Is one pocket on life support?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Many of todays young players (SVB for example) have all the necessary skills to become very solid, top notch one pocket players. I get the feeling that
1P is losing ground as the most popular match-up. Most of the recent money games in 1P,
matches have been "young vs old". Mid range guys ( in age,) like Gabe,
Scott Frost, Joyner, etc., still prefer 1P match-ups as the best gambling game. It appears
the younger stars prefer 9/10 ball as their choice for hard core gambling. Is our favorite game headed for the same fate as 14.1.....? Lets hope not. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Dick Mc Morran said:
Many of todays young players (SVB for example) have all the necessary skills to become very solid, top notch one pocket players. I get the feeling that
1P is losing ground as the most popular match-up. Most of the recent money games in 1P
matches have been "young vs old". Mid range guys ( in age,) like Gabe,
Scott Frost, Joyner, etc., still prefer 1P match-ups as the best gambling game. It appears
the younger stars prefer 9/10 ball as their choice for hard core gambling. Is our favorite game headed for the same fate as 14.1.....? Lets hope not. What are your thoughts.

They are playing a lot of one pocket in Northern California but not gambling that much at it. I played in a monthly one pocket tournament yesterday at California Billiard Club in Mountain View. The house adds $400, the entry fee is $25 & it drew 29 players. First place was $400, second place $250 and down the line paying 25 % (approx.) of the field. There are 10 Gold Crown IV triple shimmed tables in the tournament area to play on. Hard Times in Sacramento has a similar once a month tournament. They add $300 with a $20 entry fee and always draw 30+ players. A terrific room with 8 triple shimmed tables in the tournament area. If you go in during the week, almost all of the tables will be going with one pocket being played on most of them, but very little gambling. There are also larger tournaments at the rooms during the year, including Family Billiards in San Francisco, another room with triple shimmed Gold Crowns. One pocket is the game of choice up here, but not the action game it used to be or may be in other parts of the country. The room owners are obviously aware of the popularity, sponsoring the tournaments and modifyingthe tables, but there are just a few of us who get up and gamble a little compared to the amount of people playing it. Maybe when some of the current youngsters game developes they will start mixing it up for the cash, but right now they can get their one pocket fix in tournaments and playing for funsies.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I know pool in general in the North East is struggling, but my impression is that One Pocket is pretty firmly established as one of the principle choices of game in most parts of the country, among players of mid to upper skills. Of course it varies from region to region. It's not as popular as 8-Ball or 9-Ball, which it has never been anyway, but certainly in the next tier.

At least 600 new people every month read the One Pocket Primer here on OnePocket.org -- hopefully each of those readers represents a budding new player :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
So true!

So true!

One Pocket Ghost said:
Steve, that's good to see, and you can give yourself some credit for enabling that.
Amen to that. I did not mean to imply it was dead, its way too good a game
for that. I am just concerned that the new champions are not playing that
much one pocket. And thats who all the young guys look up to.

little bubba

From
Biloxi, MS
One Pocket in the Desert

One Pocket in the Desert

I didn't start playing one pocket until about 6 years ago. In 04 when Grady had his tournament in south MS. (I had been playing a little while then) he came over and gave me a three hour lesson and allowed me to tape it. The following week I helped with the tournament and we have stayed in touch ever since, GREAT GUY! I am deployed now and to my surprise, where I'm deployed they actually have a few decent Brunswicks with 860. I taught a couple friends of mine after I learned the game and one of them happened to deploy with me. We play about 20+ hours a week. I have taught about 10 or so how to play, most skill levels over here will not let them execute shots sometimes required in 1P. 3 or 4 of them play well enough that I beleive they will stick with it. In fact it's their game of choice now. I mosly play 1P and straight pool. To me, if one can play those two games decently, 8ball and 9ball they can play pretty fair without much practice. I have about 5 months left, I am sure I will teach as many that want to learn the game. I tell them all, "Checkers are fun until you learn how to play chess, then it ain't fun anymore!" little bubba

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Dick Mc Morran said:
Amen to that. I did not mean to imply it was dead, its way too good a game
for that. I am just concerned that the new champions are not playing that
much one pocket. And thats who all the young guys look up to.
Even SBV is dabbing in a bit of One Pocket, and there are bunches of young players that play a lot of it, so I don't think I agree with you.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
1P Popularity

1P Popularity

I don't think 1P is any less popular than it ever was. In fact, it may be a little more popular. I'm happy to hear that it's picking up in central Calif. When I lived in N. Calif, guys wouldn't play it if you begged them. It's nice that guys like Tom and others started the tournaments. That will definitely cause guys to get interested; once they get exposed to it, and see the better players execute shots and safeties.

As far as action, there hasn't been much in central Calif. since Cochran's closed. Of course our man John H. does his best to keep action alive and clicking!

