Fodder for the cannon, or water pistol?

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
banks

banks

Freddie,just read it,good stuff.One question.In the middle 80's Bushwacker[Gary N] had a road partner who's name was Tony something,I can't remember his last name.Supposed to be a good banker.Do you know who I mean?Just curious thats all,cheers,Bob

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
If you want to see a real "brag rant," check out my post on AZ where I had to defend myself against brother Jay Helferts banking snub in the banking thread, Jay Helfert re: Gary Spaeth.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=191916

the Beard

This should provide feed for that guy, that worries about such things, for a month.

Looks like Jay is going to be a Dick 2 (funny huh):D

You'd better beat him bad quick, because he's rubbing his 1-0 record on you in your face:)

That's a great thread though... nice to hear from a backer of Gary in there, Sherm. That would be real cool, if we could hear more from the backers of these great players, as I'm sure they have some really good stories to tell, being on the inside of the matches.

I love reading all those stories. Keep them up Freddy and all of you, Dick 1 and Dick 2, too.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I recently watched a 1992 one-pocket match between Gary Spaeth and Cecil Tugwell, and was amazed at some of the banks Spaeth knocked down - making them look easy. I had heard his name, but never heard anyone say what a fine player he was. Fun to watch, and then a good interview. :D

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
vapros said:
I recently watched a 1992 one-pocket match between Gary Spaeth and Cecil Tugwell, and was amazed at some of the banks Spaeth knocked down - making them look easy. I had heard his name, but never heard anyone say what a fine player he was. Fun to watch, and then a good interview. :D
I would like to see that match. Is it on line or on a video that you have? Where can I find it? Spaeth was one of my favorites. Not so much Cecil.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Need more info

Need more info

usblues said:
Freddie,just read it,good stuff.One question.In the middle 80's Bushwacker[Gary N] had a road partner who's name was Tony something,I can't remember his last name.Supposed to be a good banker.Do you know who I mean?Just curious thats all,cheers,Bob

While I was around the Bushwacker a little in Detroit, I dont think we ever played. His specialty was the bar tables. Tony Coleman from Benton Harbor MI, or One-eyed Tony Howard from Corbin Ky?

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
not sure.....

not sure.....

......but whichever one he liked playing banks because I heard him try and talk Dallas West into a game of long-banks I think it was and Dallas wouldnt play him.After Tony got off the elevator I heard Dallas say to his friend "You have to be crazy to play a man's game."This was 83-4......Varner beat Bush in the finals.......

jay helfert

Verified Member
You're talking about Tony Coleman here. A very good banker in his day. If you read that thread closely you will see I compliment Freddie highly on his Bank Pool knowledge and great books and DVD's. By far the best stuff of its kind out there. Just because I don't rate him up there with the best bankers doesn't mean I'm right and he's wrong. I may not have seen him on his best day. No question Freddie was known for his Bank Pool game back then. He was considered a good player by his peers at the time. I just happen to think there were a few guys who may have played a hair better than his royal beardness! Don't hate on me for that.

I don't think Freddie really minds a little controversy as long as he's involved and you spell his name right. :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tony "Banks" Coleman

Tony "Banks" Coleman

jay helfert said:
You're talking about Tony Coleman here. A very good banker in his day. If you read that thread closely you will see I compliment Freddie highly on his Bank Pool knowledge and great books and DVD's. By far the best stuff of its kind out there. Just because I don't rate him up there with the best bankers doesn't mean I'm right and he's wrong. I may not have seen him on his best day. No question Freddie was known for his Bank Pool game back then. He was considered a good player by his peers at the time. I just happen to think there were a few guys who may have played a hair better than his royal beardness! Don't hate on me for that.

I don't think Freddie really minds a little controversy as long as he's involved and you spell his name right. :)

Jay, I like that you spell my name right. Let me tickle your pool Alzheimer's brain a little. (Pool Alzheimer's, of which I am also afflicted, is that you forget everything but your wins. All the losers evaporate.) Danny Medina's clobbering of me for $500 a game is clear as a bell in your memory. Not so clear, the slaughter I put on Keith McCready at St Charles, Il with you, a willing participant on the wrong side. That match somehow never made it into your fine book, Pool Wars.

Re Tony Banks Coleman, his last outing with me (about 20 yrs ago), resulted in a 12 game battering with the commensurate last game air barrel. He still aint paid it off, but he did sign an endorsement later. (see attached)

As long as I am at it, I am including the evidence of another claim I made re where Efren learned 1pkt. (Around here you must have evidence because there is a constant Police presence looking out for others -- or so they think-- much like our govt.)

Somehow, years ago I had the foresight to collect this stuff in the event that memories would fade and challenges would erupt.

the Beard

Attachments

• tony banks plug (365 x 600).jpg
    tony banks plug (365 x 600).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • efren plug (459 x 600).jpg
    efren plug (459 x 600).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cliff bank plug (600 x 447).jpg
    cliff bank plug (600 x 447).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Jay, I like that you spell my name right. Let me tickle your pool Alzheimer's brain a little. (Pool Alzheimer's, of which I am also afflicted, is that you forget everything but your wins. All the losers evaporate.) Danny Medina's clobbering of me for $500 a game is clear as a bell in your memory. Not so clear, the slaughter I put on Keith McCready at St Charles, Il with you, a willing participant on the wrong side. That match somehow never made it into your fine book, Pool Wars.

Re Tony Banks Coleman, his last outing with me (about 20 yrs ago), resulted in a 12 game battering with the commensurate last game air barrel. He still aint paid it off, but he did sign an endorsement later. (see attached)

As long as I am at it, I am including the evidence of another claim I made re where Efren learned 1pkt. (Around here you must have evidence because there is a constant Police presence looking out for others -- or so they think-- much like our govt.)

Somehow, years ago I had the foresight to collect this stuff in the event that memories would fade and challenges would erupt.

the Beard

Sorry Fred, the "Pool Police" will need more concrete evidence, than a few hastily scrawled autographs on a napkin. Sincerety escapes people, when asked for an autograph...they are flattered..:p

Example;

"Dick, To a great guy, Love you lke a brother, glad to have spent the last 4 years with you. Your friend Eddie".

This is an excerpt (autograph) from my High School year book... Eddie Phillips and I hated each others guts, and fought each other on sight, all through school. (I will however admit,...I NEVER kicked his ass 12 times in a row)...jes' sayin'...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tony "Banks" Coleman

Tony "Banks" Coleman

For USBlues,
I dug up an old pic of Tony Coleman at Derby City in 2005. Is this the guy you were talking about?

Beard

Like the Arizona Cop says, it is very easy to get top pool players to admit and then write it down for posterity that other players are better than them. Everybody knows pool players are lacking (sic) in the ego dept. Take the Arizona Cop for example. Has he documented a single loser from 1960 on, without having an air tight alibi for it yet?

Efren repeats that particular quote in Pool and Billiard magazine by the way.

Attachments

• tony banks (600 x 399).jpg
    tony banks (600 x 399).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
For USBlues,
I dug up an old pic of Tony Coleman at Derby City in 2005. Is this the guy you were talking about?

Beard

Like the Arizona Cop says, it is very easy to get top pool players to admit and then write it down for posterity that other players are better than them. Everybody knows pool players are lacking (sic) in the ego dept. Take the Arizona Cop for example. Has he documented a single loser from 1960 on, without having an air tight alibi for it yet?

Efren repeats that particular quote in Pool and Billiard magazine by the way.

I will need to see your drivers license, and proof of citizenship. AB and Efren vouching for you, will NOT be acceptable. Also, please furnish link to BD, where Efren lied in print..:eek:

Arizona Duck Cop <---Thinks it may ranklle Fred, that the Duck has not booked a single loser since 1960 ?. :p

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Gracious Frederico.....

Gracious Frederico.....

.......27 years later I got the answer.I appreciate it and I would be honored if you billed me as I have more burning questions and information is always at a premium in pool halls and publishing offices.Cheers,Bob

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You know the man well

You know the man well

androd said:
Fred, Was this before or after the "Bite":p LOL
Rod.

This may be the hardest thing to believe of everything that I have ever said, but here goes, Cliff owes me ZERO! I have successfully dodged every effort. Dont forget, I hung with Jersey Red, Pancho, CornBread, Whitey and Peter Rabbit. The key is to go on the offensive with serious bite attempts yourself. Also, never flash the bankroll. Know the sequence of every bill so you can go in your pocket and retrieve any amount without exposing the roll to the air. Be very careful as to who is listening when you are talking about booking a winner. Always have a, "I just blew everything at the crap table/race track/poker table/side bet, etc," line, instantly available. Compared to Peter Rabbit and CornBread, Cliff is easy.

Beard

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
fred bentivegna said:
This may be the hardest thing to believe of everything that I have ever said, but here goes, Cliff owes me ZERO! I have successfully dodged every effort. Dont forget, I hung with Jersey Red, Pancho, CornBread, Whitey and Peter Rabbit. The key is to go on the offensive with serious bite attempts yourself. Also, never flash the bankroll. Know the sequence of every bill so you can go in your pocket and retrieve any amount without exposing the roll to the air. Be very careful as to who is listening when you are talking about booking a winner. Always have a, "I just blew everything at the crap table/race track/poker table/side bet, etc," line, instantly available. Compared to Peter Rabbit and CornBread, Cliff is easy.

Beard

Androd beat me to it! That's exactly what I was thinking also. :D

Fred, just for the record, how DO you wish us to spell your first name..."Freddy"....or "Freddie" I used to address you in the "ie" version but then noticed others were using the "y" version so I figured I had mis-spelled your moniker. Now that Jay posted about correct spellling, what IS the proper way to add extra vowells to "Fred"?

Also, your short "treatise" on avoiding the bite will be copied and folded up in my wallet for me to periodically review. I have some family members who work like seasonal migrant fruit pickers and wonder why they're always broke.
Your words of wisdom will no doubt come in handy at family functions and especially as any holidays approach!

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lately it's "ddy"

Lately it's "ddy"

Terry Ardeno said:
Androd beat me to it! That's exactly what I was thinking also. :D

Fred, just for the record, how DO you wish us to spell your first name..."Freddy"....or "Freddie" I used to address you in the "ie" version but then noticed others were using the "y" version so I figured I had mis-spelled your moniker. Now that Jay posted about correct spellling, what IS the proper way to add extra vowells to "Fred"?

Also, your short "treatise" on avoiding the bite will be copied and folded up in my wallet for me to periodically review. I have some family members who work like seasonal migrant fruit pickers and wonder why they're always broke.
Your words of wisdom will no doubt come in handy at family functions and especially as any holidays approach!

I never spelled it officially either way, but in my dotage I have sorta stayed with Fre.....ddy. That advice to duck the bite should have its own page on Kilroy's Rules of the Road.

Beard