"Four Ball" Rule

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I've played many good players and rarely or never taken a foul behind them if they were spotting me.
I think force is a misnomer.

Playing reasonably cheap I never take a foul when spotting weaker players as I think it's chickenspit to do so. Better players that do it to me get to shoot a straight in from the end rail if possible. Yes those players must play 3 fouls in a row, It's never come up.
Rod.
P.S. Cliff was the best at taking fouls. He often went to the end rail, looked it over, sat the chalk down where he wanted the CB and lagged it there. :eek:
I soon began to pick the chalk up before he shot. :)

Sounds like you have your own way of limiting the intentional fouls taken by better players against you. The example you use of lagging to the end rail, however, is not the type of intentional I am referring to when I use the word "force".

I am talking about intentionals taken when you have your opponent frozen behind the stack, and both of you have balls by your holes, and he touches the CB without moving it. You now have a choice of taking the same kind of foul or attempting to play a legal safety and maybe selling out.

I realize that intentionals cannot be completely banned, but they can be limited by increasing the penalty for all fouls. I agree with you that taking numerous intentionals is chickenshit, and I don't understand why so many want to defend the practice.:frus

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Maybe we're talking to guys who mostly give weight. :D

Maybe so, John.

Apparently, for the three "wise men" of one pocket it is enough to make proclamations of "perfection" and ignore questions from the unwashed.

Bad form in my book.
:D:D:D