All it takes is for 2-3 decent players to start playing one-hole. Then the others start taking an interest. They start asking the better players to teach them the game, then they get hooked. It's starting to happen that way here in Gulfport. There are several guys who have just recently dabbled a little in the game, and now they're hooked.

Frankly, after playing 9-ball for 10-15 years, I don't understand how anyone could keep up
their interest in it!:rolleyes: Just about the time one gets good at it, it becomes boring.

Doc

little bubba

From
Biloxi, MS
"Hooked"

"Hooked"

Doc, I was at what use to be Jim Bobs years ago for lunch one day eating a burger and playing nineball with a friend. At a table beside us two guys were playing 1P. I new what they were playing but thats about it, we got to talking and I invited them over to my house to play some on my GCIII. They did, hence the start of my one pocket playing (about 6 years). Played in many 9ball and 8ball matches and touraments years ago. I wish I had learned the game then, but thats ok I love it the same. By the way, the two guys were Jason M. and Billy M. you have to know them.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
1p For Life

1p For Life

Its the most challenging game I have ever played ,You constantly learn & expand your mind when playing it, I want to personally Thank Grady for his input into the game ,here is a man that will take time and tell,explain things about the game to you. He seems to be "NEVER" to busy to help you on the game .I hope to continue to play 1P for the next 50 years :)

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
There are four youngsters at Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento that have taken up One Pocket. They still play a lot of 9 ball but One Pocket is their game to be able to play with the older players.

These kids are pretty good players some are B+ and some are already A level. Their ages range from 14 thru 18. Austin Murphy and his older brother Braden have been playing in the Monthly One Pocket events for the last few years. The other two players are just now playing in the event and have become competitive. Of course it helps when you play against such seasoned players as Billy Palmer, John Henderson and some of the other local and regional greats.

I've noticed that the younger players have learned so much more patience and table management playing one pocket, that they are getting the older players playing a little more cautious. It is not as easy to beat these kids as it was a few years ago.

One Pocket lives and thrives well out here in Norther California.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
little bubba said:
Doc, I was at what use to be Jim Bobs years ago for lunch one day eating a burger and playing nineball with a friend. At a table beside us two guys were playing 1P. I new what they were playing but thats about it, we got to talking and I invited them over to my house to play some on my GCIII. They did, hence the start of my one pocket playing (about 6 years). Played in many 9ball and 8ball matches and touraments years ago. I wish I had learned the game then, but thats ok I love it the same. By the way, the two guys were Jason M. and Billy M. you have to know them.
Well, hey, Little Bubba! If you're in Biloxi, you probably know that Jim Bob's is now Skeeter's. The room has better equipment now: 5 new Diamonds, and 8 Kim Steels-- all with new Simonis 860 and Super Aramith Pro balls. There are also 10 bar boxes. If you haven't stopped by, I suggest you do immediately. Jason M. is still a regular, and one-pocket is certainly played there. If you come by on Sunday afternoons, I'll be the tall, handsome gray-haired guy with all the women gathered around. Be sure to introduce yourself.

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
If you come by on Sunday afternoons, I'll be the tall, handsome gray-haired guy with all the women gathered around.

Doc

Hey Bubba, To make it more accurate, I'm gonna do a little editing on the part of my buddy Doc's post where he told you how you could recognize him >>>

"If you come by on Sunday afternoons, I'll be the tall, handsome gray-haired guy with all the women in their 50's gathered around"................:D :D

Last edited:

little bubba

From
Biloxi, MS
Doc

Doc

Doc, did you intentionally forget the adj. that ghost added to your quote? Probably just an oversight your part huh? Doc, Skeeter's had opened just before I left to "do my tour of duty". I did not make it in to check it out, but will when I get home. When I get home Doc, you will have to come over and play some. There are two more guy's at work that have 9' foot tables. We usually alternate one night a week and play 1P. The tables are GCIII, Diamond, and an Olhousen. Doc, have you ever thought about opening up a nice poolroom like a Clicks or a Fox & The Hound around the HWY 49 or creosote rd area? I have, even before Skeeter's reopened. I have talked to Grady before about this, 500,000 people in three coastal counties would support it ! Feel free to PM if you have any "ideas". little bubba

easy-e

From
Roanoke, VA
little bubba said:
I didn't start playing one pocket until about 6 years ago. In 04 when Grady had his tournament in south MS. (I had been playing a little while then) he came over and gave me a three hour lesson and allowed me to tape it. The following week I helped with the tournament and we have stayed in touch ever since, GREAT GUY! I am deployed now and to my surprise, where I'm deployed they actually have a few decent Brunswicks with 860. I taught a couple friends of mine after I learned the game and one of them happened to deploy with me. We play about 20+ hours a week. I have taught about 10 or so how to play, most skill levels over here will not let them execute shots sometimes required in 1P. 3 or 4 of them play well enough that I beleive they will stick with it. In fact it's their game of choice now. I mosly play 1P and straight pool. To me, if one can play those two games decently, 8ball and 9ball they can play pretty fair without much practice. I have about 5 months left, I am sure I will teach as many that want to learn the game. I tell them all, "Checkers are fun until you learn how to play chess, then it ain't fun anymore!" little bubba

