Fiberglass (ok carbon fiber) shafts

treeMan

Verified Member
I've been non-playing for five to six years, and coming back watching matches, seeing big action and one pocket alive and well warms my heart.

But one thing is perplexing to me - what the f*ck happened in five years that every pro/top player out there is playing with a plastic shaft (🤣 ok ok carbon fiber)??

And if I get one will it increase my chances of winning a game at the MOT? /s/s (adding double sarcasms just in case)

Roast me if you will, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I had to ask.

(* edit to add /s/s)

Last edited:

beltsander bill

Verified Member
Do you have time to adjust to the new amount of squirt.. do you want to spend the time to adjust..carbine fiber is definitely less maintenance than wood.. how do you want to spend your time and money?

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
They get endorsed to use them. Some people really like them though, but others are meh.
The trick with that is just having time and opportunity to find out for yourself.
As with any part of your equipment, try to find what works best for you.

- got to play with a Bobby Hunter cue the other day. Such a nice hit - clearly solid, responsive, almost speaks to you (and I like what I've been using).

I want to give CF a fair try and would be perfectly willing to go that way if it reduced my time over the ball calculations - deflection/swerve, in a natural or confident/responsive way.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I've been non-playing for five to six years, and coming back watching matches, seeing big action and one pocket alive and well warms my heart.

But one thing is perplexing to me - what the f*ck happened in five years that every pro/top player out there is playing with a plastic shaft (🤣 ok ok carbon fiber)??

And if I get one will it increase my chances of winning a game at the MOT? /s/s (adding double sarcasms just in case)

Roast me if you will, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I had to ask.

(* edit to add /s/s)
I bought a Revo because someone I knew had had one custom made to fit the 5/16 x 14 joint I have on my Jensen cue, and he didn't like it, and he offered it me for less than the rack rate, so I thought what the hell give it a try and sell it if I don't like it. I was prepared to not like it because I like wood and my shafts are old with ivory ferrules and I liked the feel of them, I liked the idea of them, and I didn't really like the idea of CF. So I gave myself a few hours to experiment with it. At first, I couldn't make a ball, but within an hour or so I had my aiming dialed in with it, and I started to get why a low deflection shaft can be an improvement. By the end of the day, I was hooked and have been using it ever since.

Be careful. You might never go back to wood!

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I started to get why a low deflection shaft can be an improvement.
Michael, what did it 'feel' like?
Honestly, I don't know - can you feel a difference in hit?
Yes, I'll try CF one day - purposefully. Where I can prove to myself that pocketing and control are still there. And, yes, that feedback.
Jason Williams has played with a cue that has a distinct 'ting' sound to it forever (now?) - you could hear it 7 or 8 times in a row sometimes.
-ugh :)

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Michael, what did it 'feel' like?
Honestly, I don't know - can you feel a difference in hit?
Yes, I'll try CF one day - purposefully. Where I can prove to myself that pocketing and control are still there. And, yes, that feedback.
Jason Williams has played with a cue that has a distinct 'ting' sound to it forever (now?) - you could hear it 7 or 8 times in a row sometimes.
-ugh :)
To me, now, three years later, it feels normal, solid, controlled. I guess it still pings a little but I don't hear it anymore.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I bought a Revo because someone I knew had had one custom made to fit the 5/16 x 14 joint I have on my Jensen cue, and he didn't like it, and he offered it me for less than the rack rate, so I thought what the hell give it a try and sell it if I don't like it. I was prepared to not like it because I like wood and my shafts are old with ivory ferrules and I liked the feel of them, I liked the idea of them, and I didn't really like the idea of CF. So I gave myself a few hours to experiment with it. At first, I couldn't make a ball, but within an hour or so I had my aiming dialed in with it, and I started to get why a low deflection shaft can be an improvement. By the end of the day, I was hooked and have been using it ever since.

Be careful. You might never go back to wood!
I won my first 1P tournament three months after getting my Revo. Is it better than the 314 shaft or any wood shaft? Yes it is, it doesn’t dent🤣

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
So with a CF shaft you don't have to account for CB squirt/swerve? If you are applying a lot of left or right spin, then you don't have to aim as close to or as far away from the OB like you do with wood? Isn't that called deflection?

