Desert Classic Tour--$1000 added Az State One Pocket Tourn. results.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Did not see too many 1P.org guys on the chat, Da Barber was the only other guy I saw. You all missed some good matches if you weren't tuned in... 31 quality players (some world class) made it a hugh success. Congrats to Fast Lenny, (who, despite getting pepper-sprayed in a bar altercation, on Fiday night) finished 7/8, with some rare, but well deserved wins, over Mike Pankoff and Bernie P....Everybody was saying, he should maybe buy a can of it, to use on himself, before playing. Ha,ha.

The final four came down to Scott Frost, Jose Parica, Bobby Emmonds, and Ronn Rutan.

Frost battled through the one loss side after being defeated (3-0) early in the tourney by Parica. Parica and Emmonds, played for the hot seat, with Bobby scoring a surprising win, by making just about everything he shot at.

That sent Jose over to Face Scott, who had just defeated Preacher Ronn by running 3, 8 and outs in about 20 minutes...Parica delivered Scott his second 3-0 defeat (both against Jose) and earned him a rematch with Emmonds in the one, race to 5 final.

The little man did not waste any time avenging his earlier loss, as he won the title easily, by a score of 5 to 1.

Interesting side note, after the tournament was over, Scott still had his believer's, and offered Jose a full ball, (8/7) in a longer race for some fair sized $$$$.
..Despite beating Frost by a combined 6 to 0, playing even in the tournament, Parica passed. (maybe wisely)... Scott has been very "iffy" in tournaments of late, but his game seems to go up a few notches, for the cash.

Sorry I don't have the prize money breakdown, but I believe 1st pl. was well over $1000 including side pots. I believe 2nd was around $650.

1st pl.-Jose Parica
2nd pl.-Bobby Emmonds
3rd pl.-Scott Frost
4th pl.-Ronn Rutan

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Dick,

Thanks for the great report! I was out of pocket all weekend and could not watch it so it is nice get the summary from you.

DeeMan

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Great job Jose! That's pretty strong beating Frost 2 different times 3-0. Then beating the guy that beat everyone to get to the finals, 5-1.

3, 8 and out's have to hurt. I wonder what Scott was offering race or ahead wise? I think Jose probably isn't into playing a champion onepocket player with the offense Scott has, some long set or a ahead match. The guy is getting up there in age. Jose was probably shot just playing the tourney, let alone go battle a young man for hours and hours.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
SJDinPHX said:
Did not see too many 1P.org guys on the chat, Da Barber was the only other guy I saw. You all missed some good matches if you weren't tuned in... 31 quality players (some world class) made it a hugh success. Congrats to Fast Lenny, (who, despite getting pepper-sprayed in a bar altercation, on Fiday night) finished 7/8, with some rare wins over Mike Pankoff and Bernie P....Everybody was saying, he should maybe buy a can of it, to use on himself, before playing. Ha,ha.

The final four came down to Scott Frost, Jose Parica, Bobby Emmonds, and Ronn Rutan.

Frost battled through the one loss side after being defeated (3-0) early in the tourney by Parica. Parica and Emmonds, played for the hot seat, with Bobby scoring a surprising win, by making just about everything he shot at.

That sent Jose over to Face Scott, who had just defeated Preacher Ronn by running 3, 8 and outs in about 20 minutes...Parica delivered Scott his second 3-0 defeat (both against Jose) and earned him a rematch with Emmonds in the one, race to 5 final.

The little man did not waste any time avenging his earlier loss, as he won the title easily, by a score of 5 to 1.

Interesting side note, after the tournament was over, Scott still had his believer's, and offered Jose a full ball, (8/7) in a longer race for some fair sized $$$$.
..Despite beating Frost by a combined 6 to 0, playing even in the tournament, Parica passed. (maybe wisely)...While Scott has been very "iffy" in tournaments of late, but his game seems to go up a few notches, for the cash.

Sorry I don't have the prize money breakdown, but I believe 1st pl. was well over $1000 including side pots. I believe 2nd was around $650.

1st pl.-Jose Parica
2nd pl.-Bobby Emmonds
3rd pl.-Scott Frost
4th pl.-Ronn Rutan

Thanks for the kind words bud, I do not think the spray was what helped, I really believe a few shots on my head with a baton did, lmao. The whole incident was unfortunate but what is a half italian/half irish young man supposed to do when someone takes a swing? :D

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I stayed up and watched the last five or six hours of this event, and I was pulling for Jose to win it. I have nothing against the young guy, but I did not want my elderly hero to lose to a player who could do nothing but shoot. Emmonds did not look like a one-pocket player in any way. It was amazing that he had come thru that field without a loss. In the final match, it seemed he could hardly wait for the balls to stop rolling.

Whatever else it was, it was a good show and well done. Sadly, most of the commentary had little to do with the games being played. Part of the time I had it muted out. Doing commentary isn't as easy as people might think, but when there's nothing to say, don't say anything. Silence is not a sin, especially when there is video. It isn't like radio.

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
old-time used to be....

old-time used to be....

.......when silence was golden.I know what you mean,I havent used the volume on the tube for years,cheers V and to the poster for this field report,Bob

SJDinPHX

Suspended
vapros said:
I stayed up and watched the last five or six hours of this event, and I was pulling for Jose to win it. I have nothing against the young guy, but I did not want my elderly hero to lose to a player who could do nothing but shoot. Emmonds did not look like a one-pocket player in any way. It was amazing that he had come thru that field without a loss. In the final match, it seemed he could hardly wait for the balls to stop rolling.

Whatever else it was, it was a good show and well done. Sadly, most of the commentary had little to do with the games being played. Part of the time I had it muted out. Doing commentary isn't as easy as people might think, but when there's nothing to say, don't say anything. Silence is not a sin, especially when there is video. It isn't like radio.

My good friend George Teyacheya from Tuscon did most of the commentary, along with a few other half-drunks. (I was one, for a while on Sat...did not go Sun.) Sometimes the chat does lead the banter pretty far afield, especially when a female (like Sunnyone) joins in...:eek:

Actually, George does a pretty good job keeping up with the score, and stuff, but I always tease him about his shot selection...At times, his shot choices, would make Bobby Emmonds look like Nick Varner...:D (he is super aggressive, but can play pretty decent at times)...Also, I tell him he has an ideal face,...for radio..:p

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
vapros said:

I have gambled with Emmonds a few times and when he gets it going, there is not much you can do. I played him once on a table that had just been recovered and was playing a little soft, even with 4" pockets. He put so many eight and outs on me I had to do something to change it and raised the bet. Bad move on my part, he ran a few more before I pulled up.

He can get doggy like all of us when it's not working, but if he gets rolling, he is tough to beat.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Fast Lenny said:
Thanks for the kind words bud, I do not think the spray was what helped, I really believe a few shots on my head with a baton did, lmao. The whole incident was unfortunate but what is a half italian/half irish young man supposed to do when someone takes a swing? :D

Lenny in a scrap? Say it ain't so. Congratulations on your finish. It's a certainty now we need to play at the DCC. Hopefully by then I will have sight back in the eye and I'll be able to walk. If not, at least we can watch someone else play for the $$$$$.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Why bother ???...

Why bother ???...

I posted a link to this thread on AZ Billiards early this morning, thinking there may be some interest.....So far, 78 views, and only 1 response...Its on page 4 allready. (PS..Edit; 2 replies now, but one is from Cocobola, does he count ?

About 2 hours ago, some guy started a thread titled "If you spin a ball in, are you more likely to miss it" ?.....So far, he has allready had 12,563 views, and over 130 replies...:eek:

Not hard to see the level of their clientle, is it ? (or else I need to come up with more exciting topics)... I might try "If you mis-cue a lot, should you use more, or less chalk" ?... That should get 'em buzzing...:cool:

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
I posted a link to this thread on AZ Billiards early this morning, thinking there may be some interest.....So far, 78 views, and only 1 response...Its on page 4 allready.

