Paul Bruesloff

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
So as not to hijack the Rack thread, I thought I'd tell a story about a man who's legendary for his gambling exploits in this town. He was called "Jew Paul" by most. Paul Bruesloff was his name.

I have posted before about the first time I ever went into the Rack and I saw Paul playing Clyde Childress, getting 9-7 for $4000 a game. This is a story about another Rack, the R.A.C.. It was technically the Russian-American Club, owned by Steve Lomako, but all of the players knew it was the RackII. It was a private club and stayed open 24 hours if needed.

This is a tale of Paul's gambling abilities and most of all, his endurance. I believe he was in his 70's at least, back in 2002 or 2003 when this story takes place. Of course my memory could be off a little but I'm close.

Paul was playing in the backroom poker game when I arrived that night. I think the game started around 4 or 5p.m..

At about 10p.m., Paul quit the poker game and we made a game playing one-pocket on an extremely tight Gold Crown. I think I was giving him 11-6 for $100 a game. I lost the first six games in a row and then won the next two games.

In game number 9 I needed 6 balls and made 5 tough shots to get on the hill. I had shapes on a 1 rail, cross-corner bank, with the object ball just off the rail between our pockets and the cueball set up perfect for banking the ball and sending the cueball uptable. I made the bank but the cueball just dribbles into the side pocket. Paul makes a long straight-in down his rail and banks the second ball on the spot to win the game. I'm down five games.

I rack the balls for game #10, lay my stick on the table, and go to the men's room. When I come back Paul is talking with a couple of guys from New York who just walked in as I was away.

I will not tolerate people distracting me when I am playing and I considered asking the guys to move away from our table. But they are trying to make a game with Paul and they are going to bet $1000 a game. I decide to quit and play Paul another time(never happened). My $100 was nothing compared to what these guys were going to bet and I was willing to let it go till later.

It's now probably close to 2 a.m.. Paul starts playing the guy for $1000 a game, I don't remember how they played. Long story short, I get tired and go home to sleep. I return at aprox. 6 p.m. the next evening. Paul is still playing the same guy, the same game.

When I walk in, the N.Y. guy goes to the men's room. Paul sees me and says (very loudly) "who has more customers than me?" Without missing a beat I reply "McDonalds". All of the railbugs crack up.

I think Paul was down 6 or 7 games when I arrived but over the course of the next 7 or 8 hours he gets even and the guy quits.

The guy's buddy is sleeping in their car in the parking lot and Paul tells him to go and get the other guy. The other guy is the better player and Paul probably assumes that. He comes in, fresh as a daisy and starts playing Paul for $1000 a game, giving him 10-7. It's now around 1 a.m. or so. I watch till around 6 a.m. or so and go home to sleep. Paul has been in poker & pool action for 36-38 hours now.

Paul wears sneakers with the entire toe area cut off so that his sock-covered toes can stick out and be comfortable. He looks like a well dressed, classy gentleman, which he was, until you looked down at his feet and saw his socks sticking out the front.

After going home and sleeping and returning the next night, I arrived to find Paul still playing the second guy 10-7. This is probably around 6 p.m. again. Paul has been in action for 48 hours now and I've gone home twice, to sleep. But now Paul is stuck 7 or 8 games and ends up quitting, out of cash, a few hours later.

This is a man in his 70's at the time and maybe closer to 80 yrs. old. He is/was great to gamble with and all you have to do to beat him is stay awake for 5 or 6 days. Oh yeah, you also have to outplay him and outgamble him.

Not too many players ever put fear into me, but I knew from the start that Paul was not going anywhere when we started playing and that I would have to outlast him. Circumstances happened out the way they did and I never got a chance to try to outlast him. Which I could not have done anyway.

This is my story about the one time that I played Paul Bruesloff, I would like to hear others from some of you old-timers.

Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Great story Dennis... I like the long ones with lots of detail.

How did Paul become rich? Was he a multi-millionaire? Did he still work all the time he was gambling at the Rack?

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
If you remember, he played the first kid, then the second, then the first one again.

They tag-teamed him. Took two young guns to bring him down.

