End Game Problem #1

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATS4BATl3CYna2PFFL3QcQu@[/CUETABLE]

You have pocket A with ball in hand. Both players need 2 balls. What do you do?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Tennessee Joe6 said:

Pocket the 3 ball and play position for the 2 ball bank. Or pocket the 3 ball and play position to bank the 2 ball.:D

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
???
???
(I suspect the setup for playing the rear ball up and down, or forcing the lead ball.)

100 percent of the time I shoot the hanger and shape the cross-corner rear ball.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Game conditions, who I'm playing, blah blah blah. I usually try to make the 3 ball and hit the balls on the spot. If you hit the wrong side you still get an easy bank, if you hit the right side you get an easy shot. If you miss'em you're stuck with a 2 railer.
Rod.

senor

Verified Member
androd said:
Game conditions, who I'm playing, blah blah blah. I usually try to make the 3 ball and hit the balls on the spot. If you hit the wrong side you still get an easy bank, if you hit the right side you get an easy shot. If you miss'em you're stuck with a 2 railer.
Rod.

I like it. And if you end up with the two railer, it's from an angle that it seems to be easier to make because the object ball doesn't stiff off the 2nd rail...
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATS4BATl3Ccpm4PQbx3QcQu4VATl3VarU4Vbiq3VXxm4kQbx4kCog3kObk3kakf1kYTO1kYTO1kaBS2uCdP@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ill try this on the table.ime i rarely disagree with rod since over time he has gained much wisdom:) but i think its easier to play shaoe for the cross corner bank than hit the balls and hope they spread favorably for you. just my humble opinion. rod after considering this would still hit it your way next time??

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
ill try this on the table.ime i rarely disagree with rod since over time he has gained much wisdom:) but i think its easier to play shaoe for the cross corner bank than hit the balls and hope they spread favorably for you. just my humble opinion. rod after considering this would still hit it your way next time??

Larry, it's not a hard shot. With the angle you won't stick to the bottom of the 2 ball. The trick is not too much english. There's only two balls, they will open if you hit them.
Rod.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
androd said:
Larry, it's not a hard shot. With the angle you won't stick to the bottom of the 2 ball. The trick is not too much english. There's only two balls, they will open if you hit them.
Rod.

Isn't this shot significantly riskier and no more potentially rewarding than the simple 2 ball bank?

pj <- fish out o' water
chgo

senor

Verified Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Isn't this shot significantly riskier and no more potentially rewarding than the simple 2 ball bank?

pj <- fish out o' water
chgo

For me, no. Not risky, the cue ball is not being set loose and it seems you're increasing your chances for something good happening. Playing shape for the bank, there is only one good thing that could happen, that being getting good on the 2 ball. Sure, not too difficult, but I think the logic behind the alternative is sound.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Tennessee Joe6 said:

Play shape for a bank on the 2.

senor

Verified Member
senor said:
For me, no. Not risky, the cue ball is not being set loose and it seems you're increasing your chances for something good happening. Playing shape for the bank, there is only one good thing that could happen, that being getting good on the 2 ball. Sure, not too difficult, but I think the logic behind the alternative is sound.

Another great thing about trying to break the balls out is that when the shot is executed successfully, it will likely get your opponent's nose wide open :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Rod.
rod you are among those whose comments i know come from being in the trenches. if you like it that way thats good enough for me:)
p,s. does your crown fit well???:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'm firmly in the playing for the bank on the 2ball next, camp....sorry, Texas boys...:), but your shot ain't no sure thing - trying to break up the 2 balls you could hit them and wind up with no shot, and also, you could miss them and wind up with a no-good angle for the twice-cross-corner....:cool:

- Ghosty

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
I'm firmly in the playing for the bank on the 2ball next, camp....sorry, Texas boys...:), but your shot ain't no sure thing - trying to break up the 2 balls you could hit them and wind up with no shot, and also, you could miss them and wind up with a no-good angle for the twice-cross-corner....:cool:

- Ghosty

I'm in the camp that says if you hit'em you will have a shot ! However you could miss the balls and if you shoot real hard you might wind up with no shot. It's just my opinion as I'd rather not bank if I have a choice.

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
I'm firmly in the playing for the bank on the 2ball next, camp....sorry, Texas boys...:), but your shot ain't no sure thing - trying to break up the 2 balls you could hit them and wind up with no shot, and also, you could miss them and wind up with a no-good angle for the twice-cross-corner....:cool: - Ghosty

That's okay, we aren't looking for the majority, just action:) And seems to me you reinforced the point. Nothing in the scenario is a sure thing. I'm confident we all have pretty good track records doing our own thing. And I'm just wondering, but can you quantify the chance of "no shot" if the two balls are successfully broken up? Check back manana.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Good Morning brothers Rod and Senor....:)...

androd said:
I'm in the camp that says if you hit'em you will have a shot !

:rolleyes:......Ghosty

senor said:
And I'm just wondering, but can you quantify the chance of "no shot" if the two balls are broken up? Check back manana.

At your service senor...:)...here's just a few examples for ya >>>

- Ghosty

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BATp3CYOY4EATX2PSoc4VATp4VTNy4YATX4YQkD2kSoc3kXQO3kUvp3kBJr3kAsc2kLKL@[/CUETABLE]

Wrong side of the balls...don't have a good, free, second shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BALq3CYWa4EALX2PSPc4VALq4VDmo4YALX4YAYn2kSPc3kXQT3kVUp3kATy4kHvY@[/CUETABLE]

Dead full hit on the 2...don't have a good, free, second shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BATo3CXxY4EATY2PTNc2kTNc3kWrS3kTpq4kcLG4kYIk@[/CUETABLE]

Didn't end up with too good of an angle for the Plan-B-2-railer, did we....:)

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATS4BATl3CYna1PCwX3QcQu1kCwX3kAkD3kakq3kVMl4kYDc4kXNX4uAhP@[/CUETABLE]

The reason I asked the question is that I found it very easy to break up the 1 and 2 balls and still make the 3 ball with a half ball hit. The next shot would be to make either the 1 or the 2, but I'm not sure if there is a good way to set up for the 1 or the 2.

Any comments?