About 2 hours ago, some guy started a thread titled "If you spin a ball in, are you more likely to miss it" ?.....So far, he has allready had 12,563 views, and over 130 replies...:eek:

Not hard to see the level of their clientle, is it ? (or else I need to come up with more exciting topics)... I might try "If you mis-cue a lot, should you use more, or less chalk" ?... That should get 'em buzzing...:cool:

I told you. Its a pure wasteland over there. I'll never put a post on there again. Its like chatting with teens live. Brb gotta check mail. brb brb don't go away. They are searching for short cuts and think its like some way to suddenly become a great pool player. Idiots and people selling junk to other idiots and people talking endlessly instead of going to the ppractice table.

I can't say anything though. When I was a kid I bought this book and thought I could spend a day in the pool room and come back and beat this guy who had taken all my stew. The main part of the book was about banking balls and bisecting the angles. I went in the poolroom and had a pencil and was measuring and drawing lines and dots on the table and the owner caught me and just Raised Hell. He said I was barred --Unless I got that table cleaned and racked balls for him the rest of the afternoon and all night till closing. I said but I have homework I have to get done. He said **** that you have poolroom work. He was nice. He let me duck out about nine oclock to get my school business completed, then later he told me how to sssssslllllllooooooowwly improve the right ways...............

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Inquiring rail birds want to noh ......

Inquiring rail birds want to noh ......

Do we have Lenny the Lock on video? Pepper spray/ Mace can be sooooooooooooooo amusing ..... not to mention a baton beating too boot!

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I am not a huge fan of watching the game played via 'the stream'.

LIVE, and in person is the way I like it. No commentary. Just watching the two opponents battle it out.

Sadly I have to wait until the first of the month One Pocket events to see the really good stuff 'up close'.

But, I do enjoy the Arizona players and their level of play and to watch it on Lenny's stream is the next best thing to being there.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
SJDinPHX said:
I might try "If you mis-cue a lot, should you use more, or less chalk" ?... That should get 'em buzzing...:cool:

Depends on if it's Kamui. :p

Being fairly new, I did pick up some good info here and there on the site, but you have to pick those bits out of everything else.

The disinformation is difficult to watch/listen to. Early on, many people(some long-time) said that spin couldn't be transfered. Freddy straightened them out, but more importantly he confirmed that for me the best way forward was to watch, learn/try and execute.

I enjoy watching Lenny progress, since I think he and I started out around the same time. To his benefit, imho, he's in a good spot for 1P and took it up early. Myself, I'm primarily a BB-8 person, but that lends itself to another set of skills. Now I need to mix the aggressive table attack and management with soft, pinpoint control and expansive strategy(how it looks to me, anywho).

As much as you may not like it, even the convalescent home gets new patients once in a while. :eek: :D

Pancake

Agreed

Agreed

jrhendy said:
I have gambled with Emmonds a few times and when he gets it going, there is not much you can do. I played him once on a table that had just been recovered and was playing a little soft, even with 4" pockets. He put so many eight and outs on me I had to do something to change it and raised the bet. Bad move on my part, he ran a few more before I pulled up.

He can get doggy like all of us when it's not working, but if he gets rolling, he is tough to beat.

Wish you could have been there again (like last year) John. You nailed it on the head with the description of his (Bobby Emmonds) game. If you do not respect his game he can punish... But, he's got a mohawk dude!

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Thanks for the kind words everyone, my goal in the tournament was to beat 1 good player and pull an upset, I beat 3 so it was great especially in the condition I was in, I looked like I had been to hell and back literally. I really respect those players that I beat and look up to their games as they play a good deal better than I do along with them being good guys in pool. As Efren would say...I got lucky. :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Pancake said:
Wish you could have been there again (like last year) John. You nailed it on the head with the description of his (Bobby Emmonds) game. If you do not respect his game he can punish... But, he's got a mohawk dude!

I have not seen Bobby in a while, but if the Mohawk helps, wonder how I would look with one:eek:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
John, try one of these, might be double the dose you need. :D