Dcc reports

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
How are you seeing this, Doc? Is there a chart available online?

pj
chgo
Patrick, did you find the link?

I see Bernie Pettipiece is undefeated, although he has to play SVB in the 7th round. Bernie could definitely beat him though.

Brumback has one loss going into the 8th round. Frost has given him fits this year, beating John in the banks and 1P.:( But yet Frost is out.

Our man Lou F. went out in the 6th round, but a good tournament. Jerry Matchin also had a fine showing.

~Doc

Cloidius

Verified Member
What's the score of that match, Steve. Must be a grinder. The winner will be one of two remaining unbeaten players, along with JJ.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What's the score of that match, Steve. Must be a grinder. The winner will be one of two remaining unbeaten players, along with JJ.

Bernie lost that match with Dechaine for his first loss. He looked a little tired and made one serious mistake bumping a ball into the jaws of Mike's pocket in the last game, allowing Mike to run out.

Pretty unlikely for Dechaine to be one of only two players left with both barrels remaining -- Jeremy Jones being the other. But Efren, Shannon and a dozen or so other players are also hanging around with just one loss...

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Patrick, did you find the link?

I see Bernie Pettipiece is undefeated, although he has to play SVB in the 7th round. Bernie could definitely beat him though.

Brumback has one loss going into the 8th round. Frost has given him fits this year, beating John in the banks and 1P.:( But yet Frost is out.

Our man Lou F. went out in the 6th round, but a good tournament. Jerry Matchin also had a fine showing.

~Doc

Thanks, Doc. Had a blast. Met tons of guys and said hello to dozens of old friends.

Lou Figueroa

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well they're down to the final 16 to tee off at 10 A.M. for the 9th round. As Steve said only two are undefeated: Jeremy Jones and Mike Dechaine.

Most of the matches will be marquee contests. Apparently Daulton and Justin Hall will be on the TV table. Other interesting matches will be JJ vs. Joyner, and Bernie vs. Bustamante. Brumback takes on Josh Roberts.

It's nice to see JJ playing well.

Based on some reports, Dechaine is fortunate to be undefeated. He holds one of the two get-out-of-jail free cards, so he'll survive at least to the 10th round; but I wouldn't expect to see him among the final several guys.

With their late round presence it keeps Brumback and Daulton in the high running for all-around money.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Bernie lost that match with Dechaine for his first loss. He looked a little tired and made one serious mistake bumping a ball into the jaws of Mike's pocket in the last game, allowing Mike to run out.

Pretty unlikely for Dechaine to be one of only two players left with both barrels remaining -- Jeremy Jones being the other. But Efren, Shannon and a dozen or so other players are also hanging around with just one loss...

Mike is tiptoeing through the raindrops so far, but who knows, he banks good and when he does get any kind of shot he makes it with position. The tables are still playing fairly loose and this helps him.

I played awful against him, playing upstairs on a table that played quite a bit different than the tables downstairs IMO.

I think if he catches a fresh Bernie or Brandon Shuff, a great mover with firepower, it may catch up to him, but he is sailing along right now.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Look forward to your usual good report, Lou. I'm also interested in hearing stories about the Cyclops pool balls.

~Doc

Not planning a trip report, Doc, though thank you for the kind sentiment.

Lou Figueroa

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Well they're down to the final 16 to tee off at 10 A.M. for the 9th round. As Steve said only two are undefeated: Jeremy Jones and Mike Dechaine.

Most of the matches will be marquee contests. Apparently Daulton and Justin Hall will be on the TV table. Other interesting matches will be JJ vs. Joyner, and Bernie vs. Bustamante. Brumback takes on Josh Roberts.

It's nice to see JJ playing well.

Based on some reports, Dechaine is fortunate to be undefeated. He holds one of the two get-out-of-jail free cards, so he'll survive at least to the 10th round; but I wouldn't expect to see him among the final several guys.

With their late round presence it keeps Brumback and Daulton in the high running for all-around money.

~Doc

Along with Shannon and Brumback, add J Hall, Efren, and Bustie in the All-Around running

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
the miller report.....

the miller report.....

Well, I returned from DCC yesterday; my days and nights are mixed up and I am licking my wounds a little bit…..

So everyone knows I am pretty much a homebody and only get out a couple times a month. This time of year is always the exception and I had spent the last six weeks playing as much as I could and several times with my fellow onepocket.org members and good friends from the STL area Lou Figueroa and Dave Brengle (kollegedave). I have no naïve perceptions but felt like I was hitting them pretty sporty, confidently, and thought I might just sneak up on the pack this year.

First draw comes up and I couldn’t believe my eyes and actually laughed out loud. Miller draws his buddy Donn Schrader (DWS) who he has played with several times on his home court when Donn was visiting/traveling through the STL area. First two racks, I play good and win. Third rack Donn shows up, leaves me the entire first half of the game in the stack, drills a couple of impressive banks and puts together a couple of small difficult runs, outplays me with some balls uptable. 2-1. Fourth rack I have several balls in the tray and Donn comes alive with an impressive five or six ball run (none of them were hangers), comes down to two balls uptable and I hit an off angle one railer off the bottom rail pocket speed. Nice hit, Miller books a winner.

My second match was with a true gentleman named John Clayton from central Illinois. In all respect, I feel that I should have won but didn’t. First two racks I had six balls in the tray but just couldn’t get out (what comes to mind is jawing a ball I am supposed to make and dogging a spot shot). Got to give credit where due and John is a very “uncomfortable” guy to play when he goes into lockdown mode. He simply outplayed me when the balls got uptable. Third rack, John lays down a good break, several innings later I find myself completely outmoved while taking two intentionals. At the table in the mother of all traps, I tried to execute a five railer to put him in behind everything going his way. Hit it good, but it caught a ball going into the fifth rail, the rest is curtains.

I buy back in and draw Tom D’Alfonso. Uh-oh. D’Alfonso is a player. I get beat like a drum. Only remarkable thing about the match is that Tom inadvertently spotted one of my balls (only ball in either tray at the time) and neither one of us notice until we had both already been to the table - we come to an amicable resolution to the situation, but it makes absolutely no difference at all.

My favorite part of the trip was meeting, hanging out, and playing with all the guys from here on the site and a few friends/acquaintances from the STL area who were also in attendance. When putting this trip report together, I wanted to mention all the onepocket.org members, but came up with a list over 20 names long! So I have a blanket statement: it is a true pleasure to be acquainted with such a good group of people. I have yet to meet a single person from our close-knit group whose company I do not enjoy and respect.

Some congratulations are in order for onepocket.org brethren. Honorable Mention to Bille and Mitch. To Bille from coming back two games down and defeating Paul Mottey. To Mitch for his W in the action room. Honor Roll to Lou and Jerry/Baby Huey (the one guy I somehow missed meeting….) for going into the sixth round. High Honor Roll to Bernie! Bernie, I am sure you are disappointed right now, but what you did is play with the best players in the world and more than hold your own and it couldn’t happen for a better and classier man.

Next year we got to figure out how to book our own private room with an open table. If you win you stay on for $20 rack. If you want to step up, put your name on the list and play.

:)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Mike is tiptoeing through the raindrops so far, but who knows, he banks good and when he does get any kind of shot he makes it with position. The tables are still playing fairly loose and this helps him.

I played awful against him, playing upstairs on a table that played quite a bit different than the tables downstairs IMO.

I think if he catches a fresh Bernie or Brandon Shuff, a great mover with firepower, it may catch up to him, but he is sailing along right now.
I'm surprised but impressed that Dechaine has lasted to the 11th round-- still undefeated! Is he simply a run out player, or does he play decent strategy as well?

I'm pulling for Justin Hall. I'm not sure if he's ever won the 1P or banks yet (he may have), but he's certainly knocked on the door a few times.

But the Filipinos are lurking. Since there are 3 of them left out of 5 players, statistically there's a good chance of one of them winning it.

Very nice finish for Bernie. Way to go, my man!

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Great trip report, Dustin. Justin 'Hollywood' Hall won both the banks and one pocket in the First Tunica 2012, I heard someone say. I didn't look it up so don't hold me..

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Alex The Lion has destroyed Hollywood Hall and written him out of the script, in record time. He can't wait to get a hold of Mike. He's foaming and gnashing his teeth. The white foam is pink where the blood and saliva have emulsified. Dr. Bill and Nick Varner were doing commentary. People around the TV table are becoming afraid. I can't watch anymore. It's too brutal....

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I watched a young guy from Holland that played great against Pagulayan , anyone know his name? Also a Russian guy I never saw before that played Scott Frost , played a really nice game.
Watched Bernie beat Tang Hoa, nothing fancy {although he can if need be}, just never leaves anything to shoot at, or if he does, it has a nasty penalty if you miss .
Great to see some of the other countries besides Phillipines are playing high level 1 pocket.
Most of the players looked exhausted to me, I also heard there was some flu going around.

JAM

Verified Member
Well, I returned from DCC yesterday; my days and nights are mixed up and I am licking my wounds a little bit…..

So everyone knows I am pretty much a homebody and only get out a couple times a month. This time of year is always the exception and I had spent the last six weeks playing as much as I could and several times with my fellow onepocket.org members and good friends from the STL area Lou Figueroa and Dave Brengle (kollegedave). I have no naïve perceptions but felt like I was hitting them pretty sporty, confidently, and thought I might just sneak up on the pack this year.

First draw comes up and I couldn’t believe my eyes and actually laughed out loud. Miller draws his buddy Donn Schrader (DWS) who he has played with several times on his home court when Donn was visiting/traveling through the STL area. First two racks, I play good and win. Third rack Donn shows up, leaves me the entire first half of the game in the stack, drills a couple of impressive banks and puts together a couple of small difficult runs, outplays me with some balls uptable. 2-1. Fourth rack I have several balls in the tray and Donn comes alive with an impressive five or six ball run (none of them were hangers), comes down to two balls uptable and I hit an off angle one railer off the bottom rail pocket speed. Nice hit, Miller books a winner.

My second match was with a true gentleman named John Clayton from central Illinois. In all respect, I feel that I should have won but didn’t. First two racks I had six balls in the tray but just couldn’t get out (what comes to mind is jawing a ball I am supposed to make and dogging a spot shot). Got to give credit where due and John is a very “uncomfortable” guy to play when he goes into lockdown mode. He simply outplayed me when the balls got uptable. Third rack, John lays down a good break, several innings later I find myself completely outmoved while taking two intentionals. At the table in the mother of all traps, I tried to execute a five railer to put him in behind everything going his way. Hit it good, but it caught a ball going into the fifth rail, the rest is curtains.

I buy back in and draw Tom D’Alfonso. Uh-oh. D’Alfonso is a player. I get beat like a drum. Only remarkable thing about the match is that Tom inadvertently spotted one of my balls (only ball in either tray at the time) and neither one of us notice until we had both already been to the table - we come to an amicable resolution to the situation, but it makes absolutely no difference at all.

My favorite part of the trip was meeting, hanging out, and playing with all the guys from here on the site and a few friends/acquaintances from the STL area who were also in attendance. When putting this trip report together, I wanted to mention all the onepocket.org members, but came up with a list over 20 names long! So I have a blanket statement: it is a true pleasure to be acquainted with such a good group of people. I have yet to meet a single person from our close-knit group whose company I do not enjoy and respect.

Some congratulations are in order for onepocket.org brethren. Honorable Mention to Bille and Mitch. To Bille from coming back two games down and defeating Paul Mottey. To Mitch for his W in the action room. Honor Roll to Lou and Jerry/Baby Huey (the one guy I somehow missed meeting….) for going into the sixth round. High Honor Roll to Bernie! Bernie, I am sure you are disappointed right now, but what you did is play with the best players in the world and more than hold your own and it couldn’t happen for a better and classier man.

Next year we got to figure out how to book our own private room with an open table. If you win you stay on for $20 rack. If you want to step up, put your name on the list and play.

:)

Sounds like you really had a blast. Good for you!

Also, nice to see OnePocket.org members in attendance in full force at the Derby. Very nice, indeed! :)

JAM

Verified Member
I watched a young guy from Holland that played great against Pagulayan , anyone know his name? Also a Russian guy I never saw before that played Scott Frost , played a really nice game.
Watched Bernie beat Tang Hoa, nothing fancy {although he can if need be}, just never leaves anything to shoot at, or if he does, it has a nasty penalty if you miss .
Great to see some of the other countries besides Phillipines are playing high level 1 pocket.
Most of the players looked exhausted to me, I also heard there was some flu going around.

Oh, man, that Derby flu. Once it goes around, everybody gets it. Happened to us in 2003 in Louisville. Fortunately, the flu we had only lasted a few days, so we could enjoy the majority of the week.

One thing for sure, though, if you ever do the Derby in style, sleep is a second thought because nobody wants ot miss all the action. Took me a week to recover after I got back home and sleep it off.

One thing for sure, the memories are priceless and forever-lasting. :cool: