Official sign up for our Satellite MOT at Buffalo 3 during the big pro Buffalo's One Pocket

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
OK, based on our earlier thread and suggestions, this what we have come up with for a mini MOT at the new Buff 3 location in Chalmette (formerly Lacy's Cue). The discussion thread can be found here

• A two phase member's only tournament (usual requirements from either the forum or our Facebook group). $100 Entry (plus green fee TBD) to be collected in New Orleans, with $500 added by attorney Joseph Long. I arrive Tuesday May 21 and will start collecting at that time, but please sign up here if you are planning to play because we may need to cut off entries due to time/format constraints. Thinking 24 player max.
  • This will be a two-day tournament, Friday May 24 and Saturday May 25, both days starting at 10 AM and planned to wrap up about 3-4 PM so we do not miss that much of the main Buffalo's Pro Classic.
  • Friday will be round-robin format, broken into groups of 4-6 players, with each player having one match with each other player in their group. Each match will consist of a single game of our standard onepocket.org One Pocket, with the possibility of a game of 1B1P to determine the break. (Vote at players mtg)
  • Saturday the top 8 players will return to Buff 3 for a single elimination playoff, standard One Pocket, races to 2. We will use our usual payoff formulas (1/4 of the field "in the money"), based on the actual number of players.
  • We can hold a calcutta if there is an interest -- most likely only for the final 8 players Saturday. The calcutta payouts will be much more top heavy -- most likely just the top 2 if we only do Saturday's field.
Player List
  1. kanzzo
  2. Mkbtank
  3. mhilton777
  4. JTompilot
  5. Espen
  6. Peter Lau
  7. Thomas Kirsch
  8. Al Markasky
  9. Lee Wallick
  10. Ed Neves
  11. Bob Beaulieu
  12. NH Steve
  13. Painter Ludwig
  14. Tobermory
  15. 1 HOLE NUT
  16. jokerley

Graphic coming (maybe :) )

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
lol, just wondering: how many joints did you guys have to smoke to come up with this format?

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lol, just wondering: how many joints did you guys have to smoke to come up with this format?

Lou Figueroa
The Friday format is stolen from the recent DCC One Pocket midnight mini — that’s how they did it and players seemed to like it (a game of 1B1P to determine the breaker, then a single game of regular 1P for your match). Seemed like a good way for us to do the RR portion with a bunch of players and limited time.

The two day format morning start with RR for the first day is to make it fair and straight forward for all the players taking the ride to Chalmette, so everyone plays all day (a short day) that first day, with only the winners needing to return for Saturday.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
The Friday format is stolen from the recent DCC One Pocket midnight mini — that’s how they did it and players seemed to like it (a game of 1B1P to determine the breaker, then a single game of regular 1P for your match). Seemed like a good way for us to do the RR portion with a bunch of players and limited time.

The two day format morning start with RR for the first day is to make it fair and straight forward for all the players taking the ride to Chalmette, so everyone plays all day (a short day) that first day, with only the winners needing to return for Saturday.

How many tables are available?

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe they have at least 12 tables that are 9', so with up to 24 players in a round robin, you would only be waiting for opponents -- never waiting for a table. The pocket sizes probably vary given that's they did when it was Lacy's as well.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I believe they have at least 12 tables that are 9', so with up to 24 players in a round robin, you would only be waiting for opponents -- never waiting for a table. The pocket sizes probably vary given that's they did when it was Lacy's as well.

Well them how about:

Friday
24 players
Six four man flights
Each flight gets two tables
Races to two
Top two finishers in each flight advance to Saturday
Ties decided by total balls scored or spot shot shoot out

Saturday
Six players
Single elimination races to two
Second round one player draws a bye

Lou Figueroa
or sumthin' like that

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We don’t know the player numbers yet. Seems like single games we can rotate more or less as needed so everyone plays all day and plays as many different members as possible. Single games in round robin format is not the same as single games in a standard elimination tournament don’t you think? I don’t see any need for a race to 2 in the RR anyway….

lfigueroa

Verified Member
We don’t know the player numbers yet. Seems like single games we can rotate more or less as needed so everyone plays all day and plays as many different members as possible. Single games in round robin format is not the same as single games in a standard elimination tournament don’t you think? I don’t see any need for a race to 2 in the RR anyway….

I have deleted a longer reply -- it's not worth it.

Ya'll have fun.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve & Lou,
If there are ties to be settled, then it has to be based upon balls scored against you, not on total balls scored, because in a tie they both scored the same amount of wins or balls.
Whitey
Yes, we will need to track balls scored by both players each game/match during the RR phase. I said groups of 5-6 above but I should have said 4-6, because 4 would be totally fine too. We might have time to do more than one flight of groups — as long as everyone plays the same number of matches I believe it works. That way we can all play all day Friday (until about 4 anyway).

We could skip the 1B1P aspect of the RR if at the player’s meeting the majority don’t mind just a flip or lag and want to go directly to a single game. I’m not locked in to the 1B1P for the break — but it fits the “mini” concept. And it was done at January’s DC for their midnight mini, with success. It had nothing to do with smoking joints lol. Their TD Steve McDonald came up with that format.

I’m thinking a 24 player max for the field, given the number of 9’ tables over there that should be ok. If we end up with a prime number sort of group, we will need to assign a bye or so I assume, because somehow you need all players to play the same number of games. If the groups don’t divide evenly into the same number of players, some groups might need to play a player a second game to get the games equalized. We would know that at the draw though.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Yes, we will need to track balls scored by both players each game/match during the RR phase. I said groups of 5-6 above but I should have said 4-6, because 4 would be totally fine too. We might have time to do more than one flight of groups — as long as everyone plays the same number of matches I believe it works. That way we can all play all day Friday (until about 4 anyway).

We could skip the 1B1P aspect of the RR if at the player’s meeting the majority don’t mind just a flip or lag and want to go directly to a single game. I’m not locked in to the 1B1P for the break — but it fits the “mini” concept. And it was done at January’s DC for their midnight mini, with success. It had nothing to do with smoking joints lol. Their TD Steve McDonald came up with that format.

I’m thinking a 24 player max for the field, given the number of 9’ tables over there that should be ok. If we end up with a prime number sort of group, we will need to assign a bye or so I assume, because somehow you need all players to play the same number of games. If the groups don’t divide evenly into the same number of players, some groups might need to play a player a second game to get the games equalized. We would know that at the draw though.

At the DCC you play whatever format they concoct -- it has nothing to do with what the players want or enjoy.

One ball one pocket is not one pocket.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Steve & Lou,
If there are ties to be settled, then it has to be based upon balls scored against you, not on total balls scored, because in a tie they both scored the same amount of wins or balls.
Whitey

Yes, of course -- it's the balls scored in the losses that need to be counted.

Even then there might need to be a tie-breaker of some sort.

Lou Figueroa

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve,
Obviously a draw to determine groups, and obviously you would like the groups to be of equal numbers, as say 4 in each group. But say you have 17 players and you want groups of 4 playing on 2 tables. 4 groups on 8 tables. The final group pairing drawn would have 5 players, and this would cause 4 extra games needed to be played, of which would take much more time than the other groups. This odd number group may need to finish up the next morning.
Or,
How about the 9th table being reserved for the odd number pairings to help move that odd pairing along when down time occurs among that grouping.
I believe you have it as the winner of each group goes to the final day. So that works also for the group of 5 players, because does it really matter if they played more, just the luck of the draw.

Just quickly brainstorming.
Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
At the DCC you play whatever format they concoct -- it has nothing to do with what the players want or enjoy.

One ball one pocket is not one pocket.

Lou Figueroa
Like I said, I’m fine with a vote at the player’s meeting just in case your sentiment about the 1B1P aspect is the prevailing sentiment. Does that mean you intend to be there or is this just sniping from someone not planning to play anyway? Either way I am fine with a vote however.

I did go back to the earlier thread where we bandied about format and although you posted in that thread several times you did not offer even a peep of comment about the format back in that thread when we were actually addressing it. Now you seem to be very interested, even though by your latest comments you seem to be saying you’re not going to be there in time to play Friday 🤔

You are certainly welcome to play, but this is the format: RR single games Friday (as many games as we can fit in from 10 to about 4) and Saturday single elimination finals consisting of short races for the final 8. 1B1P component Friday can be included or not based on a player meeting vote.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The final group pairing drawn would have 5 players, and this would cause 4 extra games needed to be played, of which would take much more time than the other groups.
If we have uneven group numbers, I would like to have the smaller groups play one extra game (random opponent — but that could be predetermined as the first match that comes up, you play that same player one extra time). This so all players will play the same number of games if possible. If the numbers are so odd we can’t make it come out even then some players could still get a “bye” right?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I think we can skip 1 ball one pocket and just do the RR.
I agree, for 1, there is a table usage time limit or approx. 5-6 hrs., and 2, if you lag for the break then that is a billiard skilled discipline as would be a game of 1b1p, with the same results being who breaks, but saves time
If there was not for a table time usage limit, then yes do both 1b1p and the 1 game RR. Seems a little tight to do both for a trial RR, and a very possible odd number of players RR.

I just noticed Steve's above post, and players meeting to decide format, so my post is just food for thought for those players attending.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
If we have uneven group numbers, I would like to have the smaller groups play one extra game (random opponent — but that could be predetermined as the first match that comes up, you play that same player one extra time). This so all players will play the same number of games if possible. If the numbers are so odd we can’t make it come out even then some players could still get a “bye” right?
I am trying to rap my head around this! Off the top of head, I can not see this working. Let's say 3 groups of 4, and 1 group of 5. If the groups of 4 play the next player up and give him another 3 games of play, how is that fair to the other 3 players in that group.
Meaning,
Say the player has a losing record, he now gets 3 games to improve his score, while the other players play 1 game, or am I missing something?

In a group of 4 players on 2 tables there will be down time waiting for one pairing to finish there game. Therefore the grouping of 5 players, or a grouping of 5 players, can play a match during this down time. So time wise it may help a 5 player grouping somewhat finish more on time.

Since 2 players of each group go to finale then I do not see why we need to make each grouping to play the same amount of games.

Between now and then you might be able to get a sense of how many players are going to sign up. That way you may be able to cut it off at an even # 16, 20, 24.
Whitey

Last edited: