One-pocket terminology

Skin

Verified Member
What is the diffenece between x-and-stop and x-and-safe?

If the game is three-and-stop for example, does that mean you get to run three and then you have another shot where if you sink a ball in your hole it comes back up and it's the opponent's shot afterwards?

And does three-and-safe mean your inning is over after making the 3rd ball in the run?

Skin

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Skin said:
What is the diffenece between x-and-stop and x-and-safe?

And does three-and-safe mean your inning is over after making the 3rd ball in the run?

Skin

Skin, you've got it a bit backwards....3-and-safe means: after running a total of 3 balls maximum, you then get to shoot a safety to conclude your inning....

3-and-stop means: after running a total of 3 balls maximum, your inning is over, and your opponent shoots from wherever the cueball ended up after you made your 3rd ball.

- Ghost

Skin

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Skin, you've got it a bit backwards....3-and-safe means: after running a total of 3 balls maximum, you then get to shoot a safety to conclude your inning....

3-and-stop means: after running a total of 3 balls maximum, your inning is over, and your opponent shoots from wherever the cueball ended up after you made your 3rd ball.

- Ghost

Thanks, Ghost. That is why I asked.

Niks < :D

beatle

Verified Member
always make him play x and stop never give him the safe option, if you are the one getting the spot. plus get balls along with it. make better players carry so much weight they fall down.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
However many and safe.

However many and safe.

Skin, all I'v ever played is 1 and safe, and two and safe, 1 and safe against very average players, they play me 8-6 and the break. Good players 8-4 and the break. Guys I can give 10-7, 2 and safe is about an even game. I post this as you may be thinking about giving someone this game. 3 and safe can't be much as you might get out in 3 innings.
Rod.
PS, I've played 1 and stop, and 2 and stop, against much weaker players.

beatle

Verified Member
one and stop is tough as they chicago break the balls all the time and you get your one and may not even be able to sew them up after it.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
beatle said:
one and stop is tough as they chicago break the balls all the time and you get your one and may not even be able to sew them up after it.

one and stop and one and safe, the guy making only one must have the break.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
beatle said:
whats a "chicago break"??? i havent heard that before.

beatle

Verified Member
chicago break is when you break them wide open, same as a rotation break.

even if the guy giving the spot of one and stop to the bad player breaks, the other guy will crash the balls open on the next shot after the break and give you one ball out of it unless the cue ball goes somewhere good for him.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
beatle said:
chicago break is when you break them wide open, same as a rotation break.
That's interesting. With all those reprobate squeezers up there, I would have thought the "Chicago break" would be like the break shot in 14.1.:D

Doc

beatle

Verified Member
one of the best games to take off another bad player was to play chicago. we had pay balls of 1,5,8,10,15. this way you never had to run but a few and could s--t in a couple as well. whoever you played was always in the action and getting as many or almost as many shots as you.

also it was played a lot when we had numerous people in the game. also called pay ball sometimes. but then whoever was the best player at running balls won all the money every time. as was in most games you didnt make tricky.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Have any of you guys ever tried your one pocket to a weak player's five? Especially against an eight or nine ball banger that has reached that stage in there game where they can pocket balls, but they haven't developed cue ball control that much :) Again, if they splash, you have to be able to run and/or duck pretty well. But it can be a very appealing handicap offer to someone who has never played One Pocket before. And if they win at 1 against 5, you can adjust to 1 vs 4, and 1 vs 3, and before too long they are playing a "pocket apiece" :D

beatle

Verified Member
lots of five pockets to one played in the east. both in nine ball(on the nine ball) and in one pocket. also one back pocket to one front was the most common game, as well as four pockets to two (two sides and two corners) and sometime a corner and a side against one corner.

this was ways to make a game and not because people were creative. after beating someone at all the other types of games you had to make new games to get action. it also really taught you how to move as you faced lots of new circumstances.
jersey red was the best i ever saw at taking a back pocket. but he was about the best i ever saw at one pocket anyway. most of the very good players wouldnt give out spots like 10 to 4 so they had to go to the back and give only a few balls. the guy taking the back pocket always broke as he had to send something up there.
i need to add that most times the game was played on a 5 by 10.

u12armresl

Verified Member
I've gotten 8-8 one stop (where they stop) and I get to keep going.

Lost two times with it to Larry York and to a local player who played one pocket really well.

The two times I lost at it they turned it into a game of banks by shipping all the balls up table.

Now I would take that game from anyone in the world lol.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
u12armresl said:
Lost two times with it to Larry York and to a local player who played one pocket really well.

Hey u12........How's Larry York doin'? - is he still playing?....I haven't seen him in about 10 years....we had a good battle one day at Chris's Billiards in Chicago about 12-15 years ago - we played for about 8-10 hours and broke dead even....He's a nice guy, I enjoyed playing him - he's real intense/serious when he plays, and he plays real hard.

- Ghost

PS, And he used to always travel with the same guy...had long hair and a beard and always wore a plaid flannel shirt - real nice guy - you know who I mean ?

Last edited:

u12armresl

Verified Member
Was that at the tournament up there?

I was with him there when Larry Schwartz and Steve Oaks were in the tournament and each had up something like 10 or 15 pennies and played one game forever.

He quit playing pool, paints pictures for a living, used to work for Breedlove.

I staked him for 12 years and it was some of the best years of my life. Guy would always be there in the end (although we never won a tournament) we got lots of 2nd 3rd and our nut was so low because all he ever wanted was a 2 liter of pepsi a loaf of bread and some bologna.

How are you doing?

BTW ghost you must play really sporty, larry is no slouch in One hole. Did you like how on a routine stop shot he'd let the cueball go out 5 rails ROFL ohhhhh the good days.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
u12armresl said:
Was that at the tournament up there?

I was with him there when Larry Schwartz and Steve Oaks were in the tournament and each had up something like 10 or 15 pennies and played one game forever.

He quit playing pool, paints pictures for a living, used to work for Breedlove.

I staked him for 12 years and it was some of the best years of my life. Guy would always be there in the end (although we never won a tournament) we got lots of 2nd 3rd and our nut was so low because all he ever wanted was a 2 liter of pepsi a loaf of bread and some bologna.

How are you doing?

BTW ghost you must play really sporty, larry is no slouch in One hole. Did you like how on a routine stop shot he'd let the cueball go out 5 rails ROFL ohhhhh the good days.

I think we did play when Larry came in for a tournament, but I don't remember which tournament...maybe 9 ball....

He makes a living painting pictures ?....that's a surprise...how does he make a living doing that, and how come he quit playing pool ?

- Ghost

PS, Steve Oaks...yeah, he played pretty sporty, all games.