One Pocket.org Meet-Up

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Just got back after 7 days at the DCC....

I'll write about some other DCC stuff later, but for now I just want to say that besides playing in the tournament, gambling, and watching great matches, I had a great time hanging out and bs'ing with our op.org forum members, all of them great guys - some that are my homeboys, some that I was meeting for the first time, others that I was seeing again after a year gone by....

Gulfport Doc
Pat Johnson
DWS
Freddy
Jay Helfert
JoeyA
Lou Figueroa
dmyroncox
Steve Booth
Grady
Fatboy
Chicago Mike
Billy Incardona
Markus from Austria
The Milkman
Roy and Chris from Norway - (they donated a few euros to the Ghost to do their part to help our struggling economy..:D)
BernieP - He plays very good - don't believe him if he says he doesn't...;)
Deeman - He looked great in his tux.
SJDick - Wish he was there longer - didn't have enough time to hang out with him, ( or get a donation from him...:(...:D )
gbru (George) - a very nice guy from Mobile.
Rob from L.A.
J.D. Dolan, and the rest of the Kalamazoo crew
John C. from D.C.

And last of all, jrhendy - John was a lot of fun to hang out with and we battled for 2 days playing One Pocket, trying to win the onepocket.org bragging rights, (not to mention some $$$) from each other....well, when the dust settled, we wound up even...:( - nobody got the bragging rights, so it's to be continued...

I apologize if I forgot anybody, Ghost

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I too enjoyed meeting many of the 1p.org guys. Had a few good conversations with OnePocketGhost (and got to meet his lovely lady Riva). Played a few games with him, even though he plays 2 balls better than I. Chatted with Bernie P. Bernie is an erudite guy, who makes keen observations, and plays excellent one-pocket. I watched a little of a tough 1P match he had with Bobby Hunter. Don't know how it turned out.

It was fun meeting DeeMan in the flesh. He has an irrepressible personality, and is a lot of fun to be around. Got to play a number of games with Lou Figueroa while he was waiting for one of his tournament matches. He even let me win a couple. Lou is a veteran 1P player, and very knowledgeable.

Roy Steffanson cracked me up. He loves to play and be in action. He was challenging anyone who could hold a cue-- either pro or average player. I'm surprised he didn't match up with Scott Frost! His partner Chris has a great sense of humor. He'd told me that he and Roy were the best two 1P players in Norway. Then he said that they were the ONLY two 1P players in Norway...:D

Got to chat with SJDick briefly at the HOF dinner. He just got there Tues., and I had to leave Wed. Looking forward to talking with him some more in the future. John Henderson was in motion constantly. He got real far in the bank pool tourny, and seemed to be matching up a lot in 1P. John is a great guy to be around. One always hears a zillion stories from him that were never heard before. Too bad the partners game never came off. Maybe next time.

It was great meeting everybody!

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
"T" and that rhymes with "P", and that stands for POOL.....

"T" and that rhymes with "P", and that stands for POOL.....

gulfportdoc said:
I too enjoyed meeting many of the 1p.org guys. Had a few good conversations with OnePocketGhost (and got to meet his lovely lady Riva). Played a few games with him, even though he plays 2 balls better than I. Chatted with Bernie P. Bernie is an erudite guy, who makes keen observations, and plays excellent one-pocket. I watched a little of a tough 1P match he had with Bobby Hunter. Don't know how it turned out.

It was fun meeting DeeMan in the flesh. He has an irrepressible personality, and is a lot of fun to be around. Got to play a number of games with Lou Figueroa while he was waiting for one of his tournament matches. He even let me win a couple. Lou is a veteran 1P player, and very knowledgeable.

Roy Steffanson cracked me up. He loves to play and be in action. He was challenging anyone who could hold a cue-- either pro or average player. I'm surprised he didn't match up with Scott Frost! His partner Chris has a great sense of humor. He'd told me that he and Roy were the best two 1P players in Norway. Then he said that they were the ONLY two 1P players in Norway...:D

Got to chat with SJDick briefly at the HOF dinner. He just got there Tues., and I had to leave Wed. Looking forward to talking with him some more in the future. John Henderson was in motion constantly. He got real far in the bank pool tourny, and seemed to be matching up a lot in 1P. John is a great guy to be around. One always hears a zillion stories from him that were never heard before. Too bad the partners game never came off. Maybe next time.

It was great meeting everybody!

Doc

Great meeting you too Doc. Things were crazy around there and not enough time to hang out with all our new 1P.org friends.
At least we got to meet most everybody, and at least say hello and put a face to the name.
People were griping about the room rates. Try staying on John, RA, and I's liquid diet at $8.00 a pop.
Great HOF banquet. (except for rigging the Cooney vote) ;) Thanks for a great time Steve.
Luckily, I never fired a shot. John H. played a few games with the Ghost, but they were hidden away in one of the tiny dungeons, and I didn't find them 'til it was over.
Lou F. escaped our challenge game, as did Joey A. Great job on Smorg's jacket Joey. He'll love it !!!
The closest I came to action was betting I was 10 yrs. older than Harry Platis. Luckily I didn't call his $500 challenge. (I am only 9 yrs. and 9 mos. older, but he knew that !) It was great to see him again. Wish he could have found time for a few games of the 1P game RA was trying to promote for me.

It was much like a 40-50 year H.S. reunion. Got to B.S. with Billy I., Grady, Tracy Joe, Flyboy,Jack and Barb Cooney, Steve Lomako, and many others from yesteryear. Those guy's sure look a lot older. ;)
Spent a lot of time with my old Shreveport crowd, Mike James, Bobby Yates, Hal Roy, and others of that ilk.
Cannot remember all the guys I saw there that I had not seen for over 30 years, it was a real pleasure.
On a sadder note, it was no fun at all hearing of the passing of some of the old gang. Some I knew of, some I didn't.

Got to spend some time with sweety pie Gwen Staton, Weenie Beanies daughter. Last time I saw her, she was in pigtails and braces. We called Alfie Taylor and we all wound up in tears, reminiscing about Beanie.

Deeman and Ace were as advertised, great guys to be around. Deewomen was very leery of him spending too much time with me. (where did that come from ?)

Great seeing Bill Porter again (40 some years gone by) and too many others to recall.
All in all, it was great fun, and I look forward to next year when I get my new eyes and wipe out all the young gun's one more time.
(It has been rumored that Jay Helfert may bar me from the 1P Ghost event.)

Dick <----loves to see old friends, and make new ones. :)

P.S. Congrats to John Schmidt for winning the One Pocket. However, he can win my house, both cars, and my kid's inheritance, if he wants to play Scott, One Pocket, or Darren Appleton, 10 ball....10 ahead for the cash. (sour grapes taste good, huh)

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It was great to catch up with old friends and meet new.

Sorry, I am under the weather and also buried in photos from DCC. Yeah, I caught many of you :)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
i had a great time meeting/seeing everyone I could that nite, many i have known for over 20 years(not long around here;) ) . I will be back next year for sure.

Mr. Beard, Grady, Jay, Billy were great on the Mic talking. I sat next to my buddy Truman Hogue for dinner and at another table before dinner, I just floated around the room to talk to many people as possible.

I hope next year there is a bit more space it was a bit cramped, but it was still my favorite nite at the Derby for sure!!!!

thanks to everyone,

sincerly

eric

Deeman

Verified Member
Too many people to mention....

Too many people to mention....

Doc, Ghost, Dick, John, Steve, Joey, Bernie, Grady, Chicago Mike, et al:

It is always a pleasure sharing your company and meeting the guys we have not ran into before.

John is a monster and a 24 hour a day guy, Dick is one of the most gratious guys I have ever met despite the fact DeeWoman thinks he's drop dead handsome (bad eyes, you know) :)

What other sport can you hang out and see the legends of your favorite game?

The real secret to keeping your money is to keep giving Dick those drinks so he forgets to ask you to play... :)

Great time....

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Deeman said:
Doc, Ghost, Dick, John, Steve, Joey, Bernie, Grady, Chicago Mike, et al:

It is always a pleasure sharing your company and meeting the guys we have not ran into before.

John is a monster and a 24 hour a day guy, Dick is one of the most gratious guys I have ever met despite the fact DeeWoman thinks he's drop dead handsome (bad eyes, you know) :)

What other sport can you hang out and see the legends of your favorite game?

The real secret to keeping your money is to keep giving Dick those drinks so he forgets to ask you to play... :)[QUOTE/]

Well guy's, My Card's fell a little short in winning the big game. It would have been real devestating if they hadn't covered the spread. (like bankruptcy:eek: )

It seems I spent more time in the Charlotte airport, waiting for the freezing rain to open up the Louisville AP, then I did in my room at the Horseshoe. Landed Tues. AM in Char....7 hrs. later in Louisville.

Is it not possible to hold that event on one of the other 300 days of the year when the weather is beautiful in KY and Indiana ?

Also, was a little miffed that I had timed my stay there to see the 1P finals (as did Bernie and many others) only to have them put off 'til after we had to leave. Lots of glitches their first year at the new venue. I'm sure they'll improve it next year.

So much for griping, the good far outweighed the bad, however if I go next year, I will definately bring the following items I forgot;
1-cell phone charger.
2-case of Yukon Jack (pre-shipped FedEx)
3-Laptop
4-Long-johns
5-earmuffs (multi-purpose, for the cold, and RA's bulls**t blocking)
6- $160 a day extra for drinks ( 20 X $8, at 1/2 oz. per shot)

RA asked me what kind of a roadman I was that I forgot my cel-charger.
I had to remind him that when John H. and I were on the road, PAY PHONES hadn't even been invented yet. :eek:

Great meeting Mark Griffin, but I did forget to mention to him that we have a hugh new convention center here in Phoenix (for future DCC consideration) where it is 70 degree Golfing weather this time of year.
Also the center is surrounded by good hotels, the furthest of which is much closer than my room at the Horseshoe was to the DCC. (dead serious about that Mark.)

Deeman, numbing me with alcohol only makes me braver. So now you know how much I was in fear of your 1P prowess.

New nickname------Charlotte Dick <----Loves hanging out in airports, but at least the drinks were cheaper than DCC.

Last edited:

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
NH Steve said:
It was great to catch up with old friends and meet new.

Sorry, I am under the weather and also buried in photos from DCC. Yeah, I caught many of you :)

Steve----- Thanks for your dedication and hard work to this site and one pocket in general. Sorry I didn't get to introduce myself. I saw you a couple of times but you were busy and I didn't interrupt. The pictures are great! Hope you are feeling better.

Unfortunately, I did meet the "Ghost".....and he gave me a few lessons on how a ghost moves. Seriously though...... he does move reaaaal good. I was glad to donate some expense money to him after my bad experience at the crap table. "Keep it in the family".

Thanks "Ghost". It was a pleasure meeting you. Don't worry though...... I will be more fine tuned the next time we meet.

It was a pleasure to meet Roy and Chris from Europe. Nice people. Also, I did get to say hello to San Jose Dick Just before he left for the airport. I will catch-up with you early next time Dick and I will buy you a steak.

Also, it is always to good to see "Doc", John Henderson and others who I left out. Also, I got to meet Freddy the Beard and thank him personally for his outstanding books and videos.

Thanks to the staff and all the workers who set things up for a great tournament. I know shifting sites was difficult but all in all it was a rewarding experience for me.

Thanks........george