Man who made one pocket is jack hill info about him below.

ERIC MOREMAN

Thursday, June 18, 2015
One-Pocket Mystery: Who Invented the Game?
Fats identifies Jack Hill
as the inventor
of one-pocket.
Here's a one-pocket mystery.

Jack Hill, apparently from Oklahoma, is referenced in Hustler Days as the inventor of one-pocket. But the original source for that information was The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies, the book by Minnesota Fats. Fats offers only a few details about Hill, and we have never seen Hill's name referenced elsewhere.

According to Fats, a man by the name of Babe Emmett owned a great room in downtown Oklahoma City, on Main Street. Fats first went there, looking for Hill, but to no avail. The locals told him that instead, Hill would be playing in a room at the Huckin's Hotel, down the street.

"I must have stayed at the Huckin's Hotel for six months, watching old man Hill playing one-pocket," Fats states in the Bank Shot. "He told me if I could play three cushion and banks and straight pool, I would have a tremendous advantage at one-pocket so we played some three cushion and banks and once he saw the way I could bank a shot he said I wouldn't have any trouble at all."

So who was Jack Hill? And was he really the father of the most cerebral of hustlers' games?

A difficulty here is that a separate man, a hustler named Hayden Lingo, also has been credited with inventing one-pocket. Lingo is also from Oklahoma.

There's a bit more known about Lingo. For instance, he played Johnston City, during the Jansco Brothers tournaments. Two sources told Steve Booth at OnePocket.org that it was Lingo's rules that the Janscos used at their one-pocket events.

"Although he was from Oklahoma City, Lingo spent long stretches on the road, at least as far from home as Boston," wrote Booth. "Old-timers from Oklahoma City describe him as a well-dressed and soft-spoken man, while those who ran into him on the road often describe him as a secretive hustler. From Eddie Taylor to Squirrel, to Freddie the Beard, all who knew him agree that he was an unusually smart player, who approached One Pocket like a studious chess master would approach chess."

But Lingo passed away several years ago and no one knows for certain what role he played in the creation of one-pocket. Booth himself expresses skepticism.

So that brings us back to Jack Hill, who is referenced in the Bank Shot. That book was actually written by Philadelphia journalist Tom Fox, and it was based on his conversations with Fats and his then-wife Evelyn. But there wasn't a lot of fact-checking going on when Fox wrote the book, and Fats was known for playing extremely fast and loose with the truth.

Could it be that Fats simply forgot Lingo's name and so made up that of "Hill" instead? That is, could it be that Lingo and Hill are the same person? After all, they're both from Oklahoma City. Or could it be that Hayden Lingo learned the game from Jack Hill?

I tend to think the second supposition is the more likely. That's because Fats, in his book, described Hill as "an old man." Given the timeline from the Bank Shot, that means that Lingo would have been either dead or positively ancient by the time of the Johnston City tournaments. That doesn't quite square with the description of Hayden Lingo that we've seen.

But Fats, Tom Fox and Hayden Lingo and are all dead. And so too, presumably, is Jack Hill. So it seems impossible to do more than speculate.

-- R.A. Dyer
Posted by R.A. Dyer at 4:47 PM
No comments:

Post a Comment
Links to this post

Create a Link
Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
The Hustler & The Champ
The Hustler & The Champ
Pool & Billiard History

Promote Your Page Too
Hustler Days
Hustler Days
Add to Technorati Favorites
Search This Blog

Followers
Follow Pool History on Twitter
Pool Blogs

Pool is a Journey
A Love Affair
Pool Minnow
Wow, almost 6 years
Billiard Coach - Mike Fieldhammer
It Was 20 Years Ago Today
Diary of a Pool Shooter - The Adventures of FastMikie
The Jerry Scott Rambow Cue
Angle of Reflection
Insomnia
OMGWTF
26 and now this
Pool Cue News and Review
Apparently There Was A BCA Expo???
p00lriah.
it’s magic
Ace's Pool Blog
Season 1 - The Hustlers: A Review
Pool Student's Blog
食事がかなり重要!心臓病を防ぐ為の大切な食事

Show All
Subscribe To
BlogCatalog
Sport Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Blog Archive

► 2017 (2)

▼ 2015 (8)
► December (1)
► September (1)
► August (3)
▼ June (3)
One-Pocket Mystery: Who Invented the Game?
American Pool History: A Timeline
Michael Phelan, the Father of American Pool — A Ti...

