Flying with your cue

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
I'm wondering what most people here do with their cue when they travel to a tournament via plane. Do you put it in your checked bag or do you send it via Fedex or UPS? And if you send it rather than check it, where do you send it: the hotel, a local Fedex place, etc? If the value of the cue matters, maybe we could consider one scenario where the cue is < $1000 and another scenario where the cue is > $1000. Looking forward to all your responses once you all wake up from your turkey-induced comas...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
twister said:
I'm wondering what most people here do with their cue when they travel to a tournament via plane. Do you put it in your checked bag or do you send it via Fedex or UPS? And if you send it rather than check it, where do you send it: the hotel, a local Fedex place, etc? If the value of the cue matters, maybe we could consider one scenario where the cue is < $1000 and another scenario where the cue is > $1000. Looking forward to all your responses once you all wake up from your turkey-induced comas...
I have a big bag that I check that holds clothes and also fits my whole cue case inside, packed in among the clothes. But I don't like doing that with my favorite cue -- I always worry. I believe you can insure for more money if you go by Fed Ex, than just in your baggage (because the airlines may have limits on claims). I have had stuff shipped to the hotel directly before. That has worked for me. The Executive West had their own shipping/receiving desk, if you call the Horseshoe maybe they do too.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Fed-X to the nearest Fed-X office is the best plan. Brinks if your moving a collection.

comming home from the US Open this year, they opened one of my 2 suit cases and stole my laptop, thank God they didnt take my cue, I'd be in jail forsure. I'm done with the sweat of the baggage ordeal.

beatle

Verified Member
have a second less expensive cue that you like and wont miss so much if it gets stolen. why go through all the aggravation and worry.

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Yeah, I think I'm going to look at sending it via Fedex as while I don't have an expensive cue, I would not be too happy if someone stole the one I have now. I've flown to Europe quite a few times, usually through Paris, and I remember when they used to hand check all your CHECKED bags. They would do it right there in front of you, so you could just lock it after that. That would be the ideal situation if you were carrying a cue.

So, for those of you who have sent your cue via Fedex, do you insure it for the full value, partial value, or do you just let it go with the standard coverage as it will be in a hard case and should be requiring a signature? I've always worried about insuring a really expensive item in the mail as it seems like it would put a big red flag on it that read "STEAL ME."