Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Ok, let's stop being too polite. Nobody in their right mind comes off the 11 and goes 4 rails like that.

The 4 rail potential foul is a good option.

It's really easy to lose the cb drawing off the 11 down the rail on that other shot. It's just so easy to lose the entire game with that shot. If you're gonna take a chance at losing the game, you should at least have a shot at winning it, as Grady used to say.

In a rough break like this, you guys ever thought about this shot...... Fire the ten into the 6 and the balls by his hole and force the cb so as to freeze in the stack. I know you are leaving him on the wrong side of the stack but I think it's ok when you are in a tough spot like this. If you don't take a Chance here, or soon, and try to mix things up this game is gonna be over.

If there wasn't another good option I would shoot that shot. I also don't like the draw shot.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Ok, let's stop being too polite. Nobody in their right mind comes off the 11 and goes 4 rails like that....etc.

Tyler, Uncle Dick is very proud of you, for making such a profound, and accurate statement.. As he has noted before, this is typical of many of these WWYD's, where the shooter finds himself in a real dilemma.There are several options (none very appetizing) but I certainly agree with you..Only an idiot, non-player, would choose the option Mr.3-IQ is suggesting.. He has spent half a dozen posts, arguing with the best 1P players on the forum, and one of them even threw his hands up, and apologized, I'm sure just to end his bullheaded, opinionated, dead wrong tirade !

Uncle Dick considers himself a fair 1P player, and before he would shoot Mr.3-IQ's shot, he would just pay off, and start another game..(or shoot himself in the head)..This is typical of Mr3-IQ's attitude, in ANY situation he finds himself in, where the entire forum KNOWS he is showing his ass ! (aka; ignorance)

Uncle Dick has been on the recieving end of his crap for 5 years now, and it does his heart good to see you, and ALL the others, point out his complete lack of intelligence when it comes to one pocket. (and almost everything else he espouses)...He certainly agrees with you Tyler..being 'POLITE' is not the way to handle an illiterate, know-it-all, like Mr 3-IQ. :rolleyes:

Bufflohead--I know nothing about one pocket, but even 'I' would NOT shoot his shot ! :eek:

Late Edit;...Jtompilot just slipped several notches down, in Uncle Dick's highly accurate 'player evaluation' !.......... Tom, he says there are about 30 'better' options than 3-IQ's shot. :eek:

View attachment 10878

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

Gents. Respectfully. Please let's not let the flame wars bleed into these (WWYD) threads. Thanks :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think I would draw off on the 11 down under the 4. Not easy but possible IMO.

Actually, I think my shot would be to simply draw off the 11 down toward the corner (hopefully not in!), because the cue ball is well off the side rail to get a decent stroke on it. It is a great break because so many balls opened, even surviving the first few shots, Nevel won't have a chance unless he can pull off something fantastic, and soon!
...:focus.......tough shot but if anyone has the stroke to do it nevel does

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Ok, let's stop being too polite. Nobody in their right mind comes off the 11 and goes 4 rails like that.

It's really easy to lose the cb drawing off the 11 down the rail on that other shot. It's just so easy to lose the entire game with that shot. If you're gonna take a chance at losing the game, you should at least have a shot at winning it, as Grady used to say.

In a rough break like this, you guys ever thought about this shot...... Fire the ten into the 6 and the balls by his hole and force the cb so as to freeze in the stack. I know you are leaving him on the wrong side of the stack but I think it's ok when you are in a tough spot like this. If you don't take a Chance here, or soon, and try to mix things up this game is gonna be over.

...:focus.......tough shot but if anyone has the stroke to do it nevel does

it's funny how we see the table different based upon our comfort zone/experience/skill level, etc.... to ME, drawing off the stripe like mitch called is the only controllable thing there is. it's not on the rail and there is actually a pretty big margin of error for it - like steve said, just don't scratch....
:)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
What I would do is hit the top of the 8 ball with 3 o'clock English and stun the cue ball across to the side rail where the English takes and spins it below the 4.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
it's funny how we see the table different based upon our comfort zone/experience/skill level, etc.... to ME, drawing off the stripe like mitch called is the only controllable thing there is. it's not on the rail and there is actually a pretty big margin of error for it - like steve said, just don't scratch....

