Elvis in Germany

Deeman

Verified Member
Matt_24 said:
Freddy,

Thank you for your service. Sounds like you had a lot of great adventures! My dad joined the Army around the same time as you -- and he is a huge Elvis fan as well. I remember he had a book on Elvis in the Army.

It is kind of funny. I've been in the Air Force for over 13 years and people asked me why I joined, and the truth is...because of pool.

I was about 17 and I knew a good player in our area who kind of took me under his wing a bit and showed me some stuff. He was always talking about his time in the Air Force, and how he travelled around and played a lot of different players. He brought me in a lot of photos from his time in service and told me I should think about doing a stint, just for the fun of it. He said that he regretted not making a career of it. So, I joined up....and I'm still here, over 13 years later.

Good thread!

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for your service as well! When I lived in Germany in the 90's the Billiard Club I played in was in a town north of Frankfurt where Elvis had a girlfriend. As I was from Memphis, they were convinced I had known Elvis (I did not) but they had his picture next to a table in our club they had jet since the 1950's only having changed the cloth and cushions since he played on it. It was the clubs pride and joy!

DeeMan

RedCard

Verified Member
Old Photo

Old Photo

I love old pictures. This one fell out of the Way Back Machine camera. The guy was on his way to take off some miners when he learned one pocket had not been invented yet. Upon getting the news he dismounted his mule and tapped his sled.

Attachments

• Satch.jpg
    Satch.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 0

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Last bit on EL

Last bit on EL

Last thing I know on Elvis, and I think I should say it. I met and talked to Elvis for a few moments in front of the PX at Grafenvehr. He was in a jeep. I got his autograph for my two younger sisters. I was embarrassed to ask for it and he was embarrassed to do it for me. What really amazed me about him was how stunningly good looking he was. He was also very slim. Apparently cameras add 20 or 30 pounds to your appearance. But what I really noticed were his hands and fingers. They were delicate, with long straight fingers like a concert piano player. He looked nothing like he did in the movies.

Oh yeah, when he went into the snack bar for a hamburger, the German girls who were working there rioted and attacked him like banshees. He was wearing a pancho without a name tag and thought he might go unrecognized. Never happened. The girls knew he was around somewhere and spotted him in an instant. Believe it or not, it was a dangerous encounter. They were looking to tear his hair out, or dig up pieces of his skin to keep. They chased him out to his jeep, and he needed much help to escape getting mauled.
It was then that I understood why he wouldnt go out in public for the rest of his life.
He had already stopped doing concerts soon after an appearance at the International Amphitheater in Chicago, before he went into the service. A neighborhood pal who was working as an usher at the event got knocked cold trying to stop the swarm of girls who rushed the stage. They were wiping their panties on the dirt floor of the stage that he had walked on. My friend, Big Anthony, Race Track Phil's cousin, got conked on the head by some girls purse. He made the evening news as they showed him getting carried out on a stretcher. Anthony was about 6'2 and weighed about 240. We guessed the girl must have had a bowling ball in her purse.

Beard

Last edited: