Opportunity

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
If anyone wants to start running handicap 1p tournaments, I have developed a system including formulas, etc... I live in the Bay Area (San Francisco, CA) and have been going to the Open 1p tournaments that are held in Sacramento, Mountain View, and San Francisco (check the papers). I've been entering them all, and once I lose I sit and collect data on the remaining matches.

Actually, even when I'm playing I collect data because there is surprisingly little needed to provide a handicapping system for 1p. My Data Sheet includes the usual info (names, id#, etc...) as well as game info. The game info is only recorded after the first inning-and-a-half (break, return, and breaker's second shot) and after the game has ended; that's how the players can record their own data and therefore, Thank God, there are no scorekeepers necessary.

There are nine levels of ability in my system and three factors will determine what level a player resides in: their break, their return, and their weighted ball score.

Enough for now,
I1PL :rolleyes:

TIMBER1

Verified Member
From
Houston,Tx
One pocket Handicap System

One pocket Handicap System

I for one would be very interested in your system, I,ve been moiling over ways to hold one pocket tournaments and leagues for sometime now. Please tell us more.
Tim

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
Beggars CAN be choosers!

Beggars CAN be choosers!

I'm a Mathematician, so if this gets too nerdy you have to tell me so I don't scare everybody off. And I'll limit myself to two short paragraphs so not to ward off other readers.

So, I think we would all agree that scorekeeping a one-pocket game is intolerable inning by inning and a system based on this amount of data would surely fail, not due to inaccuracy but due to the shear unwillingness for a third party to scorekeep a 1p game. Thus, the players will have to collect whatever data is needed in order for any 1p system to have a chance (Disagreeers please reply; that's the most useful input). But, the last thing a 1p player wants to do is be bothered by data entry while attempting to enter the ZONE, so the data would have to be limited AND be sufficient enough to develop a valid system (again, disagreeers please respond).

I'm relatively new to the game, but in playing it for a couple of years now I have determined that the LUCK factor that exists prominantly in a 9b game is but a whee infant in 1p, which is great for developing a system to handicap 1p. Also, I have placed great importance on three aspects of the game: 1) one's break shot, 2) how one returns an opponent's break shot, and, of course, the final ball score of the game (mathematically weighed).

I'm perfectly willing to accept the fact that there may be no system to satisfy the requirements of a successful 1p handicapping system. And only through the discourse on this forum can we determine that.

I1;)

Guda

Math Formula

Math Formula

So what's the mathematical formula?

Official_Donator

I may not be a Mathematician, but I'm pretty well versed when it comes to numbers. Being a computer programmer can also help with some of the logic. If I've learned anything at all by playing this game, it's mostly about controlling that ball without any numbers on it. What does anyone think about factoring in the number of unintentional scratches to the handicap? There's no way to quantify "sellouts" and the consequences of them (besides, the final score will indicate that), but putting whitey in the hole when you don't mean to is a pretty obvious way to show a player needs a little help in the handicap department seeing how they can't control the rock.

I have one question about your system as I was trying to dream one up of my own. Does yours include something like "if player A always beats player B and player B always beats player C, then player A should easily beat player C?" I would have a very difficult time justifying this method as styles of play can mesh just right to make player C against player A a decent match.

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
Heavy Math

Heavy Math

GUDA,
The formula is a simple expression using division and addition. Sometimes a perfect stop shot is the most beatuful thing! The formula does use four variables: a player's weighted ball average (much like a baseball player's average), their break and return factors (summands really), and the all-important I factor.

I agree OD,
the deductive property of Talent does not apply in any game that involves one's mind! Getting inside one's head is nonquantifiable.

Here's a jist of how I envision a local handicap tournament going. First, the tournament director has to be a House regular, one who knows the relative rankings of most of the players; a player's meeting would suffice but noone likes meetings! Next, all the players are placed in initial levels; I currently have 9 levels that range from Novice to Elite. Each of these levels have corresponding Ball Averages and Break and Return factors. To start the tournament, the director hands a Data Sheet to the two players who will be competing. On this Data Sheet is the usual info as well as the 'spot'; the 'spots' range from even-up to 12-4. My Mom has a chance against Efren if she 8-ball-breaks the rack and prays heavily the night before!! Now here's the great part: the players collect their own data only once DURING the game, namely after an inning-and-a-half; they are then free to play the game and need only record the final ball score before starting another. The director then mails the sheets to me; I input and process the data and mail back fancy looking stat sheets with ratios and other performance numbers, etc...

I'll attach (in the near future), pictures of the Data Sheet and the Level Chart.

Thanks for participating in the process of possibly perfecting a system for handicapping 1p.

I1:)

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
Not to be a nay sayer but,whatever system you come up with to handicap the players, the players will find ways to manipulate it. They're so crooked, they have to screw their socks on in the morning.... imo
Doug (included in the 'they're)

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
Have FAITH SB

Have FAITH SB

Read my last post below...The I factor really is ALL-IMPORTANT.

Trust that I am very intellegent and that there may be a really good (and someday perfect) Handicapping system for 1p.

The only NEXT STEP is actual tournament data. So, I will mail to anyone the three sheets required to start running handicap 1p tournaments. All I ask is that you tip your Tournament Director and this site's owner(s); none of this could ever happen without either!

This formula is my baby; I need to feed it nourishing data. Trust me, it will grow up to be a marvelous thing that will serve us well.

I1

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
I1PL said:
Trust that I am very intellegent and that there may be a really good (and someday perfect) Handicapping system for 1p.
This formula is my baby; I need to feed it nourishing data. Trust me, it will grow up to be a marvelous thing that will serve us well.
I1

Of course, I wish you all the best and much success but, I am 60 years old. Perhaps my grandchildren will reap the rewards of this gallant endeavor of honest self-handicapping....
Doug
(btw, Jamie Farrel in New Orleans had a handicapped one-pocket League, where if you won your match two weeks in a row you went 'up' a ball and if you lost two weeks in a row you went 'down' a ball. All sixteen players played each of the others,one per week.)

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
There you go!

There you go!

Give me a couple days Josh...I'm digitizing them soon. I could Post-office mail you some if you want? (need your address).
I1

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
Us

Us

Hey SmorgassBored...we're all just one morning old! I look at it this way, you're wiser than most uf us other one-morning-year-olds, so yours is the perfect kind of feedback I (WE) need. I'm really interested in creating a "perfect" 1p handicapping system. Think of the reward (for YOU and your gkids), effortless and beautiful 1p tournaments where every player can freely express themself through the beautiful artform that 1p is.

Ah Crap, my soapbox just broke!

fg