Did Mosconi Play One Pocket?

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Corey was not playing one-handed in that ahead set with Joyner. He was playing all shots with his collapsible rake. At least that's what I saw.

Martin

BackPocket9Ball said:
Corey is no stranger to betting high, a perfect example being his 4-ahead set for $4K against Cliff Joyner at DCC in January getting 10-6 while playing one-handed (which he won).

Here are Corey's finishes in the DCC One Pocket division over the past 5 years:

2001: 3rd
2002: 9th
2003: 7th
2004: 45th
2005: 2nd

While tournament finishes are certainly not the only measure of one's skill, many of these finishes were higher than all four "superior" players who have been mentioned (Parica, Joyner, Daulton, and Frost). He certainly can move with the very best, and at this time he is arguably the straightest shooter among the four mentioned above. While I am still NOT claiming that he is the best one pocket player, I certainly like his chances against any of them getting weight.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
jazznpool said:
Corey was not playing one-handed in that ahead set with Joyner. He was playing all shots with his collapsible rake. At least that's what I saw.

Martin

You're right; I made a mistake -- I meant to say with a bridge; not one-handed.

TulsaJohnny

Verified Member
A question for bibleman since he mentioned Rambow..

A question for bibleman since he mentioned Rambow..

Bibleman: I have two cues that I am sure were made by Rambow. One because of its construction, and one because it came with the first. Both have two identical pin-in-shaft shafts. Neither have a "bottle-shaped" taper mentioned to me by a Milwaukee collector. But I have not ever noticed any bottle shape to the documented Rambow cues I have seen. The cue that I am certain was a Rambow is a Brunswick "Carom King;" one of the precursors to the titlist, this cue replaced the 4-veneer 26 1/2 model. However as far as I know the carom king was sold in catalogs only as a 1-pc cue and this is an ivory-jointed model. It has a large ivory butt cap, not like the ivory ring on a Hoppe but 2-3x as thick as that with a screw holding it from the center bottom. Above this is a rectangular pearl nameplate, engraved with this player Roper's initials. It has a silk wrap of the same dark green type used by BBC from around 1910 that I know of. This cue is definitely custom from the 30's, has the original finish near perfect and the decal is 99.99% perfect with no fading. The butt below the veneered points is ebony. The finest condition cue from the early 30's that I've seen, this was well cared for as was the other cue from this man- an earlier BBC with a 1910-1915 era eagle decal (has the scrolls top and bottom of the decal) and this cue was the precursor to the master stroke with a leather wrap. The ivory joint on the Carom King is unique and has a metal (aluminum?) insert inside which is covered by the lip of the ivory.
If anyone else had made a custom cue at BBC at this time of this quality he would have been well known to have made cues for pros then, and nobody else is! What do you think?- Johnny