Where are you deployed to where there are Brunswicks with simonis? I have been to a lot of bases in Iraq and never seen anything that nice! I'm happy you have somewhere nice to play.

little bubba

From
Biloxi, MS
Kuwait

Kuwait

easy-e said:
Where are you deployed to where there are Brunswicks with simonis? I have been to a lot of bases in Iraq and never seen anything that nice! I'm happy you have somewhere nice to play.

I am in Kuwait (AJ) easy-e. I play pretty much everyday or atleast 5 times a week. Sometimes for 8 hrs or more. Not much else to do here, should be trying to finish Masters, but pool is more important! I will be going home on leave around the end of the month. Just ordered the new Predator Blak 2 with extra 314-2, Air Jump and BK-2. I have a GCIII at home and I plan to play as much as the wife will allow with the limited time home ya know. Do you play 1P? Nice stuff you said about Grady on AZ, I like that guy alot!

easy-e

From
Roanoke, VA
little bubba said:
I am in Kuwait (AJ) easy-e. I play pretty much everyday or atleast 5 times a week. Sometimes for 8 hrs or more. Not much else to do here, should be trying to finish Masters, but pool is more important! I will be going home on leave around the end of the month. Just ordered the new Predator Blak 2 with extra 314-2, Air Jump and BK-2. I have a GCIII at home and I plan to play as much as the wife will allow with the limited time home ya know. Do you play 1P? Nice stuff you said about Grady on AZ, I like that guy alot!

I love one pocket! Every weekend I practice for about four hours with Grady, it's always a good time. I am going to take leave for a week or two this fall and just go to the pool hall every day and play with him. He has been teaching me a lot.
I passed through Kuwait on my way to Iraq, we stayed at Ali Al Salem, and they had four TERRIBLE tables. It's nice to hear you have some decent playing equipment.

DaddysVisa

First post here. Been lurking for a few weeks. I live in Alberta, Canada. One-pocket is starting to be played by more and more people over the past 6 months or so. A good player moved back here after working 6 years in the states. He brought the game back with him. Up to that point the only people who had played it much were the old school pros and semi-pros who had spent some time playing in the US.

Several people, including myself have bought a bunch of Accustats matches and have started to circulate them around to generate interest in the game. It has been working great.

I moved to a different city in Alberta recently and tried to bring the game there too. I passed round a bunch of the Accustats tapes and most of the serious pool players in town are starting to play the game. I'm getting a phone call or two per day: "Wanna go down and play some one-pocket?". People seem really tired of nine-ball now. Everyone knows the break, and the patterns, and the strokes nowadays. It is just a matter of who is stroking/breaking better that day. The World Championships this year really showed what the game has degenerated to: soft-breaking, wingballs and stop shot runouts. You can play for hours and not have a new situation come up. One-pocket is very refreshing.

I have wanted to make a trip to play in the US Open for a while now. Now that I am almost done all of my education and have some money to travel I think I absolutely must see the DDC next January. Screw the US Open.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Good News!

Good News!

SactownTom said:
There are four youngsters at Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento that have taken up One Pocket. They still play a lot of 9 ball but One Pocket is their game to be able to play with the older players.

These kids are pretty good players some are B+ and some are already A level. Their ages range from 14 thru 18. Austin Murphy and his older brother Braden have been playing in the Monthly One Pocket events for the last few years. The other two players are just now playing in the event and have become competitive. Of course it helps when you play against such seasoned players as Billy Palmer, John Henderson and some of the other local and regional greats.

I've noticed that the younger players have learned so much more patience and table management playing one pocket, that they are getting the older players playing a little more cautious. It is not as easy to beat these kids as it was a few years ago.

One Pocket lives and thrives well out here in Norther California.
Thats great news Tom. I guess I need to get out more. I was basing my
evaluation soley on what I saw or heard from the DCC last month, and from
local activity here. Maybe I should move to Sac. My son and his wife both
work there. (they commute from Placerville) John H. and I could have a
ball playing partners against the young guns, if we could stay in money!!!
" I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." Mark Twain (& SJD)

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I have talked to a few folks my area but most seem to think 1P is too slow. "Boring" they say. Now these are the same guys that will spend 5 minutes trying to figure what shot to take in 8 ball. Go figure :eek:

Pel