My match with Shawn Putnam at DCC

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
I win game 1, Shawn wins game 2, i win game 3, I am playing very good banks, nothing is hurting, i am not tired, got a good night's sleep. Even make a straight back bank with my right hand. I am a left handed pool player, making twice across the sides, 2 railers into the corner, making a lot of unusual bank shots.
I got him 4 banks to one, i am on the hill, do not get a makable bank shot this game, he banks out and ties the score 2 games each. I get to 4 , he has 3 banks, i jaw up the 8 ball in the left hand pocket near the spot so he can't bank out on me. To my utter shock and dismay i played a safety from 9 foot away and ended up scratching. Shawn comes to the table and fires in the straight back bank. I went from being a 90 percent favorite to win, to being a 90 percent favorite to lose. The scratch cost me the match, i should have walked to the end of the table and took a closer look at the ball i was attempting to play safe on. Shawn complimented me, and said you play a strong game of bank pool.
I told him i have been playing the game for 55 years. I am 67, he is 39.
oh well, hope to be back next year for a chance to redeem myself. Jim

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
well done

well done

No justice at all after those banks you made.The good news is most of the time you will be very happy with those shots.I make them sometimes but maybe never altogether like that.Are you not the guy that plays Truman???I forget,nevertheless,keep on keepin on,Bob

John Brumback

Verified Member
Big Jim said:
I win game 1, Shawn wins game 2, i win game 3, I am playing very good banks, nothing is hurting, i am not tired, got a good night's sleep. Even make a straight back bank with my right hand. I am a left handed pool player, making twice across the sides, 2 railers into the corner, making a lot of unusual bank shots.
I got him 4 banks to one, i am on the hill, do not get a makable bank shot this game, he banks out and ties the score 2 games each. I get to 4 , he has 3 banks, i jaw up the 8 ball in the left hand pocket near the spot so he can't bank out on me. To my utter shock and dismay i played a safety from 9 foot away and ended up scratching. Shawn comes to the table and fires in the straight back bank. I went from being a 90 percent favorite to win, to being a 90 percent favorite to lose. The scratch cost me the match, i should have walked to the end of the table and took a closer look at the ball i was attempting to play safe on. Shawn complimented me, and said you play a strong game of bank pool.

Hey big Jim,I know It won't make you feel any better but he beat me 2 years In a row In some of the early DCC's.I would leave him glued to the end rail and he would jack up and just fire straight backs in like they were hangers.Even knowing he was going to sell out a bunch of easy cross sides and cross corners. I asked him a few years later If he remembered those sets
and he said oh yeah I just didn't know who you were.LOL

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
banks

banks

Thanks John, i just felt bad to lose after playing one of my best matches i have played in a while, lol. That was brutal the way they played out the final bank pool rounds. I know you had to be exhausted. I finally gave up and went home at 0130 am, got to bed around 0300 am. What time did it finally get over?
Sorry you didn't win the banks this year. Jim

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Big Jim said:

He stayed in my room this year for the 9 ball and one hole, he mentioned one real tough match in the banks, I bet your match is the one he mentioned to me. Shawn is a class guy. Glad you played a good match with him. He said that he is playing really good now, he has been working hard at his game.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
usblues said:
No justice at all after those banks you made.The good news is most of the time you will be very happy with those shots.I make them sometimes but maybe never altogether like that.Are you not the guy that plays Truman???I forget,nevertheless,keep on keepin on,Bob
I play with Truman some, i beat him a set in a bank tournament once.'
Jim