John Henderson

thebaby

Verified Member
They just don't make them like him anymore. I been playing this game they call pool for 50 + years. I feel like I have seen plenty. I have to say , I never met a person in all those years like Big Daddy. He was a fighter, that's for sure. We all felt very comfortable around him. Whether we were gambling with him, or just shooting the breeze. Me and John battled it out a few times. I would win , he would win , all the time , win or lose he would never get angry. John was a class act , that's for sure. The pool world will never be the same. Were going to miss you.
ON SIDE NOTE , I'M GOING TO TRY AND MAKE A RUN AT THIS GAME AGAIN , SO IF ANY OF YOU WANNABEES WANT TO PLAY , DON'T HESITATE. That goes for everybody , nobody is barred !

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Condolense to the family and If I can have half the life and half the class as john I will feel blessed indeed
Will miss him and think about the times I have got to hang out with him and Raise a glass to the passing of a great man and pool player.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
They just don't make them like him anymore. I been playing this game they call pool for 50 + years. I feel like I have seen plenty. I have to say , I never met a person in all those years like Big Daddy. He was a fighter, that's for sure. We all felt very comfortable around him. Whether we were gambling with him, or just shooting the breeze. Me and John battled it out a few times. I would win , he would win , all the time , win or lose he would never get angry. John was a class act , that's for sure. The pool world will never be the same. Were going to miss you.
ON SIDE NOTE , I'M GOING TO TRY AND MAKE A RUN AT THIS GAME AGAIN , SO IF ANY OF YOU WANNABEES WANT TO PLAY , DON'T HESITATE. That goes for everybody , nobody is barred !
It was a nice post until the last paragraph??? WTH?

baby huey

Verified Member
The man lived his life on his own terms. He was the same silly guy last week as when I first met him in 1965. I will miss him so much that words cannot express my feelings. God bless you brother. Save a spot for me in the ring game when I next see you.

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
The world of pool, especially this little slice we call one pocket, is just a little dimmer with the incredible bright light that was John Henderson now gone. I never met the man, but I feel like I know him through the magic of our great west coast streamers. John was really a joy to listen to on west coast one pocket streams the last several years.

May he rest in power and continue to brighten the one pocket scene upstairs.

-don

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I am so sorry to hear about John’s passing. My condolences to his family and close friends. That said, didn’t John make us all feel like we were close friends. I first met John at the DCC in 2017 or 18. When I traveled to Sac, I would give him a little something playing 1P and win. Then we would play 3C where he would blister me. We had a great time, playing cheap and razzing each other a bit.

John Henderson was a gentleman in every way. The 1P community lost a great one here.

evergruven

Verified Member
sorry to see this. didn't know john, except through his posts on this site. just through his text, I could discern his knowledge, wit, love for the game and its players.
my condolences to his family and friends, many of which I know are here on 1p. he will surely be missed. rest in peace, john✨

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jJUU2oFgZWXHXdYa8 A dead zone bank!

This video particularly comes to mind when I think of John H. When I originally posted this back in Feb. of '22 he made a comment; " that sure is a nice bank". So that made it special for me, with a comment like that coming from the man, ' John H.'. He really never posted a lot but when he did it was not ususally long winded, nice and short and to the point, and everyone paid attention.

Somehow we did not cross paths during our playing days at Bellflower Palace, but I posted one time that I was playing OP on the #2 table and beside me on #1 was 2 players tall in height, older than me about 28 - 30 that were shooting lights out jacked up one handed OP, just as if they were shooter two handed. John responded to the post and stated; "that was probably me". I do not doubt it for a minute, but wow talking about impressive, I had never seen anything like that before!
I just can not imagine just how much of a lost Sac. Hardtimes players are going through. He probably mentored most of them, and was like their father figure. I believe if not mistaken he mentored Tony Chohan also.
When I stated posting again, John right away invited my down to Sac. Hardtimes for his tournament named in his honor. That made me feel good that he personally invited me. Very nice man!
RIP John, Lifer OP Player!
Whitey

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jJUU2oFgZWXHXdYa8 A dead zone bank!

This video particularly comes to mind when I think of John H. When I originally posted this back in Feb. of '22 he made a comment; " that sure is a nice bank". So that made it special for me, with a comment like that coming from the man, ' John H.'. He really never posted a lot but when he did it was not ususally long winded, nice and short and to the point, and everyone paid attention.

Somehow we did not cross paths during our playing days at Bellflower Palace, but I posted one time that I was playing OP on the #2 table and beside me on #1 was 2 players tall in height, older than me about 28 - 30 that were shooting lights out jacked up one handed OP, just as if they were shooter two handed. John responded to the post and stated; "that was probably me". I do not doubt it for a minute, but wow talking about impressive, I had never seen anything like that before!
I just can not imagine just how much of a lost Sac. Hardtimes players are going through. He probably mentored most of them, and was like their father figure. I believe if not mistaken he mentored Tony Chohan also.
When I stated posting again, John right away invited my down to Sac. Hardtimes for his tournament named in his honor. That made me feel good that he personally invited me. Very nice man!
RIP John, Lifer OP Player!
Whitey
Another great shot whitey, I'm curious what would happen on a Diamond table , I think it shortens up to much to go like you said but its still a good move.

BallBanger

Well-Known-Member
John passed last night. He is on his new journey.
Rest in Peace John! You did a lot for this game! My condolences to your family! You made the west coast and west coast One Pocket scene proud! From Ronnie Allen, and Jack Cooney to all the other players around the state of California; from San Diego and Bakersfield to Redding!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Judging from all I’ve heard about this wonderful man and what I’ve witnessed at the 1st Super Senior event in Houston, ( which he won )
John Henderson was about the best ambassador of the game of one pocket as we have seen here at onepocket.org. John always had a smile, or a kind word to say and he was a joy to be around. He could tell a good story, or listen to one with equal enthusiasm. John truly loved the game and he dearly loved the action. John left a giant footprint, and he will be missed. I’m so glad to have met him….

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Last time we hung out I drove up from Ky to see his last match with Ghost in Chicago. Late one night we jump in my truck and find a hot dog joint.. so me Bill, John and another guy are talking and John tells me he raised pidgeons and was a big deal in a pidgeon racing club.
So the story goes a man from the club befriends him and they are talking about how Hawks and Falcons are hard on their pidgeons. He was telling his new friend how he devised this trap with a pidgeon decoy and all the members now used them. When a hawk would land and try to kill the pidgeon decoy, it would spring and kill it.
The guy seems excited and asks all the details and John tells him about how they work and bragging about trapping and killing 30 or 40 himself that year alone.
Next day he gets raided. Guy was a undercover fish and wildlife officer.... Huge fines, stuff confiscated etc.. But the way he told the story I think we laughed for a hour about the pidgeon police...😆
His wife is also a master gardener and canner so we shared organic gardening conversations along with pool.

Last edited:

thebaby

Verified Member
It was a nice post until the last paragraph??? WTH?
Dave, I said my piece , and my condolences , and I have said it all over social media, and I will always miss John. But that last sentence was for everybody. It was not for you to like it or dislike it . I'm not serving apple pie my friend. no disrepect.