Hustler Shot in Slow Motion

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Patrick,
I contacted Dr. Dave and conveyed your theory as per your # 20 thread about the cue ball leaving the cue tip as it does when executing the cb frozen to an ob shot.

And this was his reply regarding the Paul Newman Hustler Shot as per my last posted video using a purple heart shaft and a better camera.

And I quote;

"I agree with Patrick that the CB separates from the tip while the CB and 8 compress the cushion, but the tip still needs to rise up to avoid a double hit during rebound (hence the need for the above-center hit)". Dr. Dave

He also offered up that he has done extensive work on this shot, and sent me an article he wrote for Billiard Digest, aug. 2004 about movies and their shots, plots and so forth. In depicting the Hustler shot he describes the cb and 8 ball being jammed into the cushion and the cue rising above the balls to allow the 8 ball to be cross corner pocketed. He concludes that the shot is relatively easy to perform. I am paraphrasing to shorten up his longer article, and his total explanation as to how the shot is executed!

Thanks Patrick for your posted theory and sticking with this thread, and searching for the truth. Your theory was the one principle that my slow motion video could not pick up, for upon contact the cue vibrates and makes it hard to exactly decipher when the cue actually leaves contact with the cue ball. Whitey

Saving shots!

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Patrick,
I contacted Dr. Dave and conveyed your theory as per your # 20 thread about the cue ball leaving the cue tip as it does when executing the cb frozen to an ob shot.

And this was his reply regarding the Paul Newman Hustler Shot as per my last posted video using a purple heart shaft and a better camera.

And I quote;

"I agree with Patrick that the CB separates from the tip while the CB and 8 compress the cushion, but the tip still needs to rise up to avoid a double hit during rebound (hence the need for the above-center hit)". Dr. Dave

He also offered up that he has done extensive work on this shot, and sent me an article he wrote for Billiard Digest, aug. 2004 about movies and their shots, plots and so forth. In depicting the Hustler shot he describes the cb and 8 ball being jammed into the cushion and the cue rising above the balls to allow the 8 ball to be cross corner pocketed. He concludes that the shot is relatively easy to perform. I am paraphrasing to shorten up his longer article, and his total explanation as to how the shot is executed!

Thanks Patrick for your posted theory and sticking with this thread, and searching for the truth. Your theory was the one principle that my slow motion video could not pick up, for upon contact the cue vibrates and makes it hard to exactly decipher when the cue actually leaves contact with the cue ball. Whitey

Saving shots!
Good pool science project!

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Since Whitey was good enough to do a second video, here's the highlights of that one too. Looks like no double hit.

But I wonder if it could be called an intentional miscue foul (I believe there is such a thing).

I notice that the balls don't separate until after they've rebounded (together) from the rail. This is the same way frozen CB/OB combos act when there is no rail: they remain frozen together for a short while after leaving the tip (probably while the plastic compresses/uncompresses - like the rail).

pj
chgo

View attachment 22347

Attachments

• hustler shot 2.jpg
    hustler shot 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Since Whitey was good enough to do a second video, here's the highlights of that one too. Looks like no double hit.

But I wonder if it could be called an intentional miscue foul (I believe there is such a thing).

I notice that the balls don't separate until after they've rebounded (together) from the rail. This is the same way frozen CB/OB combos act when there is no rail: they remain frozen together for a short while after leaving the tip (probably while the plastic compresses/uncompresses - like the rail).

pj
chgo

View attachment 22347

Thanks, PJ. It looks like the cue is starting to separate from the cb at 2nd frame and 3rd frame, but a little blurry, and is clearly separated by 4th frame as the cue approaches half ball. This is all in 1000's of a sec.

To answer your question about miscue:
In my execution of this shot there was no miscue. You would of heard it on the video. Plus you would not get the action of the backwards spin as you will notice on the cue ball as it goes across, for to get this action it takes a good contacted force by the cue tip. If you miscue, the balls do not do much, for there is no forward force upon the balls. A miscue on this shot, by rule, would not be a foul but only an unintentional miscue. Remember, you have to catch a rail or pocket the ball, or it is a foul, so to intentionally miscue has no purpose.

All in all I think the video turned out pretty good for just slow motion. I can not see any foul in this execution. Thanks for the stop frames, they are very helpful. After this last upgraded video, coupled with your stop captions, I am declaring this shot a legal shot. Legal, because no foul is detected such as a double hit, or push shot, and neither the cue or balls are inhibited!

Of course rule making bodies can deem shots illegal for events under their domain, and coach their referees as such. Thus, in doing the work and having the availability of a forum such as this it helps to ward off such action. Thanks NH Steve for this wonder site! Whitey

Saving Shots!

Last edited: