Help with 3 cushion math!

Kybanks

Verified Member
I've recently started watching some 3c matches and have quite enjoyed them. So I got on youtube and looked up 3 cushion systems and found multiple videos but none of them speak english. I've been mesmerized by the math and I've figured out some of it, but I get lost on how they count the diamonds the way that they do. Any help would be appreciated.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I've recently started watching some 3c matches and have quite enjoyed them. So I got on youtube and looked up 3 cushion systems and found multiple videos but none of them speak english. I've been mesmerized by the math and I've figured out some of it, but I get lost on how they count the diamonds the way that they do. Any help would be appreciated.
Many of the, Latin/Hispanic systems have several different CB starting position numbers according to what type of system it is. 5 system, Plus 2, Across-table, Reverse English. Where usually there is no difference is systems with NO English.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Many of the, Latin/Hispanic systems have several different CB starting position numbers according to what type of system it is. 5 system, Plus 2, Across-table, Reverse English. Where usually there is no difference is systems with NO English.

I've watched the plus 2 system and got lost! Lol. If it was in english I may have caught on. You are right, the numbers changed on the diamonds depending where the cb was positioned. I got completely confused. I understood the start plus finish equals aim. After that I'm lost. Thank you for the response.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
I've watched the plus 2 system and got lost! Lol. If it was in english I may have caught on. You are right, the numbers changed on the diamonds depending where the cb was positioned. I got completely confused. I understood the start plus finish equals aim. After that I'm lost. Thank you for the response.
Corner 5 is a good place to start if you're new to diamond systems. For me, the biggest mental barrier was understanding that one of the long rails actually has two different sets of numbers you have to memorize. The third rail starts at 1.0 and goes up by one for each diamond. The same rail when used to determine the cue ball origin starts at 1.5 and increments by one-half per diamond.

This isn't at all a silly suggestion, but watching the Donald Duck cartoon is one of the best ways to get started learning the diamond system. I think it's Corner 5 that's explained in the film.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Corner 5 is a good place to start if you're new to diamond systems. For me, the biggest mental barrier was understanding that one of the long rails actually has two different sets of numbers you have to memorize. The third rail starts at 1.0 and goes up by one for each diamond. The same rail when used to determine the cue ball origin starts at 1.5 and increments by one-half per diamond.

This isn't at all a silly suggestion, but watching the Donald Duck cartoon is one of the best ways to get started learning the diamond system. I think it's Corner 5 that's explained in the film.

Thank you. The videos I watched on 3c systems, every rail had it's own set of numbers. I understand the basic count of the diamonds. Where I got lost is those numbers would change. For example, he was kicking long rail to long rail to end rail and making a ticky for his point. The end rail number would change depending on where the cb was. One time the end rail numbers were 1, 3, and 4.5. Another time they were .5, 1, and 1.5. Why would they change values is what I'm trying to figure out. Hopefully this made sense.