most entertining players

unoperro

Verified Member
George Fels latest column

George Fels latest column

The Geo Fels column for the July issue of the Billiard Digest is available online for view at this link: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=151

It coincidentally contains stories about some of the characters/personalities in the pool world.

Contained within is a funny story that involves our own guy, the Beard, and some of his antics at Bensingers.

Bozman
Thanks for this link. I thought I read all of Fels columns but this was new to me.

unoperro

Verified Member
From az land there is a thread on "barbox monsters". Matlock is praised as 1 who overpowered the table and was exciting to watch as he would sometimes shake the table up to attain something more workable. Pattern racking,slow precision play,and always playing safe can be appreciated but really isn't exciting to watch. Booming breaks and breaking up clusters,potting balls off billiards,caroms,banks,kicks or any combination of them,makes for captivating play. IMHO

I got in a game with a guy who played a little worse then I do. Cheap $5 9ball on a big table. He had a friend with him who was a minor league baseball player and a great athlete. The friend saw a very good player on a table practicing and said I want to play him.
So the ballplayer and.pool player decide on a cheap race with the ballplayer getting the wild 8. Guy I am playing is more interested in that game then ours so we quit and watch. Now I know the minor leaguer ain't getting there so I side bet with the guy I had been playing. Only thing is I give up the wild 7 and the wild 8. Still the same 5 a game . 6 games later I am up 30 and I tell the guy ok wild 6,7 8,and the last 3. He agrees to this but wants to double up. The pool player is a friend of mine and he hears what we are doing. This guy never gets out of line and is rock solid. Never takes a flyer, caution is the better part of valor type.
He flat out ran over the guy. He over powered that table like few can do and had never shown that he was capable of.
Still 1 of the most exciting displays I have ever seen. (Not just because there was a little cheese in it for me)

The minor leaguer told him afterwards "that was most impressive,I can appreciate your skillset".

Boxing isn't very exciting if all they throw are jabs.😉

Last edited:
Reactions: lll