I can't remember for sure right now but I think it was Ryan McCreesh and Tommy DiLorenzo that time.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stevelomako said:
If you remember, he played the first kid, then the second, then the first one again.

I can't remember for sure right now but I think it was Ryan McCreesh and Tommy DiLorenzo that time.

Steve,

Your memory is better than mine. You were there working the room and I was only a spectator. My main point is how much of an "animal"(as Enzo called him) that Paul was. My version is close but maybe not entirely accurate as to the guys he played and when. But the total times are close and Paul was an "animal".

Dennis

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Dennis, I love this story cause its just stupid funny.

Paul was playing James Walden in the club and Enzo was working. He tells Enzo to make him a Ham and Cheese sandwich.

Enzo says "What do you want on it?"

Paul Looks at him funny and says "What did you say?"

Enzo says "What do you want on it Paul?"

Paul says in his booming voice "Whaaaat paaaart of Haaaaaam and Cheeeese don't you understand??"

Enzo goes and makes the sandwich and comes back and puts it at Pauls table.

Paul picks it up and pulls the top slice of bread off and tells Enzo "Wheeerrrres the Mustard?"

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

Your memory is better than mine. You were there working the room and I was only a spectator. My main point is how much of an "animal"(as Enzo called him) that Paul was. My version is close but maybe not entirely accurate as to the guys he played and when. But the total times are close and Paul was an "animal".

Dennis

You were damn close enough.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stevelomako said:
Dennis, I love this story cause its just stupid funny.

Paul was playing James Walden in the club and Enzo was working. He tells Enzo to make him a Ham and Cheese sandwich.

Enzo says "What do you want on it?"

Paul Looks at him funny and says "What did you say?"

Enzo says "What do you want on it Paul?"

Paul says in his booming voice "Whaaaat paaaart of Haaaaaam and Cheeeese don't you understand??"

Enzo goes and makes the sandwich and comes back and puts it at Pauls table.

Paul picks it up and pulls the top slice of bread off and tells Enzo "Wheeerrrres the Mustard?"

Now I'm crying, laughing Steve.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
How about the time he played that rat Eric Durbin at the club?

Fat Willy and somebody else were staking Durbin a thousand a game Durbin giving 9-5.

After about 23 hours Eric is up 15,000 and makes a comment to Willy "I think I finally got the old guy cracked".

Paul looks over and says "What did you say?"

Eric looks at him and says "What?"

Paul walks over to those guys and tells Eric "I'll bet 10,000 you quit before I do".

Well, they're all looking stupid at each other and Erics getting all nervous looking and Paul says "Thats what I thought" and goes back to the table.

Well Durbin looks like a whipped little b*tch.

Paul wins the next...13 (thirteen) in a row...and Durbin quits 2 games winner (he did ask Paul if he could first so he would have some walking money)

That was a beautiful thing, that offer he outlasts him.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stevelomako said:
That was a beautiful thing, that offer he outlasts him.

Steve,

Just from what little I was around Paul, I could not even imagine anybody, ever, outlasting him. Enzo told some stories about Paul playing guys for 4 or 5days and even though the guys might have had the best of the game, they ended up losing because they couldn't outlast him.

As Steve said earlier, Paul was a thru ticket if you could beat him. Otherwise, you had to play great and outlast him.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

Just from what little I was around Paul, I could not even imagine anybody, ever, outlasting him. Enzo told some stories about Paul playing guys for 4 or 5days and even though the guys might have had the best of the game, they ended up losing because they couldn't outlast him.

As Steve said earlier, Paul was a thru ticket if you could beat him. Otherwise, you had to play great and outlast him.

Dennis

Great stories guys !

Reminds me of some of my sessions with Greg Stevens and Ray Humphries. (Rod may verify) You were a "no good, chicken s--t, p---k, MFer,... if you ever quit one of them before they were out of cash...I never did. :eek:

Many times I used to pray they couldn't pump any more $$$... 72 hours, was routine with those guys.

Sounds like Jew Paul, Artie, Greg, and I could have had some knock down, drag out partner games, back in the day.

RA used to stipulate, before any of our match-ups..."And there ain't gonna be no f-ing "vampire pool" either". That was his word for an all-nighter.
I know Jay has said RA could play long sessions if he had to...but I've never seen him play more than 24 hrs. in a row. Even if his meds were right, he was not a marathon guy.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Great stories guys !

Reminds me of some of my sessions with Greg Stevens and Ray Humphries. (Rod may verify) You were a "no good, chicken s--t, p---k, MFer,... if you ever quit one of them before they were out of cash...I never did. :eek:

Many times I used to pray they couldn't pump any more $$$... 72 hours, was routine with those guys.

Sounds like Jew Paul, Artie, Greg, and I could have had some knock down, drag out partner games, back in the day..

SJD, you're correct. In order to make any money on 19th street, you had to play till the game was over or get hi-jacked. 4or5 days was normal for Greg and I saw Ray get on the table (we did that for years) and stretch out to shoot and lay his head down and fall asleep before he shot. Ray and I had been playing about 30 hours once and he'd paid me the last game with change. He said I need to take a short break, it was 4:30AM. He had a trailer behind the pool room, he went and took a shower, put on a fresh shirt and aftershave. Now it was almost 5:AM, guys came by for coffee on their way to work, he told them Rod beat me yesterday, but I'd been up. I'm fresh now, and got some new stakehorses.
Rod.

jay helfert

Verified Member
stevelomako said:

Steve, maybe it was Tommy D'Alfonso and not Dilorenzo. Tommy D. is no kid, over 60 now.

jay helfert

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Great stories guys !

Sounds like Jew Paul, Artie, Greg, and I could have had some knock down, drag out partner games, back in the day.

RA used to stipulate, before any of our match-ups..."And there ain't gonna be no f-ing "vampire pool" either". That was his word for an all-nighter.
I know Jay has said RA could play long sessions if he had to...but I've never seen him play more than 24 hrs. in a row. Even if his meds were right, he was not a marathon guy.

I never saw Ronnie play for 24 hours. He might play all night and quit in the morning, but that was maybe a 12-14 hour session. If the other player wanted to keep playing, Ronnie would agree to come back the next day at a certain time. He was smart enough to get proper rest and food. Ronnie was a pretty smart pool player, just not quite so smart a horse player. :eek:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jay helfert said:
I never saw Ronnie play for 24 hours. He might play all night and quit in the morning, but that was maybe a 12-14 hour session. If the other player wanted to keep playing, Ronnie would agree to come back the next day at a certain time. He was smart enough to get proper rest and food. Ronnie was a pretty smart pool player, just not quite so smart a horse player. :eek:
Ronnie was probably smart enough to realize that he ought not play when the mixture wasn't right, or when it started to wear down. He probably instinctively knew that he had to take a break in order for the booze, coke or pills to be able to have the desired effect again.

That's why Wanderone and Squirrel and a few others were so smart: they never used anything when they played, whereas a lot of the guys were flyin' high or drinking. It was to be only a matter of time until the opponents wore down.

Squirrel told me that he beat a top player one time in a marathon 2-3 day session. The guy was drinking or drugging, but Squirrel just used milk and honey. He said the guy started coming apart, wouldn't quit, and Squirrel just emptied him out.

Doc

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
lll said:
no one answered the question , how did paul get so rich?

Thanks Larry, I'll have to run all my questions thru you, cuz no one answered any of my questions in my post, until you asked the same question.

I'm starting to feel a little ignored. Is it my personality, my way with words, does my humor offend, do I come off as being a a$$hole?:confused: :D

Because it's right around the holidays and I don't want to be depressed:rolleyes: :D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It aint so, Red

It aint so, Red

CaliRed said:
Thanks Larry, I'll have to run all my questions thru you, cuz no one answered any of my questions in my post, until you asked the same question.

I'm starting to feel a little ignored. Is it my personality, my way with words, does my humor offend, do I come off as being a a$$hole?:confused: :D

Because it's right around the holidays and I don't want to be depressed:rolleyes: :D

Naw, you happen to be one of the few posters who dont regularly piss me off.

Beard