My Personal One Pocket Wall Of Fame

kanzzo

Verified Member
We leave in a great time of incredible possibilities to learn this wonderful game. With platforms like Accu-Stats and PoolactionTV I have still access to great teachers of One Pocket, even though some of these teachers are not even alive anymore. I always liked being surrounded by nice pictures of my One Pocket teachers when practicing in my pool room.

Stumbled over the same idea shortly reading the book “Steal Like An Artist” from Austin Kleon. Here is an excerpt:

book.jpg

Climb Your Own Family Tree

Marcel Duchamp said, “I don’t believe in art. I believe in artists.” This is actually a pretty good method for studying - if you try to devour the history of your discipline all at once, you'll choke.

Instead, chew on one thinker (writer, artist, activist, role model) you really love. Study everything there is to know about that thinker. Then find three people that thinker loved, and find out everything about them. Repeat this as many times as you can. Climb up the tree as far as you can go. Once you build your tree, it’s time to start your own branch.

Seeing yourself as part of a creative lineage will help you feel less alone as you start making your own stuff. I hang pictures of my favourite artists in my studio. They’re like friendly ghosts. I can almost feel them pushing me forward as I’m hunched over my desk.

The great thing about dead or remote masters is that they can’t refuse you as an apprentice. You can learn whatever you want from them. They left their lesson plans in their work.

kanzzo

Verified Member
Finished redecorating my pool room and with permission of Steve Booth used his photos for my personal One Pocket Wall of Fame. This is what it looks like now. Wanted to share my favourite pictures since having hundreds of photos to choose from can be a little intimidating.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

These are all incredible great photographs and I thought I might be able to inspire someone else planning to put some of this great pictures to decorate his pool room or pool club.

kanzzo

Verified Member
So here is the list of players that made it to my Wall of Fame with a link to the photo from Steve Booth’s site poolinaction.com. If you love some of the pictures same way as I do, I am sure Steve is happy to sell some more of his pictures and am pretty sure that these profits will somehow find a way back to the One Pocket community.

Players that made it to my Wall of Fame:

Bill Incardona
Danny Di Liberto
Grady Mathews
Shane Van Boening
Santos Sambajon
Cliff Joyner
Jeremy Jones
Niels Feijen
Johnny Archer
Raphael Martinez
Efren Reyes
Alex Pagulayan
Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna
Joe Long
Francisco Bustamante
Sandor Tot*
Earl Strickland
Tony Chohan
Shannon Daulton
Chris Gentile
Scott Frost
John Schmidt
Ronnie Alcano
Nick Varner
Jose Parica
Dennis Orcollo
Corey Deuel

My favorite player to watch is Alex Pagulayan by the way and this is my favorite picture from Steve Booth's site:

alex jpg.jpg

Last edited:

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Way cool!
First time I've ever seen The Terminator (Niels) on a top 1p list. Not questioning you, just never seen him play. I'll have to look up some matches.
Nice job.

kanzzo

Verified Member
Some Players (like Sandor Tot, Freddy "The Beard", Johnny Archer and Niels Feijen) earned their place more through their contribution in other games. So you are right about One Pocket not being his strongest game.

Niels mostly because of his straight pool. He did have some high finishes in Derby City One Pocket though.

Freddy as top notch commentator on Accu-Stats

Archer - well, the (9-Ball) player of the 90s.

And Sandor is a long time trainer.

Edit:
I might exchange some pictures with time. Fedor Gorst and Chip Compton might take a place (instead of Archer and Feijen) so it really becomes a One Pocket Wall Of Fame and I find another wall in my house for straight pool featuring

Thorsten Hohmann, Johnny Archer and Niels Feijen :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Finished redecorating my pool room and with permission of Steve Booth used his photos for my personal One Pocket Wall of Fame. This is what it looks like now. Wanted to share my favourite pictures since having hundreds of photos to choose from can be a little intimidating.

View attachment 441952

View attachment 441953

View attachment 441954

View attachment 441955

These are all incredible great photographs and I thought I might be able to inspire someone else planning to put some of this great pictures to decorate his pool room or pool club.
I did this in my basement, about 30 years ago. I always felt like if all of the greatest players ever, were there with me, how could I not practice to the best of my ability. I still say hello to them when I go down there, although it's been quite a while since I could practice.

kanzzo

Verified Member
I did this in my basement, about 30 years ago. I always felt like if all of the greatest players ever, were there with me, how could I not practice to the best of my ability. I still say hello to them when I go down there, although it's been quite a while since I could practice.
Very nicely said. It's: how can I take a stupid shot if all these players are watching me 😅

kanzzo

Verified Member
1634545657061.jpeg

I saw Joe Long up there too -- very cool!!

It's not necessary a list of best one pocket players but the ones I like most and learned the most from.

I never saw Jeremy Jones play. But his One Pocket commentary is best in the business for over a decade now.

And the guys JJ learned it from: best commentator duo ever on Accu-Stats: Bill Incardona and Grady Mathews.

So these guys earned their spot on my wall by sharing their knowledge as commentators (though they were very accomplished One Pocket players in their prime years).

Joe Long might play another level of One Pocket than most of the players on my list but he earned his spot because of his generosity in sharing his deep One Pocket knowledge (and I love the picture).

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
Way cool!
First time I've ever seen The Terminator (Niels) on a top 1p list. Not questioning you, just never seen him play. I'll have to look up some matches.
Nice job.
Niels Feijen came second to Alex Pagulayan in the 2016 Derby City One Pocket :)