More Chicago stuff

cashrider

Verified Member
You may be right.........

You may be right.........

Dick Mc Morran said:
Cashrider, If you have ever experienced the "joy" of playing in Bensinger's, you would understand why nobody EVER went looking for ANYTHING there. Even Freddie and Grady will attest to that. :eek:

Dick

l'm sure fear had a part in this, ......... l'm not sure what the fear was of........

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
cashrider said:
..........Artie must be resting,but he may be a light sleeper, uh oh.........
I can only say put up your money and we will see if I am wright or wrong and you can add up all youre onepocket information from all they greatest players. And see who wins the contest Talk is cheap and it does not mean anythig. I could be 100% bs and so could anyone.Its like playing pooker you bet your money and call the bluff. And all those citys you are talking about their were ver veiw good players around. I am not going to say who I beat. But I no I couldnt get a one pocket game. Make a list of all the good one pocket players and see who I played and beat. And the only player that Knew me were some of the best players. Chicago had 20 good bankers and one pocket players. I can tell you all the players one pocket gamblers that woul play. And their werent to many in the whole country. If their were 20 players in the whole country that would play thats a lot. And if you want to name who would play then give their names. Because I new who would play and who wouldnt play. And DEtroit and chicago had more players in banks and one pocket then the whole country. I dont think we have to go any further then this.I couldnt get none of the California players to play and I beat Moral Sergio and I offered to play anyone in their whole click one pocket or eight ball or one handed three cushion billiards with anyone in the world. I got one session playing eight ball and I one and the left town their whole clisk. Nobody new me and nobody new all the people I beat. And I ran Around with the sharpest hustlers and card players. And we one way more in hustling and cards then in pool. Pool is small time next to cardsand other hustles. And all they oter citys only had one or two great bankers and one pocket players. And I played a lot of eight ball that was a great game to play against good players. California only had a few good one pocket players Ronnie Marvan and richie florence. And I dont no one good banker from califonia. And a lot of citys didnt have any good one pocket players or bankers. Kentucky had a few good bankers but only a few good one pocket players. Florida had a few good onepocket players but I dont no off any good bankers fron florida. And new orleans had a few one pocket players Like blackie Hissler and neworleans al who johhy beat on the road when I was hustling with johnny and ray alto. So you see the truth is their wernt a lot of good one pocket players in the whole country. And then you iliminate two thirds of them because the wouldt play or had no money or couldnt get backed. Thir are a few that would gamble but most of all the player were brooks. And if the couldnt get of find a backer it would all be a waiste of time. So you see to go on the road to play a player who mite not even play because he has no mony. Does not make sense. And even when Ronnie was going to play me and we both loved the game he couldnt get a backer. And I did get some action from the Mexican click from califonia. But that didnt last long and the didnt want no more of my action.Chicago had lots of one pocket players and bankers and most of them were on the south side. And the had the best bankers and onepocket [players in the world their. And the only one who would have had a chance in banks was Eddie taylor. And in one pocket the only one who would have had a chance was Ronnie allen and Jersy red or Hitchcook from oklahoma. THe rest of the playes would have finished second. BUt their were not to many great one pocket player or bankers in the country. And their was a lot of moey if Freddys Club. And if some one was their playing in a tournament. Why would you leave town if you could win a hundred thousand dollares? The only reason the were their was because of the tournament. Not to gamble. JUst like today the are their for the tournament not to hustle pool. Even though their are a few people that will still gamble. But their are no Jimmy spiers around or air plain or garr or james justice. You need mone to make gambling and action great and that what they Rack and north shore had. The bet more money then all the pool rooms put together in the whole country. So why would I leave all the action to go and look for a player who will play and has money. And I was in on all the great winning action can you figure it out yet.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
cashrider said:
l'm sure fear had a part in this, ......... l'm not sure what the fear was of........
The fear was the people and the atmosphire and everybody lost. JUst like when Joey spath told all those champions at the us open to come down to bensingers and play. The only one that showed up was Jersy Red and he was a great player. And If somebody couldnt find me in bensingers you werent their. Because I was theri every day. And if a player or action would come in I would get a phone call. And Reno had all the suckers locked up. And their were other player their like Gen Danniels RAy dooly Lennie tall al poney Mexican Johhny Canadian Pet and many more. Player were scared to death of Bensingers mabe you should ask them what the were afraid of. And even all the sweeters scared the players. I dont no of one player that came into bensingers and one the money. And if their was action and a player who wanted to play one pocket or banks the whols south side would come to play. Because the new people were to scared to go on the south side to play them. And its the un knowen that scares people. Like hevan and hell. And that is what scares the FBI is the un known. And if you want my chalange but up the money and learn what you never knew. I cannot make you a beleiver untill you see they truth. It is hard to belive if you dont no what someone is talking about and I understand your point. Its like I am from Missourie and you have to prove it to me. THats ok. But I am not going to do it free. And I am giving it up way to cheap.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
cashrider said:
..........Artie must be resting,but he may be a light sleeper, uh oh.........
I am sorry that you had to play onepocket all those yeares without knowing the correct way to play. And you would have played so much better and enjoyed the game a lot more. BUt all good player feel the way that you do. And you are intitled to your opinion. I will not change your opinion because only you can do that. But whether you belive it or not I will take the bet. And If Billy wants to play against you and Grady its ok with me . And I dont no how you play or who you are. Billys word is good enough and I havent played any pool. All I am going to say I will play I will let Billy make the call. And I hope we will bet something. And I repeat I have not talked to Billy and he will answer on the internet if he wants to play. If he does not answer than I will take it as a no and their will be no game. And If you and Grady want to play partners banks I will play with Freddy. And again I will leave it up to Freddy if he wants to play as my partner. Because I play patetick know. And Bugs played me banks 9 to 5 when I was plaYING GOOD AND WE BROKE EVEN. i will play eitheir game or both games because I love playing long sessions and I no Billy and Freddy get tiered fast. And I am a firm beliver Knowledge is worth more then money.we spend our money but we will always have our knowledge. And I said I will improve anyones game by 10% or more I will bet on that to if someone wants to take the bet. CAn anyone else say that and bet on it? And that goes for todays champions.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
John,

I, for one, would be very surprised if there were a "Holy Grail" of one pocket. Arty B. is somewhat complimentary about the great player's of his era,(even though he played VERY few of them) however his main hero appears to be Arty himself. Nothing wrong with having a healthy ego, but to praise the great one pocket player's, past and present, in one sentence, and in the next, say that HE is the only one who ever REALLY knew the game, is just a little hard for me to take.
Like you John, I consider myself a pretty solid student of the game. And also like you, I HAVE squared off with some of the best.
Apparently the Beard also believes in this "magic" formula. If I were in my prime, and could afford it, I really doubt that I'd be buying $30,000 worth of snake oil.( Arty does admit to being a con man, doesn't he ?)
I would also question his take on Chicago being the center of the One Pocket universe. Didn't a Few good player's come out of Oklahoma, Texas, and both Coast's ? Chicago certainly might be the "center" of egoist's who think they are a lot smarter than than us "common" folk's. :rolleyes: JMHO

Dick I would tell you all the great players I played and beat but you would only say I was braging but I beat a lot of them and they ones that one are very few and the second time around when I went into gear that was the end of them playing anymore. I no you dont under stand what that means going into gear. To me that means playing they game perfect. Witch no body belives or thinks or knows how its done. I never played me real game tell I played a freez out oor long session. Bugs told me that I knew something that nobody else ever knew but he never said nothing because he didnt want to knock my game. And you can belive me or not. Bugs said I was the only guy he couldnt beat. And he could never figure out why. And Eddie taylor would not play Bugs one pocket. And ROnie played Bugs 3 times and bugs won twice. And bugs and Taylor played banks twice and Bugs won once And Taylor won once. And this all comes from Bugs. And Bugs was a real man and not a bragger he was after one thing too the money Just like Ronnie if you are not after the money then why are you playing. All the Gunnslingers I no all die broke. Is that what you want to leave your children at the end of your journey nothing? Or maybe you can tell them what a great player you were. The wont care one bit. Just like all our pictures we have the dont mean anyting to anybody but us. And if a stranger gets the pictures he will through them all in the garbage. Thats the way it is. THe only thing that is real is the momont we live. Life is great if we live it.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Art said:
The fear was the people and the atmosphire and everybody lost. JUst like when Joey spath told all those champions at the us open to come down to bensingers and play. The only one that showed up was Jersy Red and he was a great player. And If somebody couldnt find me in bensingers you werent their. Because I was theri every day. And if a player or action would come in I would get a phone call. And Reno had all the suckers locked up. And their were other player their like Gen Danniels RAy dooly Lennie tall al poney Mexican Johhny Canadian Pet and many more. Player were scared to death of Bensingers mabe you should ask them what the were afraid of. And even all the sweeters scared the players. I dont no of one player that came into bensingers and one the money. And if their was action and a player who wanted to play one pocket or banks the whols south side would come to play. Because the new people were to scared to go on the south side to play them. And its the un knowen that scares people. Like hevan and hell. And that is what scares the FBI is the un known. And if you want my chalange but up the money and learn what you never knew. I cannot make you a beleiver untill you see they truth. It is hard to belive if you dont no what someone is talking about and I understand your point. Its like I am from Missourie and you have to prove it to me. THats ok. But I am not going to do it free. And I am giving it up way to cheap.

Artie,

You have finally pounded me into submission. I will send you the 30K, to learn one pocket YOUR way. Do you accept PayPal ?
Seriously, I totally agree with your evaluation of hustling pool. It is usually a dead end street. I knew that from day one, but I hung in there until about age 40 or so. Wouldn't trade what it taught me for anything.
I also often travelled with card or dice men like you say, it gives you a double shot. I also avoided most tournaments too. I prefered playing for cash. I did not zero in on 1P till I was 28 or so.
So after all is said and done, we DO have a bit of common ground, except you wasted your time making money. :)
I don't know how old you are Artie, ( Freddie says around 60 ?) but most of the poster's on here know how old I am, and it sucks !
However, we only live about 30 min. apart (by air) 5 hrs. by car.
If you could see your way clear to play for somewhere under 30K per set, you could come visit me and we could tee it up for some one-hole. Of course, that would be AFTER I've taken your one pocket class. :rolleyes:

It's been fun, now I need a nap.

Dick

P.S. I missed your last post Artie. Just let me say, I have, 4 son's, a daughter, 11 grandkid's, and 5 great-grandchildren.
(fortunately, not a pool player in the bunch) I've never been wealthy, but I only hope your life has been as happy, and contented, as mine was, and still is. My wife and I are both retired, and comfortably able to enjoy some traveling. We plan a motorhome trip to DCC this coming year. Maybe we'll meet up.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Calling Vapros !!!!

Calling Vapros !!!!

I sure hope Vapros is O.K. He lives on a bayou near Houma, La. They took the biggest hit from Gustav. Hope you're allright Bill. Post as soon as you're up and running down there.

Dick

(Worthwhile thread hi-jack !)

yobagua

About a year ago I advocated a certain standard for entrance into a Hall of Fame. I argued against regional preference and just one persons loud opinion. Now its come to bite back. Alright I accept the fact that I dont have the knowledge and experience that many have. But now I see that the Hall of Fame is kind of a joke and actually a clique of players and an excuse to get together to talk about "who shot john" and I beat this guy, I beat that guy, and then I broke even with Efren.
This in my low level humble opinion is not a Hall of Famer. A Champion is one who not only excels in the game but brings something to it. Who not only plays but live as an example. I really wanted a Hall of Fame to be something special. Something to give recognition to those who are the elite. But its just a Mutual Admiration society that turned sour.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
yobagua said:
About a year ago I advocated a certain standard for entrance into a Hall of Fame. I argued against regional preference and just one persons loud opinion. Now its come to bite back. Alright I accept the fact that I dont have the knowledge and experience that many have. But now I see that the Hall of Fame is kind of a joke and actually a clique of players and an excuse to get together to talk about "who shot john" and I beat this guy, I beat that guy, and then I broke even with Efren.
This in my low level humble opinion is not a Hall of Famer. A Champion is one who not only excels in the game but brings something to it. Who not only plays but live as an example. I really wanted a Hall of Fame to be something special. Something to give recognition to those who are the elite. But its just a Mutual Admiration society that turned sour.
So as not to hijack this highly entertaining conversation, I'm going to start a new thread to reply. I had in mind an announcement about voting anyway.
My reply is here:
http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2128

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
One Pocket Art said:
I am sorry that you had to play onepocket all those yeares without knowing the correct way to play. And you would have played so much better and enjoyed the game a lot more. BUt all good player feel the way that you do. And you are intitled to your opinion. I will not change your opinion because only you can do that. But whether you belive it or not I will take the bet. And If Billy wants to play against you and Grady its ok with me . And I dont no how you play or who you are. Billys word is good enough and I havent played any pool. All I am going to say I will play I will let Billy make the call. And I hope we will bet something. And I repeat I have not talked to Billy and he will answer on the internet if he wants to play. If he does not answer than I will take it as a no and their will be no game. And If you and Grady want to play partners banks I will play with Freddy. And again I will leave it up to Freddy if he wants to play as my partner. Because I play patetick know. And Bugs played me banks 9 to 5 when I was plaYING GOOD AND WE BROKE EVEN. i will play eitheir game or both games because I love playing long sessions and I no Billy and Freddy get tiered fast. And I am a firm beliver Knowledge is worth more then money.we spend our money but we will always have our knowledge. And I said I will improve anyones game by 10% or more I will bet on that to if someone wants to take the bet. CAn anyone else say that and bet on it? And that goes for todays champions.

Now folks, behind this curtain you are going to see the most bizarre attraction you have ever seen — and I'm going to introduce her to you all right now. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Perfect 1Pocket! This beautiful lady is our star attraction, but she is so unusual we are banned from advertising her on the outside. And since she is not advertised on the outside, she is not included in your general admission ticket, there is an extra charge for what you are about to see. We make no apology for this policy, because when Perfect 1Pocket goes behind this curtain, and you go with her, you are going to view her entire body, and you will plainly see that, in fact: You've Been Playing 1Pocket Wrong Your Entire Life! You've heard your neighbors talking about the man who knows perfect 1pocket. Now you will see Perfect 1Pocket in its entirety, as bare as my right hand that you see before you right here. Now you must be between 18 and 80 years old or older to enter, because if you're under 18 you wouldn't understand it, and if you're over 80 you couldn't stand it. And since we do not wish to embarrass any of you sensitive folks, we have erected a partition down the center of the tent so that the men and women will be separated as they enter. The ladies will go to the right and the men to the left. When you enter I want you to go right up to the edge of the stage. Get as close as you can so that you can see Perfect 1Pocket in every detail as she displays herself to you, unadorned, unashamed, unlike anything you have ever seen before. The fee for this attraction is $30,000, it's time to go in right now. And those of you who are under 18 years of age, please step down to the other end of the tent where you will be entertained by our magician on the main stage.

With apologies to "Carny Lingo."

Lou Figueroa

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Dick Mc Morran said:
Cashrider, If you have ever experienced the "joy" of playing in Bensinger's, you would understand why nobody EVER went looking for ANYTHING there. Even Freddie and Grady will attest to that. :eek:

Dick
That's funny! Just last night playing in a hot & sticky poolhall, someone commented that it was just like Bensingers.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
yobagua said:
I disagree with you Yobagua, I think this thread is the best thread one pocket.org has ever had even though it's somewhat Jerry Springer-ish
I think Artie is in possession of knowledge that would be beneficial to every aspiring one pocket player. I appreciate the petty bickering of this thread because it is giving us insight on the inner workings of a great mind. Artie please keep contributing here. Phil Welch

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
philwelch said:
I disagree with you Yobagua, I think this thread is the best thread one pocket.org has ever had even though it's somewhat Jerry Springer-ish
I think Artie is in possession of knowledge that would be beneficial to every aspiring one pocket player. I appreciate the petty bickering of this thread because it is giving us insight on the inner workings of a great mind. Artie please keep contributing here. Phil Welch
One pocket is realy a hustlers game not just a tournament game One pocket is the only pool game that as parte of all the other games in it. It has Banks it has Straight pool running balls.It has shooting like nene ball. It has Defense and offense. It has everything a lot ot thingking. And its not like nine ball were you allways no what ball you shoot. Or bank pool were you only have the easiest bank to shoot or you only have one bank to shoot at. Or straight pool you only have one shot to shoot. Even though in straight pool you do have many choices to shoot at with a open rack. THe reason women play good nine ball is becuse their is not a hole lot of thinking. Just a lot off shooting and position. Were in one pocket it is more complex. And You can have a situation and you can ask 5 great players what to shoot and the will pick different shoots. But the qoustion is why the picked that shot. And let all 5 great player answer and see what the say. BUt the can not answer after the her the other players answers. THe all have to answer without having herd the other players answers. And then you can have aperson reed all the answers and see witch one is the best and witch one is correct and why is it the correct answer. One thing about pool that people are not aware off is it does not matter who we are playing . Its what we do when it is our turn to shoot. And I can prove this. It does not mater who you are playig. Wether its Efren Cliff scott frost. Ronnie allen or Bugs in their prime. Its all about you and if you execute correctly none of them can win. So allways keep in mind that it is about you what you do not the fear that you are playing the best player. If you execute correctly and do you job correctly you will have nothing to fear. Weather you win or lose. You play your best and dont make any mistakes and you will feel great about your self wether you won or lost. You can only do your best and only you will no if you did your best. Or if you slackt on it. REmember pool is about you when you are at the table. THeir is nothing you can do when the other person is shooting. You have to perform when it is your turn at the table. So you see the game is about what you do at the table. Not your opponent. Its all about you. And I would recomened a few players to the hall of fame like Scott Frost Cliff Jointer. Marven Henderson and Mexican Johhny.These people have given their life to pool. And the desirve every bit of the hall of fame. WE need to foucus on the positive because in lif nobody is perfect. And I have mad thousands of mistakes and I will keep making mistakes as long as I live. If we are not making any mistakes then we are not living. THat is how we learn by our mistakes and WE are all human. The Hall Of Fame is great and the caracters are even greater because of the unusual lives the have lived. And every one has their faforite players in all sports and games. And I can tell you this weather you belive it or not it will only get better. And the other hall of fame is only about the greatest tournament players. And the caracters in the one pocket and bank pool are way different caracters then they straight pool and nine ball. And Minnesota Fats Proved that when he always got Willie Mosconies goat. And Willy got all the trouhpes and records and Minnesota got the glory and the love of the whole country because he was a real caracter not just a great player.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
One Pocket Art said:
One pocket is realy a hustlers game not just a tournament game One pocket is the only pool game that as parte of all the other games in it. It has Banks it has Straight pool running balls.It has shooting like nene ball. It has Defense and offense. It has everything a lot ot thingking. And its not like nine ball were you allways no what ball you shoot. Or bank pool were you only have the easiest bank to shoot or you only have one bank to shoot at. Or straight pool you only have one shot to shoot. Even though in straight pool you do have many choices to shoot at with a open rack. THe reason women play good nine ball is becuse their is not a hole lot of thinking. Just a lot off shooting and position. Were in one pocket it is more complex. And You can have a situation and you can ask 5 great players what to shoot and the will pick different shoots. But the qoustion is why the picked that shot. And let all 5 great player answer and see what the say. BUt the can not answer after the her the other players answers. THe all have to answer without having herd the other players answers. And then you can have aperson reed all the answers and see witch one is the best and witch one is correct and why is it the correct answer. One thing about pool that people are not aware off is it does not matter who we are playing . Its what we do when it is our turn to shoot. And I can prove this. It does not mater who you are playig. Wether its Efren Cliff scott frost. Ronnie allen or Bugs in their prime. Its all about you and if you execute correctly none of them can win. So allways keep in mind that it is about you what you do not the fear that you are playing the best player. If you execute correctly and do you job correctly you will have nothing to fear. Weather you win or lose. You play your best and dont make any mistakes and you will feel great about your self wether you won or lost. You can only do your best and only you will no if you did your best. Or if you slackt on it. REmember pool is about you when you are at the table. THeir is nothing you can do when the other person is shooting. You have to perform when it is your turn at the table. So you see the game is about what you do at the table. Not your opponent. Its all about you. And I would recomened a few players to the hall of fame like Scott Frost Cliff Jointer. Marven Henderson and Mexican Johhny.These people have given their life to pool. And the desirve every bit of the hall of fame. WE need to foucus on the positive because in lif nobody is perfect. And I have mad thousands of mistakes and I will keep making mistakes as long as I live. If we are not making any mistakes then we are not living. THat is how we learn by our mistakes and WE are all human. The Hall Of Fame is great and the caracters are even greater because of the unusual lives the have lived. And every one has their faforite players in all sports and games. And I can tell you this weather you belive it or not it will only get better. And the other hall of fame is only about the greatest tournament players. And the caracters in the one pocket and bank pool are way different caracters then they straight pool and nine ball. And Minnesota Fats Proved that when he always got Willie Mosconies goat. And Willy got all the trouhpes and records and Minnesota got the glory and the love of the whole country because he was a real caracter not just a great player.
Well said! You sound like you'd be a great teacher Artie unfortunatley teachers are grossly underpaid. You mentioned Reno in an earlier post he was my one pocket mentor. Although I never got to see you play I heard a great deal about you from Freddy,Reno, and some others. Did you teach Steve Jones? He was a good player. Your style of play interests me as it should every player. Freddy used to comment on how you couldn't run balls but would lock up great players with safety play. I'm dying here more from you and thanks for what you already have contributed. Phil Welch

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Art said:
Dick Mc Morran said:
John,

I, for one, would be very surprised if there were a "Holy Grail" of one pocket. Arty B. is somewhat complimentary about the great player's of his era,(even though he played VERY few of them) however his main hero appears to be Arty himself. Nothing wrong with having a healthy ego, but to praise the great one pocket player's, past and present, in one sentence, and in the next, say that HE is the only one who ever REALLY knew the game, is just a little hard for me to take.
Like you John, I consider myself a pretty solid student of the game. And also like you, I HAVE squared off with some of the best.
Apparently the Beard also believes in this "magic" formula. If I were in my prime, and could afford it, I really doubt that I'd be buying $30,000 worth of snake oil.( Arty does admit to being a con man, doesn't he ?)
I would also question his take on Chicago being the center of the One Pocket universe. Didn't a Few good player's come out of Oklahoma, Texas, and both Coast's ? Chicago certainly might be the "center" of egoist's who think they are a lot smarter than than us "common" folk's. :rolleyes: JMHO

Dick I would tell you all the great players I played and beat but you would only say I was braging but I beat a lot of them and they ones that one are very few and the second time around when I went into gear that was the end of them playing anymore. I no you dont under stand what that means going into gear. To me that means playing they game perfect. Witch no body belives or thinks or knows how its done. I never played me real game tell I played a freez out oor long session. Bugs told me that I knew something that nobody else ever knew but he never said nothing because he didnt want to knock my game. And you can belive me or not. Bugs said I was the only guy he couldnt beat. And he could never figure out why. And Eddie taylor would not play Bugs one pocket. And ROnie played Bugs 3 times and bugs won twice. And bugs and Taylor played banks twice and Bugs won once And Taylor won once. And this all comes from Bugs. And Bugs was a real man and not a bragger he was after one thing too the money Just like Ronnie if you are not after the money then why are you playing. All the Gunnslingers I no all die broke. Is that what you want to leave your children at the end of your journey nothing? Or maybe you can tell them what a great player you were. The wont care one bit. Just like all our pictures we have the dont mean anyting to anybody but us. And if a stranger gets the pictures he will through them all in the garbage. Thats the way it is. THe only thing that is real is the momont we live. Life is great if we live it.

Artie,

About 7-8 years ago, one of my local adversaries, brought Ronnie over to play me some one hole. He played me 9/8. With me giving up a ball to the sharking, and, 5 yrs. in age, I felt like I was spotting him. We played a race to 8 for 2K with some serious side action. He jumped out ahead, and had me down 7 to 1. I "caught a gear" and won 7 in a row, to win the cash. So don't say I don't know what it means to catch a "gear".
Furthermore, I then staked him (RA) to play a local, that he should have robbed, and watched about half my winning's go down the tube.
I don't like blowing my own horn, but you forced my hand. Ronnie is still around, (as is his stakehorse) to verify my story. It's very easy to tell our war stories on this forum, but you'll find out, I WON'T say anything I can't substantiate. Unless of course, the principles are "pushing up daisies". :eek: Then we are allowed to take our best shot. :)