► 2014 (4)

► 2012 (5)

► 2011 (32)

► 2010 (86)

► 2009 (62)

► 2008 (6)

► 2007 (20)

Blog Subjects

Harold Worst
Historic Pool Videos
Jersey Red
John "Rags" Fitzpatrick
Johnston City Hustler Tournaments
Minnesota Fats
Pool and Pool Players
Ralph Greenleaf
Tom Fox
Weenie Beenie
Willie Mosconi
Wimpy Lassiter

Pool History Blogs

Untold Stories: Alfredo De Oro
-
Untold Stories: Billiards History
St. Elmo: Favorite Haunt of Wimpy Lassiter - This photo of the St. Elmo pool hall in Norfolk, Virginia. It was the favorite haunt of the world famous Wimpy Lassiter and also was featured in the book...
6 months ago
Untold Stories: Harold Worst
Boston Shorty versus Harold Worst - Boston Shorty won the Johnston City One-Pocket competition four times. He is remembered today as one of the greatest one-pocket players ever. Harold Wor...
6 years ago
Untold Stories: Historic Pool Videos
Pearl mounts comeback, SVB takes cheese - SVB with his big checks for winning the DCC Earl Strickland had a great run during this year's Derby City Classic. He placed high in the nine-ball field, ...
6 years ago
Untold Stories: Jersey Red
PoolSynergy 18: The Ayatolla of One-Hola - Favorite game? One-pocket without a doubt. This is the game of the famous Ayatollah of One-Hola, Jersey Red. He was one of the first people I ever saw p...
6 years ago
Untold Stories: John "Rags" Fitzpatrick
America's Best Ever Pool Player? You Decide - Who is America's best ever pool player? The poll on the top right of the pool history blog lists some all-time favorites, including recent Hall of Fame ind...
8 years ago
Untold Stories: Johnston City Hustler Tournaments
PoolSynergy20: The Hustlers' Jamboree - I’ve been thinking a lot about Johnston City lately, especially given that the 50th anniversary of the Hustlers Jamboree is just around the corner. For ...
6 years ago
Untold Stories: Minnesota Fats
A New Limb on the Fats Family Tree - Rudolf Wanderone — the many better known as Minnesota Fats — was the most famous pool hustler in American history. But how much do we really know about hi...
3 years ago
Untold Stories: Pool and Pool Players
Introducting PoolSynergy: an online collection of pool writing - Check out the first edition of PoolSynergy, contemplated as a monthly collection of great pool writing from the web. Poolsynergy the brainchild of John Bi...
7 years ago
Untold Stories: Ralph Greenleaf
Mosconi and Greenleaf -- TOGETHER - *Billiard Champs Entertain The Troops*<p>&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Your browser does not support iframes.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt...
6 years ago
Untold Stories: Tom Fox
America's Best Ever Pool Player? You Decide - Who is America's best ever pool player? The poll on the top right of the pool history blog lists some all-time favorites, including recent Hall of Fame ind...
8 years ago
Untold Stories: Weenie Beenie
Johnston City & The Jansco Brothers - Here's another Johnston City video, this one featuring trick shots by Ronnie Allen, Champagne Eddy Kelly, Weenie Beenie and others. Jim McKay from Wide Wor...
8 years ago
Untold Stories: Willie Mosconi
Mosconi and Greenleaf -- TOGETHER - Billiard Champs Entertain The Troops

&lt;p&gt;Your browser does not support iframes.&lt;/p&gt;
Will the wonders of th...
6 years ago
Untold Stories: Wimpy Lassiter
St. Elmo: Favorite Haunt of Wimpy Lassiter - This photo of the St. Elmo pool hall in Norfolk, Virginia. It was the favorite haunt of the world famous Wimpy Lassiter and also was featured in the book...
6 months ago

Eric Moreman <moreman9@gmail.com>

8:06 PM (0 minutes ago)

to me

Click here to Reply or Forward
1.26 GB (8%) of 15 GB used
Manage
Terms - Privacy
Last account activity: in 11 hours
Details

ADAM
Show details

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
you are wrong--i invented one pocket in the 80s, i also invented straight pool,bank, 8ball and 9 ball......

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Mike Shamos's article on the history of One Pocket

Mike Shamos's article on the history of One Pocket

The post below quotes a brief R.A. Dyer article about One Pocket, but Mike Shamos, the billiard historian, applied his usual thorough research to the roots of One Pocket by looking closely at references to games like One Pocket in early pool and billiard books -- and he found plenty to write about in his nice long article.

My take after reading Mike's article, and putting it together with what I understand about the way pool players think, is that the game of One Pocket readily evolved from the One Pocket vs 5 pockets that a hustler played a mark, to One Pocket vs One Pocket when two hustlers played each other.

Whether or not Jack Hill was a real person or not, no doubt Fats got into the game early, along with Lingo and Hubert Cokes. Those are the three prominent names I hear associated with the 30's and forward rise in the game. But there must have been plenty of other hustlers that could play it.

Brunswick had a stranglehold on tournaments during the first 30 years of the last century, yet pool was at its absolute peak at that time, with hundreds of poolrooms in big cities and plenty in even small towns, not to mention private homes, where a billiard room was almost a prerequisite in the teens and 20's. So there were literally millions of players not engaged in major tournaments, and you know damn well plenty of them were gambling at the game.

There was one very prominent player, who was at or near the top, but got booted by Brunswick for possibly throwing a match or something like that -- Emmitt Blankenship (sp?). He sure did not quit pool, and I heard occasional references to him. In fact, I think he had a near family connection to Eddie Taylor when Eddie was a child -- but this I cannot confirm anymore. I believe Blankenship ended up suffering from under-treated diabetes, like a number of other players over the years (including Bugs Rucker not too long ago).

Anyway, if you have not read Mike Shamos's great article, it is here on OnePocket.org: http://www.onepocket.org/news/keeping-a-good-game-down/