I've never tried one, but if that's the secret to these straight shooter's success, I may have to try it one day lol.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
my 3 cents worth
whenever new technology hits a sport
the old guard will protect what they know best
carbon fiber shafts are better than wood in lower deflection...better energy trasnsfer (imo not sure its proven...could be)/they dont warp or ding easily
they dont have the same feel as wood and some masse type shots are easier with wood
the toughest thing for some with lots of playing time with wood shafts is learning how to aim with spin since your brain is telling you
I CANT AIM THERE WITH SPIN AND MAKE THE BALL
and then you make the ball by aiming real close to where you would aim with no spin....:)
evolution is a natural process
carbon fiber shafts are the new wave
jmho
icbw
edit
after skimming thru dr dave's material
another to me BIG advantage of low deflection shafts
is when you hit with alittle unintentional sidespin (a problem i have )
the cue ball does not go off course (deflect) nearly as much as it would with wood

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
So with a CF shaft you don't have to account for CB squirt/swerve? If you are applying a lot of left or right spin, then you don't have to aim as close to or as far away from the OB like you do with wood? Isn't that called deflection?

I've never tried one, but if that's the secret to these straight shooter's success, I may have to try it one day lol.
chris
the path of the cue ball off straight ahead when hit off center technically is squirt although it is commonly call deflection
which i know is confusing
swerve is the curve back towards that straight ahead line (or past it) after the spin is applies and as the cue ball travels on the cloth
not sure if less squirt =less swerve
to answer your question .....you don't have to aim as close to or as far away from the OB like you do with wood?
correct ...you aim much closer to your aim with no spin
here is what dr dave says about it

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hmm, that's cheating then. :)

I want to see these top pros (who play with CF shafts) play the real game of pool with wooden shafts so they have to compensate and use their decades of experience on how much to do so.

I'm kind of kidding but kind of not. I mean what's next? AI aimbot cue that makes every shot and you just have to control speed of the balls? Bleh...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

I want to see these top pros (who play with CF shafts) play the real game of pool with wooden shafts so they have to compensate and use their decades of experience on how much to do so.

I'm kind of kidding but kind of not. I mean what's next? AI aimbot cue that makes every shot and you just have to control speed of the balls? Bleh...
i know/hope you are at least alittle bit kidding/being sarcastic
everyone that plays pool knows how hard it is to hit the cue ball where you want to and have the correct timing and force to make it stop where you want to
that skill is what separates the the greats from the not so great
all of us can learn to adjust to the equipment we have
but those guys will always do it better with whatever you give them
jmho
icbw
btw
i forgot to link dr dave's stuff in post #11
so i edited it and put it in if you want to check it out

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
One thing that low deflection shafts are good for (CF or otherwise) is when you play in new cloth, new balls conditions like the pros do. Because the lack friction you get less swerve that often compensates for the initial deflection. LD shafts minimizes the deflection part so the swerve is not needed as much.

Older cloth/balls will still swerve so you would need to adjust your initial aim point and that's where it gets confusing after playing with standard shafts all your life.

Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One thing that low deflection shafts are good for (CF or otherwise) is when you play in new cloth, new balls conditions like the pros do. Because the lack friction you get less swerve that often compensates for the initial deflection. LD shafts minimizes the deflection part so the swerve is not needed as much.

Older cloth/balls will still swerve so you would need to adjust your initial aim point and that's where it gets confusing after playing with standard shafts all your life.
dave you are correct
that is the hurdle that experienced players have to conquer

treeMan

Verified Member
Thanks guys for the feedback. I like LD shafts, I play with a 314 (I think, the old kind they don’t make anymore) and would never go back. CF looks like crap but I’ll try it out when I get the chance.

melmackay

Thanks guys for the feedback. I like LD shafts, I play with a 314 (I think, the old kind they don’t make anymore) and would never go back. CF looks like crap but I’ll try it out when I get the chance.
I also use a carbon fiber shaft, made by Kenny Koo which I like very much, I play with a Cognoscenti cue, I’ve had for some time

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH

Aimbot cue is already in every pool video game yet I still miss. How sad is that?