John Brumback Q &A

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
A couple of questions

A couple of questions

Hi John, it is great to see you here. I recently joined after lurking for quite some time. A couple of questions for you. What pool hall do you play out of? Also, do you give lessons?

Keith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John Brumback said:
Hello Doc.How you doin? I had to re read that like 6 times but I think I can help ya.The problem I see with your thinking is coming from out in the table... your not going to be able to cheat the pockets like that.Your going to have to hit it DEAD center.But with the way I'm going to hit it,If i miss hit a little mine has a good chance of sliding on down the rail and still go in the pocket.
That's what I realized after I wrote the post-- that an OB coming at a short angle down the rail would benefit from sliding into the pocket. Whereas coming dead into the pocket at, say, 45 degrees means that it has to roll right across the center of the pocket. Thanks~ Doc

f67bird

Hi John,
It's great to have you here.
Any insight or knowledge you can share will be most appreciated by all.
I am hoping you will reply to the thread "Why Does Who You Play Affect How You Play?"
I imagine you went thru this at one time or another, and if so...for the most part have overcome it.

Any thoughts on this subject?

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
John,
Welcome to the mayhem...

I know you are using inside on the banks, and understand the concept... but doesn't the cut itself shorten the bank angle if the ball lays close enough to the rail with induced english? You replied sometimes that you just cut it a little more is that the purpose of the extra cut? To induce a little more to the ball...
Do you just see the new track, or is it just hours of banking that shows you if the ball lays right for the shot... or do you manufacture the angle with cut and english... doesn't top english also shorten it?
So many questions from a "D" player...

Thanks,
B

John Brumback

Verified Member
KSager said:
Hi John, it is great to see you here. I recently joined after lurking for quite some time. A couple of questions for you. What pool hall do you play out of? Also, do you give lessons?

Keith

Hello Keith.Thanks for the welcome, and glad to see you gettin in here too.I don't play much in any poolrooms.
I do lessons and my practice at my home.I have the TV table from last years DCC at my house.you can PM me if you like.Thanks again. John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Good point, but...

Good point, but...

androd said:
I believe and have been shown, inside english will let straighter angle cross corner banks touch the rail then hit both tits and the english still tends to take the ball into the pocket.;) This opposed to outside which will make the OB stand up.:(
Rod.

Excellent point, Rod. But the factor is only good for "cut" banks (where you cut the o.b. into the angle). Those are the banks that reverse english helps go into the pocket. However, "passover" banks have a reverse effect.

The nice thing is that, just by cutting the object ball into the angle on a cut bank, you are putting "helping" reverse english on the object ball. (collision induced english)

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Great tidbit..

Great tidbit..

John Brumback said:
Hello Doc.How you doin? I had to re read that like 6 times but I think I can help ya.The problem I see with your thinking is coming from out in the table... your not going to be able to cheat the pockets like that.Your going to have to hit it DEAD center.But with the way I'm going to hit it,If i miss hit a little mine has a good chance of sliding on down the rail and still go in the pocket.

Good bankpool players make the pockets play bigger than their oppo.That's the trick to good bankpool. Imo. Oh, and it doesn't really matter where on the table your coming from.Another thing is you don't have to hit all banks hard to get the same effect. Hope that makes sense.If it doesn't I'll try again.
Thanks, John B.

Great little set of secrets, Johnny Boy.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
wgcp said:
John,
Welcome to the mayhem...

I know you are using inside on the banks, and understand the concept... but doesn't the cut itself shorten the bank angle if the ball lays close enough to the rail with induced english? You replied sometimes that you just cut it a little more is that the purpose of the extra cut? To induce a little more to the ball...
Do you just see the new track, or is it just hours of banking that shows you if the ball lays right for the shot... or do you manufacture the angle with cut and english... doesn't top english also shorten it?
So many questions from a "D" player...

Thanks,
B

Thanks for the welcome.Yes,the cut itself does help hold it.Sorry to everyone..But I forgot to put in my post about the collision SP induced english.I was thinking about it but not writing it.I don't think that it matters if the ob is close to a rail or not.Your still going to get the same effect.Pretty sure I said somewhere back there that top english helps hold it.Yes I do see the track. But you are still going to have to practice for hours on banks to be a good at banking balls.Or get a lesson from a top bankpool player.Even then your going to have to put in alot of practice.hope that helps. John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Excellent point, Rod. But the factor is only good for "cut" banks (where you cut the o.b. into the angle). Those are the banks that reverse english helps go into the pocket. However, "passover" banks have a reverse effect.

The nice thing is that, just by cutting the object ball into the angle on a cut bank, you are putting "helping" reverse english on the object ball. (collision induced english)

Beard

Thank you Freddie! Yes he(Fred) is spot on with that.I just don't type fast enough or good enough to do all that explaining,Yet. Thanks Fred.I was wondering if you were ever going to help me with some of this? And thanks for the compliment back there on Doc's.Much appreciated. John Boy.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Congrats again on your induction into the HOF. It's very well deserved.
I have some questions I hope you can answer so I'm bringing this thread back up.

- What type of tip and curvature (dime, nickel, something else) do you prefer on your cue for your bank play?

- Who was your toughest opponent and why?

- What was the toughest pool hall you ever played in and why?

Thank you and Happy Holidays

John Brumback

Verified Member
P00lh0li0 said:
Congrats again on your induction into the HOF. It's very well deserved.
I have some questions I hope you can answer so I'm bringing this thread back up.

- What type of tip and curvature (dime, nickel, something else) do you prefer on your cue for your bank play?

- Who was your toughest opponent and why?

- What was the toughest pool hall you ever played in and why?

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Hello.Thanks again for the congrats.Much appreciated.And happy holidays to you!

Morrie med. about a nickel. Same thing with all games I play.

Eferen reyes.Nuff said I think lol

The pool halls I grew up in.I would be down over a shot and some of them would hollar as soon as I would shoot,"bet you dog it" stuff like that, right when I was pulling the trigger.Think that might have made me tougher though.
Hope I answered your ?s Thanks for asking too.JB