Make It Happen...Observations

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Tournament chess matches have been played on a time clock for a long time. I'm sure some variation of what the chess folks have worked out could work with 1p. For example, if you need to limit matches to 30 minutes then give each player 15 minutes of clock time. That might work out fairly because then a player could use more time to figure out a tought situation and less time for an easy one.

Although...knowing pool players, somebody will figure out a way to stall his opponent out of time and win that way! :D

Skin
Yes, and they would do it with an up-table game which is one of the most un-spectator friendly styles of One Pocket. I think for that reason a chess type clock would be a mistake.

I like my suggestion (of course I do :) ): a 60 second shot clock, but give each player two minutes of "extra time" each match -- and no need to ask for extra time, it just rolls into your extra time automatically if you exceed your 60 seconds -- until you use up your extra time of course.

Just finished for the night with Shane beating Efren 3 games to 1, so Shane sits atop the leader board with a 3-1 record. Several players tied at 2-2 and Scott Frost bringing up the rear at 1-3.

Daulton plays Shane tomorrow and could force a multi-way tie if he wins; if Shane wins then Shane wins the tournament.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In the second game, Efren had his game ball hanging in his pocket and Shane got a last-gasp chance to run some balls to get back into the game and then follow Efren's game ball into the pocket, except that the 1-ball was over the line and on Efren's side, just above the side pocket. Shane got to here and is still at the table. What would you do now? Shane's shot, Efren has 7 balls...

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-04-13_22-51-19.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-04-13_22-51-19.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0

Jimmy B

Verified Member
In the second game, Efren had his game ball hanging in his pocket and Shane got a last-gasp chance to run some balls to get back into the game and then follow Efren's game ball into the pocket, except that the 1-ball was over the line and on Efren's side, just above the side pocket. Shane got to here and is still at the table. What would you do now? Shane's shot, Efren has 7 balls...

Desperate times. Make that six and use force follow or draw and knock the one into the kitchen, then do the table jump or follow in behind thing and you're back in business. That's no hill for a climber like the awesome SVB...

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
From
NYC

Looks like you have to get above the 1 ball and go all out for the bank. If you had more angle on the 6, you could try to send the cue ball 3 rails and hopefully kick the 1 out.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
60 seconds seems a little too short to me. 90 or 120 might be better. The clock should not be the determining aspect in one-pocket. Excellent play should be the criterion.

Doc

Doc...I agree with you here 1,000%..:cool:...and if there had to be a shot clock, I definitely say the 120 seconds, not the 90...

Imo, a short (60 sec.) shot clock bastardizes the game, and wrongly impinges upon, and detracts from, the vital strategic decisions that need to be made in crucial situations...and thinking about that clock ticking while concentrating on analyzing and strategizing the situation at hand, will easily 'shark' the player...:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Do professional golfers have a shot clock on them when they are deciding which iron to use, or analyzing the green for their putts?

- Ghost

Ghosty,

After they have been warned once or twice about slow play, yes, they do have a clock put on them. That 14 yr. old Chinese kid got a 1 stroke penalty at the Masters after having been warned two times about slow play.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/s...s-tianlang-guan-told-quicken-pace-third-round

P.S. There are also rules (rarely enforced) in MLB about the pitcher having to throw to the plate in a certain amount of time.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

steve i hope you dont mind
i made a separate thread for the wwyd
so it doesnt get buried here and it could be found as a wwyd situation
i hope you dont mind
:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Desperate times. Make that six and use force follow or draw and knock the one into the kitchen, then do the table jump or follow in behind thing and you're back in business. That's no hill for a climber like the awesome SVB...
jimmy i also put this responce in the new thread
i hope its ok
:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghosty,

After they have been warned once or twice about slow play, yes, they do have a clock put on them. That 14 yr. old Chinese kid got a 1 stroke penalty at the Masters after having been warned two times about slow play.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/s...s-tianlang-guan-told-quicken-pace-third-round

P.S. There are also rules (rarely enforced) in MLB about the pitcher having to throw to the plate in a certain amount of time.

Dennis

Ok Denny, I stand erected where the golf rules are concerned (so I edited that part out of my previous post)...but as far as my opinion of the shot clock being used in One Pocket, the rules of other sports don't fukkin matter to me anyway - all of the other points that I made are what matters.

- Ghosty

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I watches thr first 8 matches but I went to Vegas Saturday morning and I haven't heard anything sinse then. I'm setting at the pool at the Wynn. Tough life. I would appreciate an update of Saturdays and today's matches. Thanks. Keith

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I watches thr first 8 matches but I went to Vegas Saturday morning and I haven't heard anything sinse then. I'm setting at the pool at the Wynn. Tough life. I would appreciate an update of Saturdays and today's matches. Thanks. Keith

I just finished watching their replay of the Scott vs Shane match -- but you already saw that, lol.

Well, earlier today Efren crushed Scott 3-0 in a match that saw Efren run both of the first two games eight and out, with Scott playing only one shot on Efren's break. In the third game Efren started running out again, but he got out of line part way through to save Scott the indignity of losing 24-0 in the ball count, but Efren still won after Scott got a couple balls.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

All the favorites have been winning except a few matches where the underdogs pulled it off.

Thanks for telling what you're doing and where. :(