Efren Reyes vs. Nick Varner 1999 D.C.C.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Artie Bodendorfer said:
.... the key when you are in a trap you have to change your position so your opponent cant put you wright back in the same trap.....
I agree with this -- good advice when taking an intentional, otherwise you're likely to find yourself right back where you were.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
sappo said:
There is a correct time to take an intentional foul and you cant make a blanket statement that intentionals are wrong. I dont thinke Artie was saying ALL INTENTIONALS are wrong. I think he was speaking about the type of intentional Efren took in this case where his opponent could simply roll he cue ball back to its original position and Efrin has the same problem but now has 1 foul to worry about. I stick to my solution in post #10 where Efrin would take a foul but the table position has how changed completely. Here after Nick shoots E#frin may be in a much better position. I would ask some of our expert members to comment on this shot and this subject. Especially Artie. thanks Sappo
I was redering to Edrens shot othing else . I will give up one more important factor. ITs were you go with te intentianal scratch. And her is one I have never seen anyone do but me. But if your mibd does not work that way then you will never do it. And I was in a position were I was shooting and i could make the shot 80 times out off 81. BUt I took a intentianle scratch and lock the whole game up were my opponent was completly locked up and he either had to keeptaking intentinal scratces .And we were playing 3 in a row you loose the game. Or he could shoot and try to play safe and sell out the game completly. And her is one more great intentianal scratch situation and everyone says how can he do that he is on the first scratch. But what the ront see is that all I have to do on my next shot is barly touch the ball and go to te rail. And my opponent cant do that because he will give me a straight in shot. And on my first explination I gave on this post. I could ave made te ball and played safe. Biut it wouldnt have but my oponent in a trap were we must loose the game. And thats the position to get or put your opponent in were he cannot do anyting but loose the game. Scratches are very important if tey are used correctly. Since we are on intentional scratches. I will bring up a rule that needs to be changed and especialy if you are playing you can take as meny scratches as you want. But I am not going to keep up showeing and telling people what should be sone. I know ehats fair and tat is wat I go more then whos right or wrong. And in foot ball a lot off rules need to be changed. Because they are not fair. And the ules were made by people who dont no what they are doing. And I could show you so meny flaws. That people dont see and dont think about them. But gambling made me aware off all these rules and regulations. And thier are so meny. ITs just umblievable. And it takes everything out off the game. And the resute is the team that should win does not win, And even with the replays thier are big problems. And the way it is its open for coruption and cheating. But nobody says anything. And nobody has any power to change tem any way. Like who would listen to me and change it even if I was wright and it would make the correct decision. BUt people are people and all we can do is watch. Because nobody is looking for a saloution to make everything fair. THat is not the way our system is run. And I am going too fight my case against the Goverment. Because they violated me with a unlawfull law. But Back too the scratches. And this applys to handiecap games. If you are playin some one 10 to 5 and you take a intentional scratch you owe a ball. Iff your opponent takes a intentional scratch it should cost him two balls. And if he is playing you 15 to 5 a scratch should cost him 3 balls. And tat would be a fai rule. And if you are playing some one 15 to 5 and you both keep taking scratches because neither player wants to sell out. And he takes 20 scratches and you take 20 scratches. Know you are playing him 35 to 25. And you have no chance off winnig. And tr game is much longer benifiting the better player. And you go from a 3 to one to 7 to 5 in ball percentages. And a much longer game. You will have no chance to win. Even if you are playing him 15 to 5 and he scratces. How can your scrathes be equale amount. When he is spooting you 3 balls for every one. But I have never seen any say anything. And everyone just excepted te rules that a scratch cost you a ball. But te weeker player is taking way te worst off it. And know that I brought it out and explained it people will see that what I said is fai and if enough people read it . Thier is a chance that they will use a fair scratch system. I no a lot more but I wont bring it up. Just like in football. Te rules are horrable. And they make the wrong call. And in all games your rules should be correct and fair. Or how slse can the game be fair. Scratches are very important and they can get you out off a trapp were you cannot do anyting too play safe from that position. But you have to no what you are doing.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
vapros said:
View attachment 1621

I'm in agreement with Artie's advice to always look after the cue ball, but I don't care for his response in this case. Sorry 'bout that. He mentions other shots, but as Larry asks, 'what other shots'? He says the intentional scratch is the worst shot because your opponent will put you right back in the same trap, but looky here:

If you execute your intentional scratch halfway well, the 2 ball will make it difficult to put you back where you came from, unless you get in the small window where he can do that. And the 2 ball also guarantees that you will not scratch.

If he does reply with an intentional, your move won't look so bad because you have each given up one ball. And besides, it's not likely that you will be in the exact same spot, and you can evaluate the table again for better options. You will be able to see things you can't see now. CD's original question was 'what would you do'? Please advise.

Looks to me like Efren is in trouble if he does not take the intentional, and I don't understand the shot he chose, either. I guess all this leaves me out in left field. Again. Sometimes the grass is greener out in left field and I never miss with Greenshot.
Your intentional scratch is way better then Eferines because you are changig the positions off the balls. Bot its very hard too control the cue ball exacly like in the picture. In the picture we never make a mistake. But on a pool table its another story and if you are shor you give him a fre bank to win the game. And if you come to far past te two ball he will shoot the six ball and put you on the end rail with the two balls in the same line witch still puts you in trouble. But your soot is way better ten Eferinens.I no what shot I would shoot.But IF you take a scratch why not soot te cue ball to the end rail and let him shoot the two ball and give him a angle were he can only make one ball and he cant play position. And if he misses he can sell out the game. But I would not shoot any off those shots and thier are reasons. But I sowed you a good position to put him in and you are forceing him to do something were he can make a mistake and loose if e goes for your shot. And if he shoots te two ball he can trap himself and lock himself up. One thing good about taking a intentional scratch thier are lots off places that you can put the cue ball. And you ave to figure out te best spot to put your opponent. And you want to put him in a position were he cant teap you again. BUt if you fool around wit it by youself on a pool table. You will be surprized what you can do and learn. THats wy onepocket is so interesting. And the more you learn to more you will like it. And you will be cravieng for more knowledge. And the more you learn te more you will be in love wiyh the game. Its time for me to go. I hope pool gives you all the joy and fun to make your life more exciting and interesting. You can loose all your money. But nobody can take your knowledge. Its ours FOREVER.