I almost said that in my post but I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get less wordy :D

I have been bitten by that shot leaking out so many times, some guys have better control of it as you say. But if he can see that 6 or 10 it's gonna be bad news. I have a better feel for the speed on that 4 railer though, it just feels kinda natural to ME :heh

I am almost positive I would should that take out..... 10 to the 6 and freeze onto "the wrong side" of the stack though.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
hey bufflohead....

just curious, what do you think uncle dick would shoot?

:eek::)

Sorry Mitch, but he actually agrees with Mr. 3-IQ :)eek:) regarding the value of WWYD's..."There is NO substitute for standing over the shot..All the pictures and videos in the world, cannot replace that view" !..This is why, just like 'aiming system' BS, there will always be bitterness, and insults (real and percieved) associated with WWYD's.. .."Every old crow, thinks theirs is the blackest"..Its called 'human nature' !

He realizes its all we have, but he chose long ago, not to participate in them..He can get in enough trouble, without them..;).. But if you want to pin him down Mitch, drawing off the 14(?) looks like a piece of cake to him,..(Plus, you are removing a ball from his side, and putting it on yours)..He says he will execute it perfectly 95% of the time, and never come close to scratching !.. Boy, would he love to gamble big $$$, with 3-IQ shooting his 'suicide' 4 railer, and him shooting his shot ;)

PS..Apologies to the people who were upset with his disruption of the WWYD's..You can have them all to yourself again...He still no likee ! :cool: (he just couldn't resist jumping all over another 'dead wrong' shot, by 'you know who')

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Not only would I be less likely to get safe drawing off the 11, the four-rail greatly increases -- for me -- the chance I reverse the trap with a perfect hit. If a person is ever going to shoot the 4-rail possible foul, this sets up about as perfectly as I can imagine.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

miller
i was tryng to get us back on track ASAP so i had to say something....:D
the 4 railer is a pretty easy shot for how the balls lay imho

( i have this dvd so my comments are not intended to sway anyones shot selection)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

Sorry Mitch, but he actually agrees with Mr. 3-IQ :)eek:) regarding the value of WWYD's..."There is NO substitute for standing over the shot..All the pictures and videos in the world, cannot replace that view" !..This is why, just like 'aiming system' BS, there will always be bitterness, and insults (real and percieved) associated with WWYD's.. .."Every old crow, thinks theirs is the blackest"..Its called 'human nature' !

He realizes its all we have, but he chose long ago, not to participate in them..He can get in enough trouble, without them..;).. But if you want to pin him down Mitch, drawing off the eleven looks like a piece of cake to him,..(Plus, you are removing a ball from his side, and putting it on yours)..He says he will execute it perfectly 95% of the time, and never come close to scratching !.. Boy, would he love to gamble big $$$, with 3-IQ shooting his 'suicide' 4 railer, and him shooting his shot ;)

PS..Apologies to the people who were upset with his disruption of the WWYD's..You can have them all to yourself again...He still no likee ! :cool: (he just couldn't resist jumping all over another 'dead wrong' shot, by 'you know who')

While I appreciate the answer (and that he agrees with my shot choice) it was not my question, but Miller's.

PS: come on Doc... Put us out of our misery :)

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
What I would do is hit the top of the 8 ball with 3 o'clock English and stun the cue ball across to the side rail where the English takes and spins it below the 4.

Do you mean 9 o'clock English? and isn't that what Patrick suggested?

I would probably try the carom off 11 then off the 6. If that's not looking good then play off the 13 ball (ball on the rail) and try to draw the ball down to about 1 1/2 diamond

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
petie:
WhatWouldWojoDo:
Do you mean 9 o'clock English? and isn't that what Patrick suggested?
I suggested hitting the 8 ball full and following straight after it to the bottom rail, spinning to the side rail with 9 o'clock. Takes a lot of spin with very precise speed control, and sellouts loom - I don't think I'm nearly as likely to get safe that way as with the 4-railer.

petie wants to hit the side rail first (stun carom off the 8) with 3 o'clock to spin under the 4. I'd take a scratch before trying that.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I don't believe any experienced 1pocket player is thinning the 11 and going four rails. At the speed required for that shot the side pocket becomes gigantic.

The four rail safe is pretty automatic.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Sorry to tell you guys this but I shot the three/four railer and I got behind the 4 three out of four times.

PS. Buffalo, Tell SJD he's got action on that three rail shot.