One Pocket HOF discussion thread

Jimmy B

Verified Member
lets not forget the old timers...we all will be old timers one day...:)

yes. Larry,.. now from TEOPH

Marcel Camp:

For many years he played as well as anybody.

He knew the game of One Pocket as well as anybody alive. Camp was also a great character, a very funny man and a great money player. He always bet his own money, and bet sky high, and he also he also carried his total bankroll on his person. If he had 20k, it would be in one big lump in his pocket.

He never had more than one suit and one pair of shoes.. Two shirts and two pair of socks. He was always thinking about One Pocket.. One night Camp was over at Danny D's for dinner for some spaghetti and meatballs. When Danny put the platter of meatballs on the table, Camp eyed them carefully and said to his host, "I think I found a dead one"

Freddie The Beard said he deserved Hall OF Fame status, but that it would probably never happen... Well let's make it happen this year!!!!!!

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Vickery was a pretty good commentator; a good ole Columbus boy. Actually he should be about due to be released. I'll have to look that one up.

~Doc

He's been out for a while .
Early out for health problems I was told.
I was also told he moved to Florida a while back , nobody I know saw him come back to the main pool rooms after he got out.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
yes. Larry,.. now from TEOPH

Marcel Camp:

For many years he played as well as anybody.

He knew the game of One Pocket as well as anybody alive. Camp was also a great character, a very funny man and a great money player. He always bet his own money, and bet sky high, and he also he also carried his total bankroll on his person. If he had 20k, it would be in one big lump in his pocket.

He never had more than one suit and one pair of shoes.. Two shirts and two pair of socks. He was always thinking about One Pocket.. One night Camp was over at Danny D's for dinner for some spaghetti and meatballs. When Danny put the platter of meatballs on the table, Camp eyed them carefully and said to his host, "I think I found a dead one"

Freddie The Beard said he deserved Hall OF Fame status, but that it would probably never happen... Well let's make it happen this year!!!!!!

I spent a few weeks around Camp. like Fats he had a lot of very funny stories. He knew one pocket inside out and played great !
I saw a guy ask him for $20 bucks, he said sorry I've only got $860 I need $20 myself because I like Loyola tonight getting 6 points.
In Macon Beanie offered him 9/8 because he'd gained a lot of weight, Beanie went out to his car for his cue, Camp came over and bit Tex for $20 bucks, offered his watch, Tex didn't take it.
Camp said I've got $180 and want to have even money.
Stanton came back, put his cue together and said $100 OK ?
Camp said AW $200's good, Camp won the 1st 9 games, then 10 of 11 even up.
1963/64 Macon Ga, at the truck stop there.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I played Camp in Miami in 1967 or 68.... I was there to try and play Gleason or a pimp named Roe?.. Camp was an old man then and I was young... I wanted to play 9 ball, but he said he’d play me some $50.00 one pocket... I think this was at a place called Congress bowl... Well, I agreed to play and he beat me 6 games in a row and I left and went to the dog track... Figured I had a better shot at picking a dog than beating Camp... Nice man... good player...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I spent a few weeks around Camp. like Fats he had a lot of very funny stories. He knew one pocket inside out and played great !
I saw a guy ask him for $20 bucks, he said sorry I've only got $860 I need $20 myself because I like Loyola tonight getting 6 points.
In Macon Beanie offered him 9/8 because he'd gained a lot of weight, Beanie went out to his car for his cue, Camp came over and bit Tex for $20 bucks, offered his watch, Tex didn't take it.

I played Camp in Miami in 1967 or 68.... I was there to try and play Gleason or a pimp named Roe?.. Camp was an old man then and I was young... I wanted to play 9 ball, but he said he’d play me some $50.00 one pocket... I think this was at a place called Congress bowl... Well, I agreed to play and he beat me 6 games in a row and I left and went to the dog track... Figured I had a better shot at picking a dog than beating Camp... Nice man... good player...
jeff i didnt think you were old enough to cross paths with camp..:eek:
LETS GET MARCEL CAMP IN....:)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Jeff I was in Opalaka in 68 and did go to Congress. Diliberto was there. Who was that guy who dressed fancy in Obnoxious Green pants, flashy shirts and had BUG eyes, I was 20 then.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

I did my part Larry, I voted for him and Scott... Camp should be there, he deserves to be remembered as a great one pocket player...

Scott also for his knowledge of the game and his playing ability over the long haul... Sometimes we forget how well this man played and how much he advanced RA’s version of the game... He earned the Hall with his devotion and love of the game...

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I did my part Larry, I voted for him and Scott... Camp should be there, he deserves to be remembered as a great one pocket player...

Scott also for his knowledge of the game and his playing ability over the long haul... Sometimes we forget how well this man played and how much he advanced RA’s version of the game... He earned the Hall with his devotion and love of the game...

Although I didn’t know any of the deceased players I think some of them should go into the Hall of Fame. Every sport votes more than one player every year into their HOF. I voted for Camp, Ervolino, and the new kid Scott.

Camp probably played better 1P than half the guys already in the HOF.

bstroud

Verified Member

Rod,

Was that at the Gandy tournament?

I was there with Eddy Taylor. Played Camp some payball at the Truck Stop.
Snooker was my best game then. Broke even.

Taylor broke the ring 9 ball game. Sammy B. was also there.

Camp was a great player and deserves to be in.

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

Jeff; we must have just missed each other, I started going to North Miami beach in 69. The wiseguys from Rochester, NY had me come down to play, Mel the window washer, he had several crews working for him. I was only suppose to stay for a week, I stayed for 2 months with those guys and crew of hookers from Montreal at the, International Inn at the 79th st. causeway.

Made it down there for 9 winters in a row, what fun back then! Where I first met Danny D. and Big Bob Ogburn. as Jeff mentioned, Camp showed up there a few days a week, He was pretty heavy set then, along with Danny Gartner from, NYC, very good straight pool player.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Thanks jeff :)

beatle

Verified Member
lots of players from the northeast went down to congress every winter.
freddie was there a lot too. most came around and hung during the day and then went out to the bars to play as in those days bar action was great.
plus you had the race tracks to keep them all broke.

the best action was playing gin with the rich jews that came down at the fountain blue and edon roc hotels. and the beau rivage in bal harbor.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
lots of players from the northeast went down to congress every winter.
freddie was there a lot too. most came around and hung during the day and then went out to the bars to play as in those days bar action was great.
plus you had the race tracks to keep them all broke.

the best action was playing gin with the rich jews that came down at the fountain blue and edon roc hotels. and the beau rivage in bal harbor.

I got steered once in Orlando in those years, the pool room was closed, with paper on all the outside windows, went in and it was packed, lots of tables ground level. No name on the building.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Island mentioned Gin Players. I used to play the, 'little man' who did the, Phillip Morris; commercials on TV Gin and Tonk, you know, "Call for Phillip Morris!" His name was, Johnny or Jessie I believe. WE use to go over on the Bowling Alley side and sit on the cushioned benches between the lockers, his legs used to dangle off the sides!

JAM

Verified Member
I cast my votes in the poll.

I did vote for Scott Frost because his name is synonymous with one-pocket, always has been.

The other names, truth be told, I have heard of them, many of them, before, but I really do not know a lot about their legeacy.

This is quite sad when people pass away and their legacy fades a wee bit. The only memories we have and data comes from word of mouth, whereas today in the digital world, we have a lot of data about great players that will last ad infinitum.

Anyway, I voted and hope the results please everyone! :cool:

jay helfert

Verified Member
Damn, I wrote a long dialogue and it somehow got erased. This one will be shorter.

Johnny Ervolino - the best One Pocket player on this list! He was the best money player in New York at a time when there were many great players there. He was maybe an underdog only to Ronnie, Kelly and Taylor playing One Pocket, probably an equal to Boston Shorty and Jersey Red.

Scott Frost - has the highest top end of anyone on this list, but has had his ups and downs in his career. He gets in on his body of work in One Pocket. His DVD's are among the best ever produced on One Pocket and he never backed down from any other player, Efren, Orcullo and Alex included.

Marcel Camp - a great One Pocket player from an earlier generation. He was in the middle of all the action at Johnston City every year, making bets, creating odds and even playing himself. He loved playing partner's One Pocket and I saw him hook up with either Danny Jones or Danny Diliberto (he was Danny D's mentor in Miami) playing against Weenie Beenie and various partner's. Marcel screamed when he lost and celebrated when he won. He was the oldest guy in the game and the most animated.

Johnny Irish - at one time he was one of the top players alive, along with Willis, Lassiter and maybe George Rood. His prime years were before Johnny "Rag's" Fitzpatrick and Cincinnati Clem. Johnny was the mentor to all the great players who came out of the 7/11; Ervolino, Jersey Red, 9-Ball Richie, Shorty and New York Blackie.

kkdanamatt

Verified Member
From
Livingston, NJ
My Votes: Johnny Irish, Ervolino and Camp

My Votes: Johnny Irish, Ervolino and Camp

I saw Johnny Irish in 1962 (or 1963?) sleeping on a bench in McGirrs, which was downstairs on 8th Avenue and 45th Street.
He was in a deep snooze and looked rumpled and worn out.
I didn't know who he was, at the time.
It was around noon and the tables were jammed with businessmen on their lunch hour break.
Almost everyone was dressed in a suit and tie.
A sharp looking guy in his mid-40's walked in and asked Cigar John, the houseman, "if there is anybody here who wants to play some $10 one-pocket".
He got on a table, practicing one hole by himself, and banked in everything he shot. Beautiful smooth stroke.
Cigar John motioned to somebody "to go over and wake up Irish."
Out of a deep sleep, with no warming up, Irish demolished the stranger in three straight games.
I can't remember the scores, but I doubt the stranger made more than one or two balls per game.
The stranger paid Irish and left. I don't know who he was, but I never saw him again.
Irish went back to his bench and fell asleep very quickly.
A couple of weeks later, I saw Irish dozing in Paddy's 7-11 wearing the same rumpled suit.
But I never saw him play again.

It surprises me that Johnny Ervolino is not already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame. He was one of the top guns in NYC during the '60's. As has been mentioned before, his best game was 14.1, but his 1-Pocket knowledge was extensive.
Also, let's not overlook his "action activities." There are some who accused him of "doing business" sometimes, and that may have hurt his reputation.
Johnny "went away" for several years.
When he returned to society he was never the same player, although I did see him in the late 1980's run about 200 at the Golden-Q in Queens, playing Bob The Artist.
Ervolino was also a great commentator for 14.1 and 1-Pocket.
Nobody can ever forget his NYC accent and his raspy voice.
It was like rubbing two pieces of sandpaper together.

I'm also casting my vote for Marcel Camp, although I never saw him play. That may seem unreasonable to some of you, but I've heard enough about Camp from those whom I trust and respect to justify my vote.

Last edited: