gray /svb

onepockethacker

Verified Member
And once again you have showed me your inability to hustle and make a game.:lol Pretty weak proposal, really, don't you think? Don't answer that.:frus

Dr. Bill < practicing hard

Its actually a great proposal if you can MOVE even half as good as you THINK you can. Im not trying to hustle you(I did that at derby) I just got a little tired of hearing how GREAT you move. Once again Billy take a look at what shot Joey shot? MINE not yours....hmmmm wonder why?

Skin

Verified Member
Gray needs to 3-rail the 12 back down and break up those two stripes by his hole, leaving SVB on the upper part of the long rail on SVB's side. Good luck, but that is what he needs to do. :)

Skin

Well, my shot choice got no traction in this thread. Maybe because nobody thought the angle was there the get the 12 down 3 rails to nudge those two stripes by Gray's hole loose. I have my doubts about that, too. But if the shot is playable it solves a couple of problems.

1) it opens up Gray's hole and ought to leave three makeable balls close with SVB way up in no man's land. It will be tough for SVB to clear the hole from there and if he tries something with those balls he has few options for a leave unless he slow rolls the cb.

2) it leaves the 2 and 7 in place where they are blocking the banking lane off Gray's long rail to SVB's hole. This, imo, is a big deal right now. Besides, the 2 already goes to Gray's hole and should be considered a good ball. Once it is gotten, the lane is open for the 7.

In my estimation, Gray has to create multiple threats here without giving SVB much of a good chance to neutralize all of them. The carom shots into the 2 or behind the 7 are simply too weak or too riskiy for the situation in my opinion. Gray has to get aggressive, but he must control his shot. If my shot is playable, I still think it is the way to go.

Of course, we know now that Gray tried exactly a carom into the 2 and it pretty much blew up. SVB has nothing to worry about from there.

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
skin
the commentators in the booth didnt think he had the angle to get far enough past the side pocket to do your shot.
in going back to the dvd heres 2 more views of joel before the shot
this may change peoples shot selections since now there is a dufferent view of the angles
i hope all realize we base our choices on how we see whats there
being at the table is different
gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

onepockethacker

Verified Member
skin
the commentators in the booth didnt think he had the angle to get far enough past the side pocket to do your shot.
this may change peoples shot selections since now there is a dufferent view of the angles
View attachment 7079

View attachment 7080

Maybe these 2 pics will CLARIFY what Joey is looking at and thinking. at 26:35 he is looking at the angle for banking the 12 ball and then at 26:42 he is looking at where that angle will carom the 2 ball. He needed to hit the shot a little harder and a hair fuller thats it. Joey's strength is his moving and decision making. I wonder why Joey didn't shoot the other shots? hmmm.
3 railing the 12 ball wasn't an option the angle wasn't there.

Skin

Verified Member
skin

Thanks, Larry.

Hey Dick! Are you still sitting on that mastodon hide in the "I need to be at the table to tell" cave?

Scoot over. :)

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Maybe these 2 pics will CLARIFY what Joey is looking at and thinking. at 26:35 he is looking at the angle for banking the 12 ball (He's not even in the right position to evaluate the hit on the 12ball, :sorry) and then at 26:42 he is looking at where that angle will carom the 2 ball. ( That is correct. He's clearly looking at the carom into the 2ball to determine where he needs to hit, and also he's feeling the speed of the shot, based off of the angle) He needed to hit the shot a little harder and a hair fuller thats it. ( you're wrong about that. He played a controlled shot, he wasn't banking the 12ball. The speed of the shot you're trying to promote is a sell out speed Joey wasn't going to throw his money in the air with that shot) Joey's strength is his moving and decision making. I wonder why Joey didn't shoot the other shots? hmmm.
3 railing the 12 ball wasn't an option the angle wasn't there.

You seem to like to challenge everything I say, allow me to explain what Gray was thinking and why he shot the shot he shot. He never was thinking about banking the 12ball, like I said before, that shot is too reckless of a shot. You say he didn't hit it hard enough, I say he hit it with the speed that he intended to hit it with. By over cutting the 12ball the cue ball will then hit less of the 2ball and should pick up speed. However, as you can see the cue ball ended up near the top rail, which indicates to me, and anyone that understands pool that he played a controlled shot. He only played the carom into the 2ball, with the speed to control the cue ball. That option isn't a bad option at all, but playing all out to bank the 12ball and play the 2ball carom is a bad option for obvious reasons.

From the angle that we now can see from post #43 it's understandable why Gray chose the carom as an option. Before this angle was available to see, it was a guess what angle he actually had. And now after we have seen the angle and the results of his shot how you can say that he tried to bank the 12ball is rediculous.:frus And then say that he hit it too easy.:lol

You play a good game of one pocket and move well, but you think you play and move about 10/7 over the way you actually play. I know how well I manage at the table, I have been playing the world's best players for over 50 years and have learned a lot during that time. Personally, my decision making at the table is good enough for me to be competitive against the best players in the world, at age 68. Like John H. says's "One day you won't be the big dog, you'll be the old dog" When that day comes for you, just remember "Dr. Bill"

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well, my shot choice got no traction in this thread. Maybe because nobody thought the angle was there the get the 12 down 3 rails to nudge those two stripes by Gray's hole loose. I have my doubts about that, too. But if the shot is playable it solves a couple of problems.

1) it opens up Gray's hole and ought to leave three makeable balls close with SVB way up in no man's land. It will be tough for SVB to clear the hole from there and if he tries something with those balls he has few options for a leave unless he slow rolls the cb.

2) it leaves the 2 and 7 in place where they are blocking the banking lane off Gray's long rail to SVB's hole. This, imo, is a big deal right now. Besides, the 2 already goes to Gray's hole and should be considered a good ball. Once it is gotten, the lane is open for the 7.

In my estimation, Gray has to create multiple threats here without giving SVB much of a good chance to neutralize all of them. The carom shots into the 2 or behind the 7 are simply too weak or too riskiy for the situation in my opinion. Gray has to get aggressive, but he must control his shot. If my shot is playable, I still think it is the way to go.

Of course, we know now that Gray tried exactly a carom into the 2 and it pretty much blew up. SVB has nothing to worry about from there.

Skin

I agree with just about everything you just said, except that he didn't need to get aggressive, as you mentioned. There are enough balls in play for Gray to have played a solid safety, and then possibly get more aggressive the next time at the table. In reference to your shot with the 12ball, yes that would be a very viable option if the angle was there, but it wasn't. With that shot you could do some damage, and at the same time play a good cue ball.

Upper echelon players are always a threat to run balls, especially when balls are in play. No reason to give up a strong position and play recklessly from positions like this one. Especially when there are other "good options" I have lost, and have seen many players lose games from similar positions just by their opponents playing solidly.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I agree with just about everything you just said, except that he didn't need to get aggressive, as you mentioned. There are enough balls in play for Gray to have played a solid safety, and then possibly get more aggressive the next time at the table. In reference to your shot with the 12ball, yes that would be a very viable option if the angle was there, but it wasn't. With that shot you could do some damage, and at the same time play a good cue ball.

Upper echelon players are always a threat to run balls, especially when balls are in play. No reason to give up a strong position and play recklessly from positions like this one. Especially when there are other "good options" I have lost, and have seen many players lose games from similar positions just by their opponents playing solidly.

Dr. Bill

Its amazing that Joey got that far in the tournament without you just imagine if Joey would have had you coaching him Billy:rolleyes: :sorry :lol
Billy you are acting like your safe shot is some extravagant trap. It would have been a SIMPLE escape for Shane.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Its amazing that Joey got that far in the tournament without you just imagine if Joey would have had you coaching him Billy:rolleyes: :sorry :lol
Billy you are acting like your safe shot is some extravagant trap. It would have been a SIMPLE escape for Shane.

You gotta know when to "hold em" and know when to "fold em" Playing one pocket you got to know when to "hold em" and when to "roll em" And you also must remember, that there's no 4th. down playing one pocket.:D:p

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You gotta know when to "hold em" and know when to "fold em" Playing one pocket you got to know when to "hold em" and when to "roll em" And you also must remember, that there's no 4th. down playing one pocket.:D:p

Dr. Bill

Your the best mover in the country Billy..no doubt about it. You have changed my mind and I was wrong. I would really like some more moving lessons. Please let me know if you would ever like to play some high dollar 1 ball one pocket. I wont have to practice for that game. Just think of all the experience I will get from you:rolleyes: By the way the last time we played how did your moving doing for you? The only games you won is when you shot at complete flyers and made them LMFAO

P.S. its a good thing our 2nd match wasn't on the T.V. table.... you would have lost your job LOL LOL

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Moving is in the eye of the beholder. When I was at Sandcastle billiards several weeks ago I had Dr. Bill and Danny D giving me advice on what shots to shoot. It was a great time. I would have to say that on about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shots they had different opinions on what shot to shoot. It's probable the same if it was Freddy, the Ghost, Insert whoever.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Moving is in the eye of the beholder. When I was at Sandcastle billiards several weeks ago I had Dr. Bill and Danny D giving me advice on what shots to shoot. It was a great time. I would have to say that on about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shots they had different opinions on what shot to shoot. It's probable the same if it was Freddy, the Ghost, Insert whoever.

Thats exactly right. I like Billy and Danny but Johnny Ervolino could move better than both of them.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Your the best mover in the country Billy..no doubt about it. You have changed my mind and I was wrong. I would really like some more moving lessons. Please let me know if you would ever like to play some high dollar 1 ball one pocket. I wont have to practice for that game. Just think of all the experience I will get from you:rolleyes: By the way the last time we played how did your moving doing for you? The only games you won is when you shot at complete flyers and made them LMFAO

P.S. its a good thing our 2nd match wasn't on the T.V. table.... you would have lost your job LOL LOL

There isn't a game played on a pool table that I can beat you playing, I know that. If life were a horse race I would be entering the stretch turn, while you would still be in the back stretch. All I have left is a little playing time and a lot of knowledge. Now you want to take that away from me too, but you can't. All I can say is that the little bit of playing time I have left I will battle with you with 10/7. I know there are many players that can give me 10/6 and more, and the way you talk you shouldn't have a problem with me.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
There isn't a game played on a pool table that I can beat you playing, I know that. If life were a horse race I would be entering the stretch turn, while you would still be in the back stretch. All I have left is a little playing time and a lot of knowledge. Now you want to take that away from me too, but you can't. All I can say is that the little bit of playing time I have left I will battle with you with 10/7. I know there are many players that can give me 10/6 and more, and the way you talk you shouldn't have a problem with me.

Dr. Bill

Billy Im posting a separate thread in the one pocket forum just for you.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
If we forget about what was the right or wrong choice for a second, i'll just say that really was a beautiful shot, and it obviously could have very easily turned out a lot better. There is a lot to be learned there (for me). I would never even have considered that shot myself.