Mystery Player at 1991 Legends Of 1P

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The Mystery Player makes an outstanding 8 ball run to the pocket near which he's standing.:
Mystery player1.jpg

Unfortunately he needed a 9th ball, and ended up here:
Freezes to 13.jpg

What sequence of balls do you suppose he used? His final back-cut spot shot to win the game will be shown and The Mystery Player shall be revealed...:cool:

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
stevelomako said:
Man that hand looks familiar.

It must be Cole Dixon...He's in every picture...:cool:

However I think its BB (or CBR as he's better known)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm thinking he started by banking the ball he is stroking at into the stack, and following with the cue ball to make the ball hanging in his opponent's pocket at the same time. He must have made the in-off and the hanging ball. Maybe shot the ball on the foot rail next, and must have had enough angle to get up behind those two stripes. That's now four balls. How am I doing so far, Doc?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not so

Not so

Frank Almanza said:
That hand belongs to Jersey Red.

Impossible. Red was a big man with fat fingers. The hand looks like mine, but I'm afraid to say so. You know DuckDick is always watching out for things like that.
That's my bridge, my fingers, I'm trying to recall the watch.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Frank Almanza said:
That hand belongs to Jersey Red.

Can't be Frank...Unless he switched and became a right hander...Red was left-handed...;)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Impossible. Red was a big man with fat fingers. The hand looks like mine, but I'm afraid to say so. You know DuckDick is always watching out for things like that. Those are my hands..

Beard

Thats true, Red was a big guy...But I remember him as having hands more like a piano player, or a surgeon...Those ugly hands, (with the deformed fingers) could well be those of a starving bank pool player...except he would be incapable of running 8 balls, in one pocket.....:D :D :D

"Head DuckDick" <---wishes Doc would 'fess up..

PS..Seriously, I still say they're the Red Rooster's hands...Also, Red (Breit) almost always played with his sport coat on, didn't he Rod ? But we know they aren't his, unless the picture somehow got mirrored or reversed.

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I'm thinking I remember this exact run out on Table 7 at the 91 Legends of One Pocket. I was in town for the "USB vs Firewire - The battle of the Hardware Autobahn" convention and mosey'ed on down to watch pool instead of getting a "lady".:) I was drinking heavily from the Bud Cans that night and faintly remember a conversation with Buddy Hall about how to rope a deer and convert it to a jackalope:eek: I could be wrong though.

So forget the hands... can anyone read the time on the watch? If it was 4:39 pm, I know!!!!!, I know !!!!:D

hand ??

hand ??

I don't want to offend anyone, but to me it looks more like a foot than a hand. Except for the wristwatch.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Clare said:
I don't want to offend anyone, but to me it looks more like a foot than a hand. Except for the wristwatch.

LOL. It's an ankle braclet.

They were playing at the "Dr. Soles Classic".

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
I'm thinking he started by banking the ball he is stroking at into the stack, and following with the cue ball to make the ball hanging in his opponent's pocket at the same time. He must have made the in-off and the hanging ball. Maybe shot the ball on the foot rail next, and must have had enough angle to get up behind those two stripes. That's now four balls. How am I doing so far, Doc?
You were the only one who took an interest in figuring out The Mystery Player's run. The sequence was: 2, 4, 15, 6, 8, 9, 3, 7, then underolled the CB and got stuck behind the 13 (as shown above).

The key shot to the run was after he banked the 2 ball cross corner. He cut the 4 in, caromed off the 8, the CB banked cross corner to knock in the hanger 10 ball. He then made the 15 with high right and got above the balls to continue the run. Buddy Hall exclaimed that it was a great shot.

They traded safeties, and the opponent made some balls; but this was The Mystery Player's out shot: he back cut it in for the win. ~Doc
Back cut game winner.jpg