Fouls

walrus1

Does anyone play move two balls a foul, three balls, loss of game? Where did this come about?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Does anyone play move two balls a foul, three balls, loss of game? Where did this come about?
This was a suggestion when Steve put up his initial draft of the new Official Rules for review.
We have noted the suggestion, and as of now we are still working on the Official Rules.

But no, what you have posted is not a rule, but noted as well as the other suggestions.
thanks, Whitey

Upvote 0

walrus1

This was a suggestion when Steve put up his initial draft of the new Official Rules for review.
We have noted the suggestion, and as of now we are still working on the Official Rules.

But no, what you have posted is not a rule, but noted as well as the other suggestions.
thanks, Whitey
Thanks for the reply, where I play, there seems to be an argument every week, over this interpretation of rules. BCA says cue ball fouls only. Lee

Upvote 0

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Thanks for the reply, where I play, there seems to be an argument every week, over this interpretation of rules. BCA says cue ball fouls only. Lee
I think you meant the BCAPL. The BCA is very, very different from the BCAPL. The BCA is primarily an organization of manufacturers and is also the North American member of the WPA. The BCAPL is part of CSI, and uses the CSI rules. Those rules have a fairly extensive discussion of "cue ball fouls only". It is very important to note that "CBFO" is a misnomer. That way of playing should be called, "one accidental, inconsequential touch is condoned, but anything more is forbidden".

Here are the CSI rules: https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

Upvote 0

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The suggestion amounted to stretching over the stack with the bridge and accidently dropping the bridge and moving several balls.

But, I have reviewed BCA/WPA rules in regards to restoration and cue ball foul only, and yes I can see where there is an argument every week.
In study these rules it becomes very apparent that they are strictly wrote for their tournaments and for their trained referee's interpretation. Which means that us, as players, do have a harder time realizing just what the intent of the rule is. So I am not overly surprised that there are arguments weekly.
thanks again, Whitey

Upvote 0

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks to everyone for the information.
Well to conclude the current rulings; Cue ball foul only means that anytime the cue ball is disturbed it is a foul, but to disturb a 'single' object ball is not a foul unless there is an effect upon the shot. If two balls are disturbed then it is a foul whether there is an effect upon the shot or not. A single object ball disturbed is allowed to be restored by the opponent. But WPA has it, as my research finds, that two balls or more balls disturbed is not allowed to be restored unless it is caused by outside interference.

Note; be careful as the shooter to not restore the disturbed object ball without getting permission from the opponent, for it will be a foul. For this is not clearly specified in WPA rules. As I stated their rules are wrote for their tournaments and their referees, so the intent is there but hard to decipher.

So the above, plus the members comment about accidently disturbing more balls, is what the rule committee has to work with, although we are not strictly bound by others rules.

For instance; if I execute a shot and I disturb two balls and there is no effect upon the shot, but now those two balls that were once playable into the opponent's pocket are now screwed up and non playable into the opponent's pocket.
Note: WPA does not allow those balls to be restored.
Whitey

Last edited:
Upvote 0