Here's to catching gears,

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
philwelch said:
Well said! You sound like you'd be a great teacher Artie unfortunatley teachers are grossly underpaid. You mentioned Reno in an earlier post he was my one pocket mentor. Although I never got to see you play I heard a great deal about you from Freddy,Reno, and some others. Did you teach Steve Jones? He was a good player. Your style of play interests me as it should every player. Freddy used to comment on how you couldn't run balls but would lock up great players with safety play. I'm dying here more from you and thanks for what you already have contributed. Phil Welch
Steve Jones was a young good looking cokie kid that whated to become a pool hustler not a tournament player. I showed him a lot but I NEVER SHOWED HIM THE CORRECT WAY TO PLAY ONE POCKET. BUt I did show him how to hustle and I had half his action. And I cant remember him losing playing anybody. And I told him when he improves to seel his game two balls under his real spead. And thats what he did. And he saved his moey and had a good bank role. And when I left town he started a buntch of bad habbits and started playing the horses and lost all his money and he got all depressed and couldnt handle life any more and took his life. I should have told him to book all those horse player and he would have had all the money. And might still be her today. But I never did and he would have had other problems if he booked. And he could have ended up in jail or dead because of his cookieness. BUt he was a good hustler and he listened to me and never quistioned me he just did what I told him. I liked Steve Jones and I will allways remember him as my friened and the cookie kid who couldnt handle his life. And everybody that new him liked him and admiered his cookieness. You were great Steve Jones. And I am soory you didnt get to live your full life. And you were part of this great world and nobody can take that away from you.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
One Pocket Art said:
Steve Jones was a young good looking cokie kid that whated to become a pool hustler not a tournament player. I showed him a lot but I NEVER SHOWED HIM THE CORRECT WAY TO PLAY ONE POCKET. BUt I did show him how to hustle and I had half his action. And I cant remember him losing playing anybody. And I told him when he improves to seel his game two balls under his real spead. And thats what he did. And he saved his moey and had a good bank role. And when I left town he started a buntch of bad habbits and started playing the horses and lost all his money and he got all depressed and couldnt handle life any more and took his life. I should have told him to book all those horse player and he would have had all the money. And might still be her today. But I never did and he would have had other problems if he booked. And he could have ended up in jail or dead because of his cookieness. BUt he was a good hustler and he listened to me and never quistioned me he just did what I told him. I liked Steve Jones and I will allways remember him as my friened and the cookie kid who couldnt handle his life. And everybody that new him liked him and admiered his cookieness. You were great Steve Jones. And I am soory you didnt get to live your full life. And you were part of this great world and nobody can take that away from you.
I remember a time when Richard Bitalis was in town for a 3cushion tournament
and he stopped at The Chicago Billiard Cafe and watched Freddy playing Steve and he was so thoroughly entertained by the banter and the antics. It is a shame Steve left us so early, I remember when he started having his problems and thought he may have to go to jail he didn't know howto cope.
It's too bad he couldn't have gotten through that time he had his whole life ahead of him.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Hey guys if you do have this partners challenge I will live stream it on my site from here in Phoenix to all the guys out there who would love to see it as I would myself being a one pocket tramp.Dick knows how to get ahold of me,hey Dick when we going to play so I can get some of that knowledge? :)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
One Pocket Art said:
Artie,

About 7-8 years ago, one of my local adversaries, brought Ronnie over to play me some one hole. He played me 9/8. With me giving up a ball to the sharking, and, 5 yrs. in age, I felt like I was spotting him. We played a race to 8 for 2K with some serious side action. He jumped out ahead, and had me down 7 to 1. I "caught a gear" and won 7 in a row, to win the cash. So don't say I don't know what it means to catch a "gear".
Furthermore, I then staked him to play a local, that he should have robbed, and watched about half my winning's go down the tube.
I don't like blowing my own horn, but you forced my hand. Ronnie is still around, (as is his stakehorse) to verify my story. It's very easy to tell our war stories on this forum, but you'll find out, I WON'T say anything I can't substantiate. Unless of course, the principles are "pushing up daisies". :eek: Then we are allowed to take our best shot. :)

Here's to catching gears,

Dick
I dont mean nothing twords you Me going into gear is different then you going into gear. And the only wat we could both describe going into gear we would both have to explain what that means. And I am not douhgting you or challanging what you said because I dont no what hapaned. So all I can do is take your word and I do belive you because I have no reason not to belive yopu again because I was not their and I dont no what happened.And if that is what happened you should be proud of your accomplish ment. And it is a great feeling doing that and a great memory. I am happy for you and proued of your great come back. And I dont want you to be ofended because when I go into gear the only one that knowes what I am doing when I go into gear is me. And I never want to judge people thats not my job thats gods job to judge people.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
Hey guys if you do have this partners challenge I will live stream it on my site from here in Phoenix to all the guys out there who would love to see it as I would myself being a one pocket tramp.Dick knows how to get ahold of me,hey Dick when we going to play so I can get some of that knowledge? :)
I dont think the game will happen becaus Billy has not responded. And if Billy does not want to play its Ok wioth me. Its Billys call maybe he is busy with the election?