Irving Crane the man behind the myth!

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Thanks for the link. I watched the whole thing, but straight is not my main game. A few questions/observations:

1. Match took place in 1966. Were they using composite balls like today, or still the older natural materials?

2. Extension of question 1: The cue ball seemed to plow through the rack many times when hit with a slow to medium speed. Is this due to ball material, superb technique, or a combination? I don't seem to see this same type of action on softer strokes in todays play. (but again, I'm not a straight pool expert)

3. Hardly every blasted the break shot. And would go into the rack a second time a few shots later. Contrary to most of todays player's blasting the break ball. I bet missed break balls occur much less this way.

4. Pay was $2500 first $1500 second in 1966. 24 players played in event, but seemed to come from other regional events if I interpreted what the announcer said correctly. Anyone know how big the extended field really was?

5. The audience seemed to be very interested, and packed with people. Was this a staged audience to make it look good for tv, or genuine fans?

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
video

video

Nice. Thank you.

The balls seem to be too reflective to be old composite or clay. The cue ball also appears to be a blue circle or blue fisheye. Of course what all that means is beyond me.