was John Abruzzo back then. Maybe Freddy could chime in for he’s the pool historian in here. Oh, and how good was the trick shot artist Jack White, I think he originally was from Pittsburgh.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Short-stops except for John Abruzzo

Short-stops except for John Abruzzo

8NOUT said:
Since this board has a strong Chicago presence I would like to know how strong these players were, all of them were mainly from Chicago during the 60s and 70s: Jim King, Pete Johnson and how good was John Abruzzo back then. Maybe Freddy could chime in for he’s the pool historian in here. Oh, and how good was the trick shot artist Jack White, I think he originally was from Pittsburgh.

You are talking about all short-stops except for John Abruzzo. He could have been a great player if he would chosen pool instead of horses. He still plays great 8ball. Pete Johnson and Jack White I dont much remember. Need more info.
the Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
8NOUT said:
Oh, and how good was the trick shot artist Jack White, I think he originally was from Pittsburgh.
There was a player, "Pittsburgh Jack", who was the house man for while in a large bowling alley/poolroom in the South Hills during the late 50's, early 60's. He was a strong player, although I wasn't good enough to judge his true speed then. He did give some trick shot exhibitions. I believe he moved out to Vegas in '62 or so. Seems to me "Billiards Digest" did a piece on him a few years back.

Doc

Lunchmoney

Verified Member
From
Washington State
gulfportdoc said:
There was a player, "Pittsburgh Jack", who was the house man for while in a large bowling alley/poolroom in the South Hills during the late 50's, early 60's. He was a strong player, although I wasn't good enough to judge his true speed then. He did give some trick shot exhibitions. I believe he moved out to Vegas in '62 or so. Seems to me "Billiards Digest" did a piece on him a few years back.

Doc

Pittsburgh Jack was indeed Jack White. I saw him do several exhibitions back in the '70s and he put on a great show. He has the gift of gab and all in all very entertaining. There is a thread on AZB about Jack. I had asked a question about him and there was a lot of responses. He is in his 70's now and still does a show from time to time. He spent most of his career doing exhibitions for students and armed forces. Someone in the thread noted he was a successful road player in his early years and that he played pretty sporty.

Lunchmoney

luckybreaky

Verified Member
Jack White...

Jack White...

I have a video of Jack white if anybody is interested pm me..?

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
8NOUT said:
As far as Jim King goes, Freddy would be right about him being a shortstop too. Although he did thump Steve Oaks for the cash when he was playing every day at Oak Park Billiards. Later he found out who Steve was and wanted no more of it.

Lunchmoney

Verified Member
From
Washington State
hemicudas said:
As far as Jim King goes, Freddy would be right about him being a shortstop too. Although he did thump Steve Oaks for the cash when he was playing every day at Oak Park Billiards. Later he found out who Steve was and wanted no more of it.

$Bill,

I never saw Steve Oakes play, how strong was/is he? I am curious because, as I told you before, Dot thought I was Steve my first time in the Greenway. The only one who knew better was Dancer and he wasn't talking LOL.

Lunchmoney

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
top 20

top 20

Lunchmoney said:
$Bill,

I never saw Steve Oakes play, how strong was/is he? I am curious because, as I told you before, Dot thought I was Steve my first time in the Greenway. The only one who knew better was Dancer and he wasn't talking LOL.

Lunchmoney
Steve played in the top 20, 9 ballers on earth in the 70s. Played 8 ball top speed too. I don't know his one pocket speed or if he even played the game. Freddy probably knows. I made one road trip with Steve to catch one guy that I couldn't beat and the guy was out of pocket. He did beat a few of the locals to pay for the trip though.

When I first met Steve he ask me to stear him around Jackson. I told him I needed to know his speed and ask if he had ever played Richard Austen in Memphis and how they played? He reluctantly said yea they played but was in no hurry to say how they played. So, I came out and ask him, how do you guys play? Steve said, I give him the 7 ball and have never lost. Nuff info for me.

P.S. Dot must have never seen Steve because you guys look NOTHING alike, LOL.

Last edited:

Lunchmoney

Verified Member
From
Washington State
hemicudas said:
Steve played in the top 20, 9 ballers on earth in the 70s. Played 8 ball top speed too. I don't know his one pocket speed or if he even played the game. Freddy probably knows. I made one road trip with Steve to catch one guy that I couldn't beat and the guy was out of pocket. He did beat a few of the locals to pay for the trip though.

When I first met Steve he ask me to stear him around Jackson. I told him I needed to know his speed and ask if he had ever played Richard Austen in Memphis and how they played? He reluctantly said yea they played but was in no hurry to say how they played. So, I came out and ask him, how do you guys play? Steve said, I give him the 7 ball and have never lost. Nuff info for me.

P.S. Dot must have never seen Steve because you guys look NOTHING alike, LOL.

I don't know if she had or not. Someone may have said something to her. I distinctly remember my first night in the Greenway. My partner and I started playing some 9-ball just for practice and there must have been 15 or 20 people sweating the game. Dot came over and "interviewed" us. I still don't know why she thought I was Steve, must have been the mustache and the hairline........LOL

Thanks for the info.

Lunchmoney

8NOUT

Billiard Cafe

Billiard Cafe

Thanks Freddy and the rest. What's going on down at the Billiard Cafe, I haven't been down there in 10 years or more, I hated the new room Frank moved to. Does Frank or his kid still run the place and does anyone still go there??? It seems back then a lot of players were going to Chris's after he offered players a special deal, and then down the street to Billy's place for late action. Also, what was the name of the room in Alsip back then( before Redshoes) where they had a private back room with three tables. I watched Bugs and Grady play one pocket there back in 91. I've been away from the game for awhile. Stopped by Chris's this summer and the place was almost empty, doesn't seem to be the same, run down a little. Watched Marco play Freddy some banks and there was some woman behind the counter who reminded me of the lady behind the bar in "Walking Tall", SCARY.

Last edited:

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
8NOUT said:
Thanks Freddy and the rest. What's going on down at the Billiard Cafe, I haven't been down there in 10 years or more, I hated the new room Frank moved to. Does Frank or his kid still run the place and does anyone still go there??? It seems back then a lot of players were going to Chris's after he offered players a special deal, and then down the street to Billy's place for late action. Also, what was the name of the room in Alsip back then( before Redshoes) where they had a private back room with three tables. I watched Bugs and Grady play one pocket there back in 91. I've been away from the game for awhile. Stopped by Chris's this summer and the place was almost empty, doesn't seem to be the same, run down a little. Watched Marco play Freddy some banks and there was some woman behind the counter who reminded me of the lady behind the bar in "Walking Tall", SCARY.
the billiard cafe was just sold . all young kids now , no players anymore . chris's still gets a little action now and then , but its basically slow . freddy can answer the other questions . philip