First Deep Blue, now Deep Green

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Apparently some robotics scientists have decided to take on the pool world by developing a true pool playing robot -- not like Iron Willie, but a robot that can read the table, select a shot and then execute it on an actual table. It took years for them to improve chess-playing computers to the point that they could beat a chess master, and I would say chess lends itself much more to computer talent than pool does. I think they have their hands full.

http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/08/06/2224253.shtml

A lot of the scientists seem to think pool is a simple game of "potting" shots, but one savvy poster mentioned One Pocket :) , and several have pointed out that there is a lot of strategy in pool, not just shotmaking. Of course all us pool players know that you can play smart and still get squashed by a great shotmaker -- even in One Pocket!!

The thing with chess is, all they have to do is strategize the move -- with pool they'll have to both strategize and execute -- that's at least double the challenge IMHO. Of course both robotics and computers have come a hell of a long way since the original chess/computer challenge began years ago.

Are you ready for a challenge match between Deep Green and -- for example -- Efren, playing One Pocket? They say give them about 5 years -- think there would be a little side action on that game?? :) :)

youngstown

Verified Member
First Deep Blue, now Deep Green

Gotta keep one support pole on the floor!

El Chapo

Verified Member
I don't think it will play good anytime in the near future. Shooting a ball in at different speeds and with different amounts of top or bottom left or right just has too many variables. I bet it would be a horrendous banker too, no matter what.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
I don't think it will play good anytime in the near future. Shooting a ball in at different speeds and with different amounts of top or bottom left or right just has too many variables. I bet it would be a horrendous banker too, no matter what.

I'll play this hunk of tin some banks 25 ahead for. 100k-- now who's got my back?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Posted by michael on Saturday August 07, 2004 @05:06AM from the bank-shot de

Posted by michael on Saturday August 07, 2004 @05:06AM from the bank-shot de

Since this was 13 years ago, they must of realized a few more decades of chalking up are needed....:p
Feels like someone has been dipping into their meds a little too much. :D

unoperro

Verified Member
Since this was 13 years ago, they must of realized a few more decades of chalking up are needed....:p
Feels like someone has been dipping into their meds a little too much. :D

Searched for "robot" as in I Robot, this came up. Since it was from 04, thought there may be new info.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Apparently some robotics scientists have decided to take on the pool world by developing a true pool playing robot -- not like Iron Willie, but a robot that can read the table, select a shot and then execute it on an actual table. It took years for them to improve chess-playing computers to the point that they could beat a chess master, and I would say chess lends itself much more to computer talent than pool does. I think they have their hands full.

http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/08/06/2224253.shtml

A lot of the scientists seem to think pool is a simple game of "potting" shots, but one savvy poster mentioned One Pocket :) , and several have pointed out that there is a lot of strategy in pool, not just shotmaking. Of course all us pool players know that you can play smart and still get squashed by a great shotmaker -- even in One Pocket!!

The thing with chess is, all they have to do is strategize the move -- with pool they'll have to both strategize and execute -- that's at least double the challenge IMHO. Of course both robotics and computers have come a hell of a long way since the original chess/computer challenge began years ago.

Are you ready for a challenge match between Deep Green and -- for example -- Efren, playing One Pocket? They say give them about 5 years -- think there would be a little side action on that game?? :) :)

For the chess computers to beat the top players they still need several human grandmasters to help it.

RedCard

Verified Member
Bumping this up:rolleyes: Anything ever become of this robot?

He got caught dumping his backer/mechanic. So ... he fixed him up with a girl bot who gave him the rust. Penicillin can't touch it, neither can WD-40.

unoperro

Verified Member
He got caught dumping his backer/mechanic. So ... he fixed him up with a girl bot who gave him the rust. Penicillin can't touch it, neither can WD-40.

Well what do you expect from a machine with "no heart and artificial intelligence"?